Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esper Aggro

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Crystopher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Esper Aggro Reply with quote

I wasn't too hyped about ALA when it first came out, but then I took a deeper look at the various shards and I came to like the idea of the Esper. It combines 3 of what I believe are very powerful colors for control and uses my favorite card type, Artifacts. I've been trying to throw something together out of it and this is what I came up with. It's still a work in progress, but I'd like any and all feedback, positive and negative.

// Lands
4 [ALA] Arcane Sanctum
3 [ALA] Swamp (3)
3 [ALA] Plains (1)
7 [ALA] Island (1)
2 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
3 [ALA] Esper Panorama

// Creatures
3 [ALA] Windwright Mage
4 [ALA] Etherium Sculptor
3 [ALA] Master of Etherium
3 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
3 [ALA] Tidehollow Strix
3 [ALA] Deft Duelist

// Spells
3 [LRW] Cryptic Command
2 [ALA] Obelisk of Esper
3 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
3 [ALA] Esper Charm
2 [10E] Wrath of God
3 [MOR] Negate
3 [10E] Remove Soul

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
SB: 3 [LRW] Pollen Lullaby
SB: 3 [ALA] Hindering Light
SB: 3 [10E] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [SHM] Runed Halo
Cheemo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you're aggroi say take the wrath of god of and put AGONY WARP instead this really could help ethersworn canonist could help slowing down kithkins too you can put infest in sideboard if you want
Crystopher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I forgot about Canonist! Should I maindeck or s/b him? Also, is Agony Warp really a better option than Wrath? That's probably a noob question, but I'm at a loss for that one. Also, wouldn't Infest be more of a hindrance to me?
Crystopher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark_myth44 wrote:
-infest kills all of your guys...
-agony wrap is awsome because if you attack and he blocks thinking tis going to resolve in a 1 for 1 your play agony wrap making his creep not do any damage then the other ability on another of his creeps killing 2 of his and none of yours

-you have 9 t2 creeps that are all mana intensive

Instead of just pointing that out, mind putting out ideas to circumvent that?
Crystopher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILikeBananas wrote:
You need to decide if it's going to be control or aggro. Wrath of god is extremely anti synergistic with your low curve creatures.

You need 4 cryptic commands regardless or aggro/control, as it's pretty much the best spell in standard. If you're going control, I'd run 4 esper charms.

The mana base can be improved. Run some filter lands and also 4 reflecting pools. The panorama is no good if you want to be aggro. It's ok in control but unless you're going budget, filter lands are superior. If going aggro, there's no need for the obelisk.

Etherium sculptor has very little synergy. All your creatures have only colored mana costs except for master of etherium.

I'd cut negate and/or remove soul for agony warps and/or executioner's capsule.

Windwright mage isn't very good. It gets outclassed by too many creatures at the 3 slot. If the flying wasn't situational, it might be playable. Gaining life is pretty relevant vs the super fast decks.

Basically get a better aim of the overall deck you want first. I think esper is better as control than aggro since tribal aggro creatures will usually outclass esper creatures.

You must've posted this just before I put my last post Razz I'm still not too sure which way I want to go either. Before ALA, i ran UW Merfolk Aggro, so I'm used to having a nice balance of aggro and control. I think I'd prefer to go along with a control deck, as that's the main reason I started playing blue. Also, explain to me what types of lands you mean by filter lands. I'm only a casual player, so I don't bother with the slang terms most of the time.
trueeevil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad deft duelist is one of the best 2 drops atm.
SniperMayer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!

@ILikeBananas: Have you ever seen a real aggro deck? I bet no, because 4 Wrath of God looks horroristic in that list... As C Commands do so.

Imo, if you want to play aggro, try Ornithopter+Salvage Titan.
Cut Duelist for Gargoyle.

You only need Sculptor if you have some spells that need some cost lowering. Try 2-3 Sharding Sphinx and Puppet Conjurer.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etherium Sculptor is generally not worth it unless if you were ramping with artifact mana.

Wrath of God should ideally be played before you play any creatures, so that it trades with as many opposing creatures and as few of your own creatures as possible. This means that it doesn't fit in aggro but in control.

Panoramas suck when you have so many coloured casting costs the first three turns. The only way to fix 2-3 colours by turn 2-3 in Standard is to play ALA lands and/or Vivid lands plus Reflecting Pool and filter lands, as well as painlands... that translates to no basics at all.

The point of your deck is Master of Etherium. Play 4.

Play Agony Warp, Executioner's Capsule, Cryptic Command, Tower Gargoyle and maybe a couple of Sharuum the Hegemon.
Crystopher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SniperMayer wrote:
OMG!

@ILikeBananas: Have you ever seen a real aggro deck? I bet no, because 4 Wrath of God looks horroristic in that list... As C Commands do so.

Imo, if you want to play aggro, try Ornithopter+Salvage Titan.
Cut Duelist for Gargoyle.

You only need Sculptor if you have some spells that need some cost lowering. Try 2-3 Sharding Sphinx and Puppet Conjurer.

Umm, from what I saw of that list he was giving me ideas towards a control deck..in any case, I'm still working on it and I'll post what I came up with sometime later. Too lazy for it now.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1