Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BGW Doran

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
JimmyXu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joker: just a funny note, don't ever test on MWSPlay with my SB. If you ever go turn 2 disruption, turn 3 disruption, turn 4 disruption. Which often happens because after board, there are 12 point discard spell, 95% of people will just quit.

I notice you suggested taking out the kitchen finks in my list to support more elves. This is interesting because I originally had perfect in place of finks because I didn't think Finks was good... BOY was I wrong. Finks is amazing in every matchup. So maybe the best thing for me to do is go with your call and drop the vanquishers... though it pains me to do so.

With regards to the SB, I would keep these slots...
4x distress
2x liliana vess
4x infest

But the other 5 slots, I'm not really sure what I want. I know I want something that deals with CC and possibly cloudthreshers against Faeries.
nonroker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Doran list seems solid now. I'm just wondering if there's a place for Doran in the current standard. Blue is really dominating right now.

I'm still occasionally running my Assassin-Doran variant. I like it. Its good against Kithkin, and has game against most other decks. Decks running white control spells gives it nightmares, though.

//Land (25)
4 x Twilight Mire
4 x Vivid Marsh
4 x Vivid Meadow
4 x Vivid Grove
4 x Murmuring Bosk
4 x Reflecting pool
1 x Forest

//Creatures (19)
4 x Doran
4 x Treefolk Harbinger
4 x Chameleon Colossus
4 x Scarblade Elite
3 x Cloudthresher

//Other spells (16)
4 x Nameless Inversion
4 x Crib swap
4 x Profane Command
4 x Firespout

//Sideboard
4 x Guttaral response
3 x Oversoul of Dusk
3 x Raking Canopy
1 x Tilling Treefolk
4 x Gleeful sabotage

The large number of vivids + reflecting pool help support red Firepspouts. There is few turn one plays, so the vivids aren't as big as a problem as they might appear at first glance. Turn 3 Doran is very easy to pull off. In fact I have yet to have seen a hand containing either a Doran or a Harbinger where i couldn't get 3rd turn Doran into play
The tilling treefolk might seem a little random. But if Fulminator mages start seeing even more play than they do already, I'm going to upgrade the number of copies on that card. Its a treefolk, so it can be fetched with harbinger. And it can neutralize LD in a very Life from the loam-esque way.

The Scarblade elite is the real reason this deck has game against Kithkin (the firespouts help too, of course). When I untap with a Scarblade Elite in play, my nameless inversions and crib swaps suddenly kill two creatures. Should a Chameleon collosus die in combat, he can also be uses as ammunition for the Scarblade.

The raking canopy, in combination with firespout and Cloudthresher is a way to handle faeries. Its not a permanent solution, but it helps. Its really good against Red Deck Wins, too, since it shuts down Demigod and Hell's thunder. Forever, thanks to reds lack of enchantment removal. Against red decks boarding out the scarblades is usually a good idea. They just let your opponent timewalk you with a magma spray.
JimmyXu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nonroker: Its funny you mentioned how viable Doran is against Blue-Based control. The version that I'm running with 4x Tidehollow Sculler and 4x Thoughtseize has a pretty good matchup (and by pretty good, I mean like 55/45). However, if you take out those discard elements, the matchup percentage goes way down. That's the reason why even though sometimes there seems to be many cards better suited to the deck than Sculler (i.e., more elves, Stillmoon Cavalier, Troll Ascetic), I'm loathe to take them out.
Coupled with the fact that after board, 6 MORE discard spells come in, the matchup almost forces them to topdeck against you.
JimmyXu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, that's why I like Liliana Vess more than Mind Shatter.
Sometimes, when you mind shatter a QnT opponent, you have to back it up with a threat, with Liliana, although she doesn't get the whole hand at once, she's discard and a threat all unto herself.
nonroker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's 5 mana, though. She can be hard to resolve.

And all that discard might make your control matchups much easier, you're aggro matchups suffers as a result. Hmmmm. I really do hope there is a place for Doran in Standard.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2