Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reveilark

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Errect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reveilark Reply with quote

If A creature with X power is in my graveyard for instance Mortivore. Can he be brought back with the lark?
SniperMayer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFC. X counts as 0.
mtgsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

no it doesnt. even if it in grave you have to count its power/ resi . Only a real 0/0 (like bodydouble) can be brought back with reveillark
SniperMayer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I cast Ignite Memories FE, and my opponent show a chalice of the void, then he loses 0 life, cuz X=0. I think the method is the same.
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope you can not bring back creatures such as goyf with lark unless their power would actually be 2 or less. I do not know the technical reason for this I am sure someone else will provide it but I am 100% certain this is right.
LONE_GUNMAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creature cards retain their information about p/t.

Examples:

Tarmogoyf in graveyard with a land, he would be a 2/3
Mortivore with 4 OTHER creature cards in the graveyard he is a 5/5
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lets start by addressing a misconception: there is no such thing as an X in the power, instead stars are used. That is precisely because they are closely related but not the same.

Where an X is zero anywhere it is not defined (which means X is zero except on the stack in 99% of the cases), the stars in a P/T are always defined and thus always 'active'. No matter where your Tarmogoyf or Mortivore is, the P/T setting ability 'works' and the P/T of the creature is thus the same as if it would be in play.

Therefor you can only return a Mortivore with Reveillark if no other creatures in any graveyard are present (both Mortivore and Reveillark will be in the graveyard when the triggered ability of Reveillark goes on the stack, so it'll have power 2 at the very least).

208.2. Some creature cards have power and/or toughness represented by a * instead of a number. The object has a characteristic-defining ability that sets its power and/or toughness according to some stated condition. This ability functions everywhere, even outside the game. If the ability needs to use a number that can’t be determined, use 0 instead of that number.
Example: Lost Order of Jarkeld has power and toughness each equal to 1+*. It says “As Lost Order of Jarkeld comes into play, choose an opponent” and “Lost Order of Jarkeld’s power and toughness are each equal to 1 plus the number of creatures that opponent controls.” While Lost Order of Jarkeld isn’t in play, there won’t be a chosen opponent. Its power and toughness will each be equal to 1 plus 0, so it’s a 1/1.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1