Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reworking "Other Formats" Rules

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reworking "Other Formats" Rules Reply with quote

Hi,
Seeing the Guides for Other Format decks such as Rainbow Stairwell, MYOS, EDH are outdated, I rewrite that part.

Unfortunately, I am not as competitive in for example, Chamaeleon as I am in MYOS, therefore might need some suggestions for banlists/changes of the formats.

For example: Gaddock Teeg will be added to the Rainbow Stairwell Banlist, as will be Strip Mine (Strip Mine not banned, but Wasteland is atm)...

I will also create official Magic-league Highlander rules (oriented strongly at the magicplayer.org rules) to that section.

Any comments about, in your opinion, needed changes are appreciated, I will look at all suggestions.

What I do not want here are rants about how the suggestions of one user are bad or not. Give me your view here, dont pull down another persons view, thank you.

Edit: the current rules can be found at http://magic-league.com/guide/other_formats.php
Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks flippi for always working hard for Magic-League

i was wondering if we could ever get vanguard games going. i have always wanted to use those little cards that just sit there
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Vanguard "play" work?

What rules of the game do Vanguards modify ?

Last edited by derflippi on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ACM
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess it works like a normal game of magic, except that the rules are modified according to the character you are playing as.
ant900

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanguard is pretty much just a normal game of magic except you have an "avatar" like card that starts off 'in play' (well not really in play since it isn't a permanent, more like RFGed). The vanguard can not be targeted or effected by any other card. Each vanguard card has a starting life and max/starting cards modifier as well as an additional ability. The abilities are just like normal magic abilities in that they are either static, triggered, or activated, and can be answered to accordingly (they can be responded to, stifled, ect...).

Beyond that I guess the only thing to consider is which vanguards should we use. Should we use the original ones that came out in special box sets years ago, or the MTGO ones (or hell, our own original ones Smile )
Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a mix of the 3?

i would love to see all formats sometimes run with avatars. would be an interesting twist
ykpon
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippi, i dont understand banning teeg in rainbow stairwell. i know that 4cc+ noncreature spells are important in this format. also i know u can play 2 teegs if u want. but omg its vintage.. u always habe stuff like stp, deed, vindicate etc in ur deck. also u can run a lot of good cheap tutors if u want... i mean it looks like ur combo lost against teeg in the latest mini so u decided to ban it instead of replacing any card in ur deck with any removal u can always tutor for. i remember one of judges wanted to improve legacy tribal on m-l when that format was quite popular. so he made his alternative rules here on forum, it was just banlist including a ton of different card. absolutely each tribe lost some key cards like legacy tribal became absolutely dead here after it. i dont want it to be repeated with stairwell which imo can become as popular as myos at least.

btw obviously i agree with banning strip mine and wanna play vanguard too.

ykpon
ACM
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to play vanguard, be it with the originals, the MTGS ones or even avatars made by the ML staff.
tcook589

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to play some vanguard formats.
Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we could even have tournaments every couple months for people to design there own Vanguard cards

ML staffers can be like the Magic R&D and decide
Welran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

What wrong with Juzam Djinn in peasant magic?
and I suggest to ban Skullclamp there.
and in Elder Dragon Highlander Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero times better then banned Roffelos. and why Kokusho, Protean Hulk, Riftsweaper, grindstone and lion's eye diamond banned there?
Spyx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banning skullclamp in peasant seems good. juzam djinn is perfectly fine.
also about tribal. zombie goblin and elf are restricted at the moment. but seeing how merfolk, faeries and even kithkin are also quite good now would this still be fair?
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tribal rules definitely need work, correct.
stone_d
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't someone made ALT-tribel rules once.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyx wrote:
banning skullclamp in peasant seems good. juzam djinn is perfectly fine.
also about tribal. zombie goblin and elf are restricted at the moment. but seeing how merfolk, faeries and even kithkin are also quite good now would this still be fair?

Jeweled Bird Timmerian Fiends
Bronze Tablet Brain Freeze
Ali From Cairo Bazaar of Baghdad
Berserk Candelabra of Tawnos
Diamond Valley Juzam Djinn
Library of Alexandria Mana Drain
Mishra’s Workshop

This is the usual banned list in peasant and I think it should stay that way. Arabian Nights didn't have rares and I think it's pretty well understood that Juzam should be a rare (and Strip Mine should count as an uncommon). Not to mention Juzam is very playable as your uncommons in suicide black. Peasant hangs in a fine balance as it is, I don't see any reason to mess with it as no deck is broken.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1