Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regardding judges who make 1700+ only events and such

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
warwizard87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Regardding judges who make 1700+ only events and such Reply with quote

Honestly i been around awhile on line, and have never seen anything like this, events set up just for the judge basically serve only the judge. judges are employed ( using the term loosely) to run events in channel for the amusement of the players. They get to chose which formats they run. But how ethical is it that they can place player restrictions on events? Just becouse a judge runs a event on the side that's non 1700+ don't mean they should be able to run another that's limited on players.

I feel this practice simply creates a elitist environment that is nothing, but detrimental to a leagues health, the only event that should be "invitation only" should be the events the end of the year events.
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Regardding judges who make 1700+ only events and such Reply with quote

warwizard87 wrote:
Honestly i been around awhile on line, and have never seen anything like this, events set up just for the judge basically serve only the judge. judges are employed ( using the term loosely) to run events in channel for the amusement of the players. They get to chose which formats they run. But how ethical is it that they can place player restrictions on events? Just becouse a judge runs a event on the side that's non 1700+ don't mean they should be able to run another that's limited on players.

I feel this practice simply creates a elitist environment that is nothing, but detrimental to a leagues health, the only event that should be "invitation only" should be the events the end of the year events.

my rating is NO where near 1700 but i agree with 1700+ tourneys. Why?

because to try and advance in these games, the higher your ranking is the higher players you need to play. If some guy who has 1850 with a petty good deck is playing against my 1580 and some rogue thing, he isn't going to get any kind of skill from playing.

So limiting who can play will sharpen skills and probably make it more fun. i understand where you are coming from, but if you look at the stats. for every 1 1700+ tourney there are like 25-30 regular ones
brimstone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Regardding judges who make 1700+ only events and such Reply with quote

warwizard87 wrote:

The last mini that were 1700+:
http://www.magic-league.com/tournament/info.php?id=45824
It was run on 9/27, I don't get why you're complaining now
Kytep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Regardding judges who make 1700+ only events and such Reply with quote

Delicious wrote:

my rating is NO where near 1700 but i agree with 1700+ tourneys. Why?

because to try and advance in these games, the higher your ranking is the higher players you need to play. If some guy who has 1850 with a petty good deck is playing against my 1580 and some rogue thing, he isn't going to get any kind of skill from playing.

So limiting who can play will sharpen skills and probably make it more fun. i understand where you are coming from, but if you look at the stats. for every 1 1700+ tourney there are like 25-30 regular ones

Agreed. Now, if all - or even most - of the tourneys were 1700+, I could perhaps understand the complaint. But we have a very good mix here (1700+ tourneys are a *very* small minority), and everyone has *plenty* of opportunities to play in tournaments if they want to do so.

To the OP and anyone who might agree with him/her: Don't get pissed at the guys playing basketball down on the "A" court when you're a scrub and they would rather play against people of similar skill as them, especially when there are other courts where you can play with others of similar skill as you. Do *you* like playing against little kids playing Venom/Regenerate/Lure/Phage decks when you're trying to tweak a serious deck for a tournament?

Kytep
Craze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytep wrote:
To the OP and anyone who might agree with him/her: Don't get pissed at the guys playing basketball down on the "A" court when you're a scrub and they would rather play against people of similar skill as them, especially when there are other courts where you can play with others of similar skill as you.

Everything you just said lost all value and meaning because of the basketball reference. Congrats on that fail.

-TomW
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basketball is the second best sport ever after football, so he gains points in my book +1 trotsky1 point.
curly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and your wrogn again. Baskettball is the second best sport to HOCKEY. not teh faggot foot ball...psshhh
coolcreep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey is #1. #2 and #3 are both blank because if something was 2nd or 3rd that would imply that they are comparable to hockey. 4th is Football.

As to the OP, stop QQing. The judges are creating a mini, judges creating minis is NEVER something to complain about. If you don't get to plain in it, then that is just more motivation for you to grind up and get 1700+. 1700+ excludes people who just make accounts over and over, it excludes those who often go afk after joining a tournament, it keeps out random baddies. People want to have testing that actually gives them a little teeny tiny bit of honest feedback, and whats wrong with that? ML rating means nothing, true, but people who really genuinely suck can rarely get above 1700, which is the point of these tourneys.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only canadians love hockey, football is the biggest sport in the world by someway.
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:
Kytep wrote:
To the OP and anyone who might agree with him/her: Don't get pissed at the guys playing basketball down on the "A" court when you're a scrub and they would rather play against people of similar skill as them, especially when there are other courts where you can play with others of similar skill as you.

Everything you just said lost all value and meaning because of the basketball reference. Congrats on that fail.

-TomW

qft
Craze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your referring to football as soccer, then yes its a large sport in the world. And the idea was not to dismiss Basketball as a sport but to shudder on the sheer corniness of using a basketball metaphor.

And just to sum it all up:
#1 American football
#2 Soccer
#3 Basketball
#4 every other sport not individually listed
#5 hockey
#6 Baseball
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:
if your referring to football as soccer, then yes its a large sport in the world. And the idea was not to dismiss Basketball as a sport but to shudder on the sheer corniness of using a basketball metaphor.

#1 American football
#2 Soccer
#3 Basketball
#5 hockey
#6 Baseball

i'll give my numbers

#1 American Football
#2 Hockey
#3 Other Sports
#4 Soccer
#5 Basketball
#6 Baseball
sandoiche
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a judge, i rarely makes 1700+ minis....

but when you say that you forgot there are also 1700- minis, 1600- minis.....

i dont exactly see how the rating restrictions minis harm the website or the players.... they are just another different stuff for players
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:

#1 American football
#2 Soccer
#3 Basketball
#5 hockey
#6 Baseball

Yes I was sorry I dont cater for americans, whats so cornie about a basketball metaphore.

My list goes

1. Football
2. Basketball
3. Tennis
4. Womens Volleyball
5. hockey
6. eveything not called baseball or golf
7. golf
8. baseball (seriously I watched an entire game once and not one fucking guy ever hit the ball.)
PV
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judges are EMPLOYED to make minis for other people? what's wrong with you? they make whatever kind of minis they want, they are under no obligation towards you or anything else to make any specific kind of minis -_-

Besides, 1700 is pretty easy to get to.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2