Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Asylum Rant - Rant 4 - The 101 on things...


Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
Author Message
Craze



Joined: 30 Jan 2005
Posts: 5676
Location: Indiana, U

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: The Asylum Rant - Rant 4 - The 101 on things... Reply with quote

Rules of the Asylum
Rule 1. There are no real point to these
Before you yell troll, realize that I'm actually writing something that can be discussed, thus its not spam. BUT if you are to ask me why you should read this, I have no answer.

Rule 2. Nothing I say or do has any direct or indirect relation to this or any other magic league

Rule 3. These are my opinions, not yours.
Feel free to tell me yours.

now on to my rant...

I my first Asylum rant was written about the proper way to report on cheating. I did this because at the time it was very beginning of 05 and ML as most regulars will tell you had its corrupt elements. Judges would rule in favor of their friends and themselves and players were left out in the cold. But the worst offense of all at the time was some random claiming he was cheated when he wasn't. And that did happen alot. The forums were full of claims both false and true, and this caused several problems including bad publicity and bad judges going unchecked.
Obviously ML has gotten past this "dark age," and in truth this rant has nothing to do with ML. But my point in the entire thing is that from the beginning I have wrote these rants on what pisses ME off no matter if half the league disagrees or its controversial.
If you honestly don't want to hear my opinion theres an X button at the top of your tab/window. Use it.
If you do then brace yourselves cause I am really pissed and am about to unload.

The 101 on things you know shit about

Allow me to spell a few things out for you..
My name is Thomas Scott Werner. I live in West Lafayette, Indiana, USA. And I am a member of the Indiana National Guard. For those not American, the National Guard is a reserve branch of the US Army. We still go to Basic Training, we still go to AIT, we still get shipped over seas(sometimes even more so). The only real important difference is we have civilian jobs as well as our military ones.
Their are several dozen reasons to join the army. Personally I joined because I had no real plans of going to a College more advanced then a technical school, and the guard promised a boost in my resume and income.
Others might join for a year or two simply to go to college for free because they're lives haven't been to financially gifted to that point.
And then of course you got people who come from a military family or that are really motivated about defending their country.
The reasons really do not matter, because 9/10 of your typical enlistee does not really want to end up going over seas and killing someone.
Everyone I have met through the military and outside of the military would obviously prefer war to just get canceled out all together.
But of course once you enlist you become (as one of the ignorant people who I have argued with recently refer to as) a tool. And I say this with meaning to a certain degree. They're are laws and treaties and clauses that make sure a solider doesn't have to and won't commit acts of cruelty or terror. The world as gotten together and deemed these acts war crimes, and these are wrong.

But Craze, isn't murder an act of cruelty and terror

Yes of course, but heres the thing most people seem to misunderstand. We don't just go around shooting people for the kicks of it. Engaging in combat must be cleared before you can do it unless you are fired on. For the most part every encounter a soldier goes through is self defense.

And then of course you have the war itself. I called enlisted soldiers a tool before, so why not continue down this line. Do you blame the gun or the person who fires it for a shooting? And by this I mean do you blame the soldier whose following the orders or the general who gives the orders?
My point being stop fucking blaming the American military soldiers for the war. You know who's more to blame? Anybody who voted for Bush. Anybody who's going to vote for McCain.

But Craze, joining the military is a choice

To deny the need for the military is ignorant in every way possible.
Who helped in the Katrina floods? Yeah the guard in the 40+ states that went to the aid was a little late, but we still did the most and saved the most.
Who helped in my state's floods? Cause I didn't see any of the residents of the towns rushing in the 4 foot river I was carrying sandbags in.
Ya know the number of people bitching about the number of illegal immigrants? Everyone worrying about their jobs and the terrorists, yet its the guard you send to patrol the border. Its the guard who has decreased the amount of immigrants getting in by nearly 50%.
My point is the military does a hell of a lot more then fight in the war.

Now I'm a liberal who hates the war in Iraq. I really don't fucking see the point in it. 5 minutes after we finally withdraw that entire country is going down the drain again and theres really nothing we can fucking do about it.
The reasons for going in and the reasons for staying are bullshit. We didn't even get any fucking oil out of it(just for you idiots who call it an oil war).
I have different opinions about Afghanistan and Pakistan. And I could get into both, but I really don't see the point.
How much however I dislike the Iraqi war, I'm not blinded enough to not see the purpose of the military.

Last night somebody said the prospect of an invasion in the 21st century is laughable. Yet you hear about them all the time in 3rd world countries like Africa.
Somebody said there was no point in war, but again that doesn't stop the hate between the jews and Muslims.
People say we don't need to waste money on defending ourselves AS North Korea builds a very impressive nuclear weapons program.
The need for a standing military is obvious. Because the world is not advanced enough to cancel out war altogether.
You dislike what the military does? Fine, blame your elected leadership.
You dislike the need for the military? Fine, so do I.
But if you deny the need for it, your either in denial or just plain stupid.

One last note. There tends to be 2 types of people who have been hating on the military.
1. The person who has a brain and just doesn't use it.
2. The person who doesn't have a brain but likes to repeat things he hears off of Fahrenheit 911 and other extreme anti bush/war websites.

For the second type of person, just shut the hell up. Thank you.

Until next time I'm Craze and I hate Saturdays.
-TomW
Back to top
shadow483



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 62

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally someone who dislikes the war for the right reasons. I can agree with what you say. I personally don't like the war and never agreed with it. That being said, it doesn't stop me from sending care packages to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. It doesn't stop me from sending letters to friends serving there.
Back to top
coolcreep



Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 588

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thankyou for your service to the great country that is the United States of America. I also hate when people throw their political anger at non-political people (soldiers).
Back to top
Orlandu



Joined: 25 Sep 2004
Posts: 196

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Hm Reply with quote

Well, until nations like north korea and iran cease to exist, I'll take my army as big and as reaganesque as I can get it, thank you very much.
Back to top
coolcreep



Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 588

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
The whole necessity of an army thing is hilarious. The military complex in the US is heading in the same direction as the one in Russia did about two to three decades ago.

You also forgot a #3 on the people list and that is people with a whole lot more education than others, that happen to study history as a major.

I don't necessarily "hate" on the armies, but their importance is not nearly as big Reagan era freaks make it out to be. A good metaphor for the whole army thing is: You carry a gun because you know that some psycho out there has one too.

Read up on the frontier thesis. Very interesting piece of literature.


This steaming pile is a classic of the intelligentsia. Look at me, I have a piece of paper on a wall that says I'm smarter than you, so I get to dismiss your opinion. Do you know why the militaristic Soviet Union collapsed? It wass because Reagan was even more militaristic, and made them use all their resources in the arms race. When Neville Chamberlain tried dealing with a ruthless Dictator without the threat of force to back him up, he ended up with an immensely powerful Nazi Germany that was able to take over almost all of Europe. Most people are vastly opposed to the Iraq war, but if Bush Sr. had deposed him way back 17 years ago, there wouldn't have even been an Iraq war. Allowing tyrants to rule is something that we should have learned not to do by now, but obviously we have not. In the words of Thomas Jefferson, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed, from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural maneur."
Back to top
Craze



Joined: 30 Jan 2005
Posts: 5676
Location: Indiana, U

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
The whole necessity of an army thing is hilarious. The military complex in the US is heading in the same direction as the one in Russia did about two to three decades ago.

You also forgot a #3 on the people list and that is people with a whole lot more education than others, that happen to study history as a major.

I don't necessarily "hate" on the armies, but their importance is not nearly as big Reagan era freaks make it out to be. A good metaphor for the whole army thing is: You carry a gun because you know that some psycho out there has one too.

Read up on the frontier thesis. Very interesting piece of literature.


I noticed you never actually said that you didn't see a need for a military. You just said that the need for a military is not as impotent as I think it is (your opinion).
The whole point is that people who hate on soldiers because they don't believe in war are idiots.

It's the saying "I carry a gun so I will never have to fire it."
Back to top
center
Level 1 Judge


Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 440

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed, Craze have you ever seen Taxi to the Dark Side? Kinda shows how shitty our leaders were to our military.
Back to top
OldBear



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 1840

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe when the american military takes responsiblity for all the friendly fire incidents instead of covering them up people can have some actual respect for it.
Back to top
Delicious



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 883

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craze, i have to say, everything you said was like it came out of my own mouth

i have lots of friends over in Iraq and i know how they feel. they don't want to ever fire their gun

but i am glad you are defending our country for this pointless war

don't worry, 16 months from january and everyone can come home.
Back to top
coolcreep



Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 588

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
When the whole education in history thing really comes in is for stuff like explanations of the collapse of the Soviet military complex.

When you actually take a look at it from a University-educated standpoint you realize that "Reagan had a bigger military complex, so the Soviet one collapsed" lacks any logic really and is pretty much the standpoint of an under-informed dunce.

Here, have some free education: during the cold war, military industrial complex were being built up and built up continuously without actually being used, these military complexes take obscene amounts of money to actually keep running. That is to say that soldiers need to be payed, toys need to be manufactured, facilities need to be maintained and so do the toys that have already been made. This is when the US comes into play: to say that Reagan is responsible for the American economy climbing to its modern heights is like saying that Moses was responsible for the flood because he was building a ship, he wasn't. Any other president in this time would have seen a similar rise in the economy. The crux of the matter is that the US had the economy to continue building upon its military complex, while still furnishing it all the while and the USSR could not.

This resulted in the USSR having to fire a great deal of its standing forces because they could no longer afford to pay them. This is especially funny because they were in essence paying them to do nothing.

Middle East was a godsend in a sense because it actually put over forty years of expanding military industrial complex to use. The funniest thing is that with or without the war American debt would have continued to rise with the size and power of its military, the only thing that the war really did was spend a bit more. There are numerous charts available on the internet that illustrate the exponential cost/growth of the United States armed forces, though I am not sure if they will be as good as the ones that I have access to on private scholarly research-type websites through my university. Either way they will illustrate the issue quite well.

All great empires in time have fallen, whether it was in a big dramatic way or a sort of economic deterioration ( a la UK), but it does happen. The curse/benefit o having an education is some areas is being able to state some facts and know you are right because you have spent an amazing amount of time learning and studying the topic with the guidance of someone who has a doctorate, when the person you have just told it to has wikipedia, high school and learning channels. They might think they have a point or that you are wrong, but they don't have shit because they
(like Coolcreep, maybe) have not bothered to think that the person that has the little piece of paper doesn't give a damn about the piece of paper, they are content with the years of study and learning that led up to getting that piece of paper.

Profs tell their students that it gets easier to let people have stupid, uninformed and unfounded opinions. I think it is going to be a long, long wait for me.

Edit: Troops should be on peace keeping missions and trying to fix the hell whole that was created when released slaves were given their own country. That is just an opinion that is tied in with my sense of what the world's greatest nation should be doing. As David Cross says: "Fighting a war against terror is like fighting a war against jealousy...".



Again, I do not care if you went to university. It is possible to read about things and learn about things without having information handed to you selectively by a leftist professor. Stop talking down to me as though I just crawled out from under a rock, it is very unbecoming. Saying things like "When you look at it from a university-educated standpoint" or "You forgot about people who know a lot more than you do because they went to university", you are not making an actual argument. You are attacking the person rather than the position, which, if you took logic 101 in your university, you would know is a logical fallacy. Profs tell their students that to reinforce the elitist mindset that has been hammered into your head for years. If someone needs to have gone to university to have a discussion with you in which they don't get talked down to, then I really do pity anyone you come into contact with. Educated and intelligent are not synonymous, nor are uneducated and uninformed. You spent $20,000 a year learning things that will not lead to any real job prospects, while I have studied many things on my spare time for the cost of a few books, and I didn't have a left-wing professor poisoning everything with his personal ideology. It is unfortunate that the job I am persuing requires 8 years of university, I would really rather skip that whole expensive procedure. I just hope that I don't exit the other end of that tunnel even half as pretentious as you.
Back to top
YTheAlien



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hm Reply with quote

Orlandu wrote:
Well, until nations like north korea and iran cease to exist, I'll take my army as big and as reaganesque as I can get it, thank you very much.


look at how fucking stupid you are
Back to top
coolcreep



Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 588

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nico wrote:
coolcreep: pot, kettle?????


Sorry, I don't like being talked down to.
Back to top
Bejeezus



Joined: 12 Dec 2004
Posts: 1796
Location: Right Here

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're still doing these? Haha.
Good post, but I must say, I don't agree with some of the things that you've said. As someone else pointed out, a bit of it seems illogical.
Back to top
Craze



Joined: 30 Jan 2005
Posts: 5676
Location: Indiana, U

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it illogical? War is a fact of existence. Every single day battles happen in other parts of the globe, its not even a leap to say that without our Military they'd be here as well. You can argue the current use of the military, but not the necessity of it as a whole.

Thats the point.

Also good to see you again Bejeezus.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All content on this page may not be reproduced without consent of Magic-League Directors.
Magic the Gathering is TM and copyright Wizards of the Coast, Inc, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved.


About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy