Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UWB Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
standarizeMA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: UWB Control Reply with quote

So people at my store have mixed emotions about the cards revealed from shards so far..there's at least a handful of cards I'd like to play in a control deck. Now, let's face it, pure control hasn't been played since Teachings and seems like it's back. Here's some of the cards.

Esper Charm (this card is great.)
Battlegrace Angel (almost exalted?)
Infest (sideboard)
Agony Warp (maybe? .. last gasp was played)
Hindering Light (dont really like it..)
Punish Ignorance (i think it's good.)
Sharuum the Hegemon (with some artifacts ofc)
Sphinx Soverign (cost too much?)
Tower Gargoyle (solid beater for me)
Obelisk of Esper (too slow?)

Critique these cards please. I think Battlegrace along with like, Oona Archon of Justice etc are good finishers. Esper charm is really good. Punish ignorance i'd like to hear critique on along with the others. Thanks
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esper Charm is awesome, although the 3 color cost may be a bit much.

Agony Warp seems good. It can potentially kill an attacker and neutralize another.

Punish Ignorance I don't like. I realize its an Undermine AND Absorb in one card, but as I recall they had alot of hype about them and really didn't see much play. Cryptic Command will always be my 4cc counter.

Battlegrace Angel is still within Flame Javelin range, or Incinerate + Mogg Fanatic. Decent, but far from almost an Exalted.

Hindering Light is a little narrow, but has its good uses.

Sharuum may be good as a finisher depending on what artifacts come out of this set.

Sphinx I don't like.

Tower Gargoyle is a Moroi with the drawback being the extra W in the casting instead of losing a life.

Obelist of Esper will be needed if your going to be playing all 3 colors.

I personally don't really care for this set. Seems like they have been pushing everybody into building multi colored decks and spend horrendous amounts of money on the mana base alone. Not good for a sluggish economy.
standarizeMA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: ty Reply with quote

Thanks for that critique. I think the charm is great and I think the angel can still be really good. The counterspell you may be right about, because it is 4 mana, but i didn't know if playing this and cryptic would be good.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the complication of needing the UUU with Command, but the other you need WB as well as UU. With the Vivid, tri-color, and filter lands with Reflecting Pool, I would rather just use the Command. You can't beat the versatility of it. I would probrably go heavy on the Blue with White and Black as very light support colors. But that may change with the rest of the spoiler.

Edit- I didn't see you said run both. I would run just the Cryptic. You don't need more than four 4cc counters, and Cryptic has the all around better versatility.
stone_d
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esper charms seems to be an instant consult the necrosages. 3 colors make it hard to be played. But I think it's worth a try.

Exalte angel could beat T4 this angel beat T6. And doesn't have lifelink when blocking.
May be played in block.

Infest... nah

Agony warp Prevent 3 damage + nameless invesion. think thats good enough Wink

Hindering light, rebuff the wicked was played in SB in TSB so this will probly to.

Punish ignorace, 4 mana symbols make it a to high and to hard to cast counterspell.

Sharuum: depends if there are any other viable artifact for UBW control. (He's legendary so can't get back a copy of him)

Sphinx sovereig: to slow

Tower gargyole: lightning angel isn't seing much play these days. And angel is clearly better so i doubt gargyole would be played.

Obelsik of esper. I kinda compare this to coalition relic. It's worse but still good.
standarizeMA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

with the shard land + a few vivids + reflecting pool base along with some filters / pain lands the mana base isn't too much of a problem with casting the counterspell. Um, the "exalted" angel I will test because I need another finisher but i love the charm as it's an instant.
TwoTrees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning a deck kind of like this, but adding green also.
With green you get
Potential mana fixing/accelerants
Resounding Silence
Bant Charm
Stoic Angel

Although I will probably just go 5 colours since its possible
standarizeMA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

now im waiting for a post saying u should just update quick n toast and make it better with the new cards..zz
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what it is going to end up being.
TwoTrees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, standardize I realize you are trying to build a true control deck, that is a different Idea than quickntoast. I'm building in the same direction, but there is just so much upside for adding 2 more colours.
standarizeMA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

I can play Quick n toast..allows more win cons and such and firespout but..idk..traditional control deck has most answers as well..
TwoTrees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is how do you beat faeries.
standarizeMA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

I plan on playing premission as well, and with the loss of vision that helps however, I think with a mannequin package and soul snuffers I have a shot?..I'm probably going to end up playing my own 5c quick n toast build but im just trying to avoid it if possible
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1