Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tournament Times

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
algorythym

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Tournament Times Reply with quote

Take a look here:
http://www.magic-league.com/info/calendar.php

Depending on what you see this either makes you very happy, or very sad. I see this:

6AM Master
1PM
1PM
11AM
11AM
1PM
7AM

See the problem here? Okay, guess where I live. I don't live in some uninhabitable wasteland devoid of magic players, I live in Seattle Washington. I'm not the only magic player that lives in Seattle Washington. I even remember, about a year ago, when I played trials and masters here regularly. But now Magic League is East Coast and Europe only, which does not seem optimal. When you have seven tournaments a week, why would you have them all cater to the same part of your audience. People on the West Coast cannot play Magic League tournaments anymore, except for minis. Why did no one notice this? Why does no one care? Why was my post on this issue a week ago in Magic-League Tournaments utterly ignored? The mods, judges, and leaders of this site have always done a great job in serving their user base. This makes no sense and I would love it if someone would explain, or better yet, we can just have three American trials, three European trials, and the master each week. That would be awesome.
mufl0n

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you friggin serious?
the calender is adjusted to meet the requirements to let you americans play

11am and 1 pm,wheres the problem?
the trials start for me usually around 12 am or 3 am
you have one of the best schedules i have to admit.
you complaining about the time is simply preposterous.

me living in europe btw and i for my part cant play magic until 3 am.
Craze

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its mostly 4pm for me and I'm American, of course I'm EST
Verystrait42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love it if the trials on thursdays started at 4 p.m. CDT. some poepl have schools, and i also know a lot of people who would be able to play then, because chicago is in this timezone
algorythym

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mufl0n wrote:
are you friggin serious?
the calender is adjusted to meet the requirements to let you americans play

11am and 1 pm,wheres the problem?
the trials start for me usually around 12 am or 3 am
you have one of the best schedules i have to admit.
you complaining about the time is simply preposterous.

me living in europe btw and i for my part cant play magic until 3 am.

How many people do you know that are open from 11AM to 3PM on a weekday, or 1PM to 5PM on a weekday. In most countries, I don't know where you live, the vast majority of the population has a job, or is a student. But hey, if you can sleep into 10:30, then play a magic tournament, then do whatever for the rest of the day, you need to write a book on how you do it. I wonder what would be the best way to round up other Magic players west of EST would be.

Anyway, here's a little exercise with an 11AM PST Trial. The vast majority of people on the West Coast, at 11AM, are working, at school, or too poor to be playing Magic-League because they are not working or getting an education. This trial takes place at 2PM EST. All those people on the East Coast aren't going to play either. Now lets cross the pond. In London, this Trial takes place at 7PM, that's pretty good. Most people will be home from work or school. Moving east: 8PM in Paris and 9PM in Eastern Europe. Note that what I consider the optimum start time, 6PM, falls to Western Africa with an 11AM PST Trial. South America, being home to so many great Magic League players, also needs mention. Our 11AM PST trial takes place at 1PM in Peru and 3PM in Brazil, not going to work down there either. So, assuming most Magic-League players function with normal daily schedules, working or going to school, the 11AM PST trial, seen next week on Wednesday and Thursday, is effectively Europe only.

Lets try the 1PM PST trial:

Seattle (1PM): Excludes most possible participants
New York (4PM): Excludes some possible participants
Rio de Janeiro (6PM): Optimum time slot found here
London (10PM): Too late for a normal person's weeknight
Paris (11PM): Too late
Germany (12AM): Too late

In your post, mufl0n, you claim that trials exist for you at 12AM and 3AM. I point this out because this is not possible. Trials are clearly either at time X, or time Y. Time Y is 2 hours later than X. If the earlier trial type begins for you at 12AM, that means you are in Central Russia or in the Middle East.

Here something to try on for size:

4PM PST Trial:
Seattle (4PM)
New York (7PM)
Rio de Janeiro (9PM)

Note that trials like that used to exist, this would not be new.

Finally, on the subject of the optimum schedule, mufl0n, there really isn't one. Neither of us has a great Magic-League schedule. For you Magic-League Trials are in the middle of the night, and for me they're in the middle of the work day. The goal of the Magic-League schedule should not be to create a optimum schedule for one region. The problem with the current Magic-League schedule is that it does do this. People in Eastern South America, or Western Africa, can come home to a 6PM Trial three days a week. The rest of us NEVER get that.
Craze

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the majority of players here are from Europe, the majority of Americans here are EST. So you can see why they aim for the demographic.
algorythym

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:
the majority of players here are from Europe, the majority of Americans here are EST. So you can see why they aim for the demographic.

True, true, but there has to be some West Coast presence. I mean there used to be trials I could participate in, but that was about a year ago, before I quit for half a year. I still don't see them aiming for any demographic though. The perfect week day time slot goes to South America/the middle of the Atlantic Ocean the way it is now. I guess I was hoping to drum up some support for splitting the two trial times by more than 2 hours.

They could at least try just calling 7PM optimal. Have trials that start at 7PM Eastern America (4PM West), and trials that start at 7PM East Europe (4PM West.)

Or you could do three trial times, two days at each time:

#1 (America)
4/5PM on West Coast
7/8PM on East Coast
9/10PM in South America

#2 (The Middle)
3/4PM on East Coast
5/6PM in South America
9/10PM in Western Europe

#3 (Europe)
4/5PM in Western Europe
6/7PM in Eastern Europe

This topic definitely deserves (more) thought.
metzel_usa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should i write a book because i dont have to do shit...kinda feels good inherting millions+ in land that is getting passed down thru bloodlines.....its gonna be nice being a dickhead my whole entire life with lots of money....maybe ill write a book....The Key to Money: DICKHEAD
Craze

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many people have applied for different trials times over the years, I believe its like this cause this one gets the lesser complaints.
algorythym

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that. I'm not trying to act like I'm more important than anyone else, I'm just not convinced that the way it is is the best it could be. Another solution would be to have some minis have some sort of consistency. Not getting trials would be much less of a big deal if trying to play in a mini of a certain format didn't involve watching the IRC channel for 2-3 hours, and then possibly not getting into the 8/16max quick enough. We've all been there.

EDIT:

Look here though Craze. One current trial time (2PM EST) is in third place, the other current trial time is not an option (4PM EST). Wouldn't logic dictate, based on this pole anyway, that trials should be 2PM and 6PM EST?

Last edited by algorythym on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaksymGryn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit'd
gypsy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theyre going to make people mad with trial times no matter what so theres no point in making a lot of people in the league mad over a few people. playing trials isnt such a big deal dont know why people complain the skill level of most people in trials is extremely low, playing against them isnt going to make you better
Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's hard to please everyone indeed. And think about how many judges there would be around that time to lauch the trial?
FilomathBret

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would definitely be nice if the trial times could vary a bit so that people all over the world could play in trials; not just the same people over and over. I believe I've heard that the issue is when the judges can run them. So let's get more judges from the west coast! Everybody take practice tests on wizards.com-dci-judge center and study the rules!!
trueeevil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know 2 judges who are PST. THere should be 1 PST friendly trial a week. Is 1 too many?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2