Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a league for magic-league?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
KeySam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: a league for magic-league? Reply with quote

Currently magic-league has no league. Theres ladder play going on, the problem with ladder games is that players that play more get more points, then players that play less with the same skill(of course only if he would actually get points by playing). So i wanted to ask if people are interrested in a league, here on magic-league. In a league you only have to play 1 match in a week, of course a league is a bit more luck based because you play less games, but i still think it would be a great way for players with less time to play magic. I would write an script for irc, if there would be enough players interrested and it is okay with the people running the site. If you have no idea what i mean with league here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_league

I would suggest a system where each player plays each other player in his league once. A 2-0 gives 5 points a 2-1 gives 4 points.
At the end of each season the best two players get one league higher(if their in league 3 they will go to league 2), and worst 2 would go down a league. Depending on how many players participate we need to look how we start the league of. Of course i am open for suggestions concerning those things.

I wanted to know if your interrested and if its okay i do that with the people running the site, before i start working on a script.

KeySam
Circa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this. It seems like a really good, fun idea.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be as well
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't it be best out off 5 games? Magic-league never had tournaments with that kind of matches, and since we will only be allowed to play once per week or so, I think it could be a good idea. Mr. Green
[R]Nchamay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be cool to be able to like, make your own league with friends and stuff. idk, just throwin out ideas Smile
Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in this idea.
Craze

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who'd decide the pairings for each week? and how?
[R]Nchamay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would everyone be put into the same league at first, or would it start with the current rankings or something?
beule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your biggest problem with this kind of system is, that with no payments or anything whatsoever at the beginning and in the lower leagues there will be a very high rate of no shows which makes results nearly the same as ladder play but much more random?!!
Circa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do pairings using DCIr
gdhack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey this sounds like an amazing sweet idea im in
SOAD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PERFECT.

It fits me very well Cool
Lenin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly support this. As long as there are Leagues for every format, not only T2.
f3bras

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not something like -

There are 4/5 estipulated games per week, and the players would themselves fix the day/hours they want to play.

Example: It's Sunday, 9PM, and the pairings just came out, the players would schedule games for the remainder off the week or play them all straight. That would be flexible and no on-the-moment drops..

The only requirement would be to have the games finished by sunday at 8PM..
Carnubak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the sub-leagues according to timezone. Since the times I have available tend to be late at night, because of work and social life, keeping my matches in synch with that schedule would be great for me.
Also, I'd suggest that players need to play everyone else in their leagues at least once during the season. I'm assuming a one-year season (time between block rotations), and with the current 1400-something players registered here on Magic-League distributed in three league levels, with sub-leagues by timezone, that could roughly lead to 100 matches a year. Let's say a league has 128 members to make a nice number. That would yield 2-3 matches a week, which I think is a pretty reasonable number.
Since probably many players won't join the leagues, we can expect to have to play 2 matches a week to keep in line with the league development. That should be easily made to fit a tight schedule. At the end of the season, unplayed matches would not be counted towards the league total, which will naturally make the least active players to fall off their leagues, in favor of those that kept playing during the season.
These are my ideas. Comments and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2