Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blood Moon, Urborg and Windborn Muse

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Blood Moon, Urborg and Windborn Muse Reply with quote

So this happened to me on a game yesterday and I didn't know what was the rulling for this:

My opponent had a Blood Moon in play and I played Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. My other lands were a Plains, a Temple Garden and an Overgrown Tomb. What happens to my lands? Are they all swamps? Are they swamp mountains? Are they basic lands? What colors of mana can they produce?

And if the order was reversed, that is, I control an Urborg and my opponent plays Blood Moon after?

Another question - Cards with effects like Windborn Muse and Cowed by Wisdom: Do we pay the costs after attackers/blockers have been declared, when they are being declared or before they are declared?

I hope you can help me with this. Thanks in advance. Mr. Green
gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blood moon with urborg your non basics are all mountains.
Laonis_Taere

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With both Blood Moon and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in play, all non-basic lands including the Urborg will be mountains and basic lands will be unaffected. So you would have 3 mountains and 1 plains.

This happens regardless of timestamp (the order they came into play) because the ability of Urborg is dependent on the Blood Moon ability, namely, it is erased by the red card's ability.

Payments for Windborn Muse and the like are paid during the declare attackers step when you declare each attacker.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the first question. I found the answer for it:

01/04/2008 If Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and either Blood Moon or Magus of the Moon are in play, all nonbasic lands will be Mountains, not Swamps. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth will be a Mountain as well. It will have "{T}: Add R to your mana pool" and no other abilities.

So, about the second question, we pay the costs when we announce the attackers, right?
Laonis_Taere

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're looking at Gatherer, it also has rulings for your other question. Though I guess they're fairly old since they're only on the card Propaganda.

http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=4718

Relevant info:
10/4/2004 The payment is made during the declare attackers step at the same time you are declaring the attacker.
10/4/2004 Paying this cost is not an Instant or any other kind of ability, it is an additional cost on the declaration of the attacker.
Laonis_Taere

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the ruling cited by Lord Foley refers to a slightly different situation. Since Lynolf put up the ruling pertaining to his own question, I didn't think to mention it any more. But in case there's still confusion by other people perusing this thread, look at Ron's post and the 01/04/2008 ruling posted by Lynolf.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you pay the costs for the attackers as you declare them (and yes, you get extra special opportunity to play mana abilities to get the mana).
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1