Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mono-U Mill /Need SB/

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Pokemaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: mono-U Mill /Need SB/ Reply with quote

// Lands
20 [SHM] Island (1)
3 [LRW] Shelldock Isle

// Creatures
2 [EVE] Overbeing of Myth
4 [SHM] Plumeveil
2 [EVE] Dominus of Fealty
3 [SHM] Drowner Initiate

// Spells
4 [10E] Boomerang
3 [LRW] Cryptic Command
4 [CS] Rune Snag
3 [LRW] Ponder
4 [EVE] Sanity Grinding
4 [10E] Howling Mine
4 [10E] Twincast

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 4 [TSB] Serrated Arrows
SB: 4 [MOR] Grimoire Thief
SB: 4 [CS] Jester's Scepter

Main target is mill opponent to death, if this fails, it still can kill him/her with spirit avatars.

Comment pls

Last edited by Pokemaster on Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:50 am; edited 3 times in total
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Pithing Needle is really good. You are also going to need some removal for small beaters that will get though your counterspells. Serrated Arrows, Moonglove Extract, and Snakeform, come to mind.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to defer kaboo. A couple people ran it here at FNM last week and did decent for first time builds. Sanity Grinding usually hits for an insane amount.

You may want to consider Shelldock Isle. Ive seen a couple people get an extra Grinding on it, or even a Traumatize (although Traumatize isn't as good).
Omnomcake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear twincast + sanity grinding is tech
tinman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: replys Reply with quote

ya kaboo your right, but you have to remember one thing never tap out vs this player as twin cast+ sanity grinding is game over about 90% of the time vs anybody.
ChiDoRiE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some calculator work with notepad shows that on average, you will sanity grinding them for 14. Nice?
ajvanadri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: replys Reply with quote

tinman wrote:
ya kaboo your right, but you have to remember one thing never tap out vs this player as twin cast+ sanity grinding is game over about 90% of the time vs anybody.

I dont know about that, as I have played vs decks taht were better designed to get the combo off (more U in the mana costs) and have been hit by it twice. In my experiance, if you dont end the game with the combo (the 2 times it hit me it didnt) then your going to lose in the next one or two turns.
Omnomcake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this seems to me like the kind of deck that may see some play in post rotation extended. MUC has the potential to be super powerful, especially with this kind of win condition. Also, have you considered scalpelexis as a creature?
ChiDoRiE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more calculator work:

Assuming your opp plays 60 card deck, didn't mulligan, you were on the play, played howling mine on turn 2 and got jace active turn 3:

Turn 1: 60-7 = 53
Turn 2: 53-2=51
Turn 3: 51-3=48
Turn 4: 48-3 = 45
Turn 5: 45-3 = 42

So, with our handydandy average sanity grinding number of 14, you have to cast sanity grinding 3 times before it isn't just UUU: Do Nothing except fill my opp graveyard for mannequin/retrace. This number gets higher if you want to win before turn 5, and lower if you want to win after turn 10.

Basically..that card sucks =\
Carnubak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, the deck lacks focus and consistency. If it intends to win by milling, it needs to have the means to accomplish it.
Myself, I don't like the idea of Jace Beleren or Howling Mine in the deck. If you can mill your opponent quick enough, they'll draw themselves into oblivion without you having to help them get card advantage. Plus, you're never going to get Jace to 10 counters.
Since you're going for the combo work, I would definitely include Twincast, and you need more ways to get to the key cards (which means, 2 extra Ponders).
Plumeveil looks like a good surprise blocker for those Demigods of Revenge (You're going to get them, especially if you fill their graveyard).
Overbeing of Myth could be replaced by Godhead of Awe, in my opinion, since it will shrink your opponent's creatures while adding some ooph to your deck.
You could also consider Swans of Bryn Argoll, as they are decent-sized fliers at four mana, with the plus of being impervious to damage, and having a disadvantage that can actually help you win.
As was mentioned before, Shelldock Isle could be crucial to give the final kick to an opponent, although I would probably not run more that two of them, maybe three.
Other suggestions include, in no particular order:
Grimoire Thief: This guy can be pretty annoying on its own, but it also helps diminish your opponent's library by three a turn, while also working double-duty as a counterspell.
While Oona, Queen of the Fae is an astonishing card on its own, you need to keep yourself alive long enough to abuse it, which means that you nead some more board control. I'm not entirely sure how to acomplish that while keeping the Blue Mana symbols high.
Augury Adept sounds interesting, but I don't see him coming into place with the rest of the cards, but have you considered Memory Sluice and Drowner Initiate?
I can also see a place for a couple of Memory Plunders, if anything else, just to try how they work.

All in all, my build would look something like:

//Lands
20 [SHM] Island
3 [LRW] Shelldock Isle

//Creatures
2 [SHM] Godhead of Awe
3 [SHM] Plumeveil
4 [MOR] Grimoire Thief
4 [SHM] Drowner Initiate

//Spells
4 [10E] Boomerang
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
2 [SHM] Memory Sluice
2 [SHM] Memory Plunder
4 [LRW] Ponder
4 [EVE] Sanity Grinding
4 [10E] Twincast

I think you'd need to goldfish it for a couple of games to see how it feels.
Please, let me know your findings.
Pokemaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i upadated my deck, and i try yours
beanbungo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vendilion Clique = UU + Evasion (should work nicely)
4x Cryptic Commands is a must, 3 is just wrong...
LordLink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are looking at this deck wrong, I managed to lose to it in a mini and it played as a fairly strong MUC deck, not a dedicated mill deck. Howling Mine, Overbeing of Myth and Jace keep your hand full to counter absolutely everything. Sanity Grinding is just the eventual win condition, not a turn 5 combo or anything. Boomerang and Plumeveil played hell with my offence.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they play burn at eot, you can't counter everything.
Tirentu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:
If they play burn at eot, you can't counter everything.

The only deck that runs that kind of burn only plays at most 8 cards that can burn to the head. And that's RDW with Flame Javelins and Incinerates. Plus, don't they usually run Lash Out over Incinerate anyways?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2