Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Workstation for Linux Guide *updated 09/26/08*

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS)
MattCatt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youarenotpro wrote:
If you are not running, Suse or Ubuntu you don't deserve to use Linux. lulz! lulz! lulz! lulz!

If you truly believe that those are the only two worthwhile distros, then you are the one who does not deserve to use Linux.

Last edited by MattCatt on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
cm_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youarenotpro wrote:
If you are not running, Suse or Ubuntu you don't deserve to use Linux.

Lulz! Lulz! Lulz!

nub
Araeliz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm

Last edited by Araeliz on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
goat314

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSD ftwz! ftwz! ftwz! ftwz! ftwz!

Seriously, though, thanks for the help Azania. I may attempt the install on OS X here at some point. If I have anything worthwhile to add from the experience, I will try to do so...

Open Source, Communist, Evolutionist, Devil-worshippers! (Sadly, the original article is gone, that was a great read).
goat314

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after just trying this on my fiance's mac. i can tell you that DarWine 1.12 still has the above listed flaws. I can't seem to get the 1.13 version installed right, don't know if anyone else has.
carnuZ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azania wrote:
After a more thorough research wine version 1.1.2 was found that would eliminate all of the flaws that were mentioned earlier. We recommend everyone who uses Linux to upgrade Wine to 1.1.2 or later.

Enjoy

I am using ubuntu 8.04, I've wine 1.1.3 installed and i have tested MWS with gnome and kde4.
I still have ALL these flaws:
- Cards on the board and hand are viewed flipped
- We can't see the name of the cards, the p/t on creatures and any note or counter on a card.
- the name of the cards when you show grave, hand, library, ... are upside down

Really do you have MWS fully working without any flaw on your linux system? I am very interested to make it works too.

thx
NecroMage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Hm. Reply with quote

I'm running Ubuntu and after updating to the latest Wine, 1.1.5, my MWS is working perfectly with only one noticeable flaw: I can't see any text in MWS Play. I don't mean the card text, I'm talking about the text in MWS play itself, creature names, P/T numbers, counters, notes, mana pool/deck/graveyard/hand/RFG/life total numbers. I can, strictly speaking, play with it like this but it takes a lot of mental calculation to remember what everyone's life totals are at as well as every creature's Power and Toughness are. If I were to play a milling deck I'd have no sweet clue as to the gamestate without counting the cards in my graveyard window manually. All the other issues such as upside down cards, etc were fixed when I upgraded wine except this. Does anyone know how to fix it?
carnuZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree NecroMage. After updating wine 1.1.5 upside down cards and text are now fixed, you can read them at all the lists (gy, rfg, view hand ,...).
Now the problem is exactly the one that NecroMage said.

Is the solution near? Perhaps wine 1.1.6? :S
If u find the "secret" package needed to be installed, please tell us.
Or if u have some ideas, tell us to test them in our ubuntus.
carnuZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azania wrote:
install ubuntu-restricted-extras

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

After installing ubuntu-restricted-extras i can read the names of the cards in play, i can see the p/t, the counters ,... (i suppose that installing this package some windows fonts that are needed for MWS are installed)
I have installed wine 1.1.6. too and ALL works perfectly now.
Thanks again.
Aion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this forum I have to thank Azania very much for all the hard work he's put in helping Magic-league support mws and Linux users. So Thank You Azania I appreciated everything you've done.
str8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i intalled wine 1.0.1 on my mac using macports.
and i managed to get everything to run, with a few minor glitches. For example windows tend to move downwards every time something is clicked.
After reading all this I wanted to remove 1.0.1 and put the 1.1.16 that seems to be better with some of the bug fixes.
I am miserably failing Sad
can anyone help?

EDIT: I just reformated since i didnt have much information.
It is still having the same issue though.

The problem is both mirc and mws start moving downwards as button in the program are clicked, such as changing what channel i am in on mirc.
I don't know if there is a way to fix this.
I would also love to know how to uninstall wine for futur reference.
Floi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know, that it works mostly fine. I'm getting occasional bugs / crashes, but you never know whether that's not just MWS...

wine-1.1.42

I think I installed the mscorefonts via winetricks (can't exactly remember though)

card images and text are all fine.

Floi
Laonis_Taere

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to put up my recent experience with Linux/MWS. I had some issues running mws in Fedora 17, wine version 1.5.13. Main issue was that most of the graphical display didn't update except after moving to a different phase, or min/maxing the screen size. Also, the scroll bar on the event log didn't stay at the bottom, so I didn't always see the most recent events. I got a tip from winehq about downloading winetricks and using the command

winetricks gdiplus

And that seems to have solved all my problems. Runs smoothly and actually I think it crashes less than when I boot up in Windows. The only outstanding issue (after installing fonts) is the dice roll, which I haven't found a clean solution yet. In my search, though, I came across a workaround. If you change the number of sides on the dice, say to 19 and then back up to 20, it rolls correctly.
Darkjuggalo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sh winetricks corefonts
sh winetricks gdiplus
sh winetricks allfonts

to fix dice roll issue : adjust dice side down or up and then back to 20

slight amount of lag but other then that all good
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS) All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3