Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eventide White Weenie (Wr)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Eventide White Weenie (Wr) Reply with quote

Going entirely away from the Kithkin theme, a few half-casual games on mws reveals some potential:

4 Figure of Destiny
3 Icatian Javelineers
4 Knight of Meadowgrain
4 Soltari Priest
4 Paladin en-Vec
2 Oversoul of Dusk
1 Divinity of Pride
1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero

3 Ajani goldmane

2 Oblivion Ring

4 Incinerate
3 Shard Volley

4 Flagstones of Trokair
3 Horizon Canopy
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Rugged Prairie
10 Plains

I have found that even in a white weenie deck with 25 lands, 4 of which are Flagstones, Shard Volley is unimpressive. I think I may swap Unmake in for them. Figure of Destiny has been very good. Divinity of Pride is formidable.

I wish there were more single-R burn spells viable in constructed. I may try that wither spell from Eventide. An opponent used it on one of my creatures once, and even though it survived, the reduced size was game-changing. I won anyway but that was because it was a Demigod which died and popped up at a later topdeck.
jazzbat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want removal (which is what you're implying by considering switching in Unmake for Shard Volley), Lash Out is a decent option.
Deuce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Light from Within :O
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILikeBananas wrote:
I recommend kithkin tribal over this. Eventide made kithkins W/R and figure of destiny is a good addition. Splashing red gives you tuttermage maniac and good burn spells.

Cards like Icatian Javelineers, soltari priest and paladin en-vec haven't seen play for a long time and Eventide doesn't give you much reason to start playing them again. I'd consider stillmoon cavalier over paladin en vec because it can be pumped. Even then, I don't think you should run stillmoon or paladin in a white weenie. There's no jitte to equip on the knights lol.

Consider dead/gone. It's a 1 mana removal or a bounce spell. Not too bad.

Divinity of pride is good but I think it's not optimal in an aggro deck. Oversoul I'd consider since it's pretty hard to kill and it's GG for many decks if it resolves.

I recommend replacing the flagstones with mutavaults or just plains, especially if you decide to go kithkin. The benefit of deck thinning is much less than the risk of sometimes land come into play tapped and you missing a 2 or 3 drop.

Actually, Soltari Priest and Paladin en-Vec are the reasons to play white weenie in the first place. If you look at the white weenie decks that have done well the last few months, they are all running both of them plus some of the strongest creatures white has to offer. That is because there is so much creature kill around that the early drops isn't enough to go all the way, and because card power is more important than synergy in this diverse meta. Icatian Javelineers is a good meta choice vs Faeries, and I am checking out Divinity of Pride at the moment. Not sure if it stays. Regarding the Mutavaults vs Flagstones, the latter is there because of Shard Volley, so if I take them out the Flagstones may go as well. However, considering all the double white costs and Oversoul etc, I am not sure if Mutavault is a good idea even though it is a damn good card. I can check it out to see if it is hampering me. It is not missing because I forgot it but because it doesn't produce W.

Kithkin are all and well, and the best move: Stalwart turn 1, Cenn turn 2 is certainly good, but other than that they are weak. That is the real problem using Kithkin; there aren't really that many good cards to choose from, even with Eventide.

Regarding Light from Within: I consider Ajani to be better, but I haven't tried it so that is on paper. A 10/10 blah blah for 5 mana is of course crazy. It is a battle Vigilance vs sheer Size. Plus if Ajani is killed the counters don't go away.
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to use Ajani, you might as well use MirrorWeave, since they're both only going to help you if you have multiple creatures, with the only differance being that Mirrorweave could end the game that turn. Ajani is useless. The only time Ajani will be good is when Mirrorweave would be better unless you're on the defensive. If you're on the defensive with an aggro deck you're finished anyways.

I'm shocked that you're not using the new RW Hybrid land, I assume that was an oversight on your part. With the hybrid land, Battlefield forges, and a few Gemstone Mines, you could try to squeak a giant theme into the deck and just have the most perfect manabase with Ancient Ampitheatre. A good choice might be 2 Brion's for your "Late game" surge, and some Jotun Grunts. Jotun Grunt is by no means a turn 2 play, but with Shard Volleys, Flagstones, and your other early drops getting killed by your opponent, a 3rd or 4th turn Grunt could be just what the doctor ordered.

I'm not sure if Mutavault is meant for an aggro deck, personally, I wouldn't use it. I believe Mutavault fills the role of a Control decks finisher, or the killing blow from a Midrange deck. In aggro, it's so important to maximize your mana at every stage of the early game, that the Mutavault disruption might end up costing you a lot more games than you'd like. This isn't true for Faeries and Merfolk, as those decks are more Control Aggro, and most of their money spells only cost 1 of any given colour. You would have to completely restructure your creature base to support Mutavaults. Mutavaults would be a hindrance in a deck with 8 WW drops and a 5 drop at WWWWW. Ridiculous.

Oblivion ring is a wonderful card that eliminates a blocker. Of course Direct damage has the same effect but can be aimed at an opponent head. Also at Instant speed.

As I see it you have 2 options :

Option 1 :

Fix your mana base (No Mutavaults) with

4 Forges,
4 RW Hybrids,
4 Gemstone Mines,
4 Ancient Ampitheatres,
4 Reflecting Pools
2 Plains.
2 Mountains

Exploit your mana base! This deck can easily support any Red or White creature from cc WWW to RRR, so you have complete freedom of choice, simply pick the best creatures for their respective converted mana costs and set a low curve. You can also be just as greedy with your spells. Imagine laying a land turn 3 and having the option of casting either Spectral Procession or Flame Javelin. Now that's power.

Of course you will need a minor Giant theme to produce such a fluid mana base. As I suggested before, Juton Grunt and 2 or 3 Brions are excellent choices.

Option 2 : A mostly Monowhite deck with Red Splashed purely for burn. To keep consistant creature drops you will have to use creatures with cc's like 1W, or 2W, and for consistant removal it will have to have only R in the cost, like Lash Out, Shock, or Punture Blast in order to support the 4 Mutavaults.

4 Mutavaults
4 Battlefield Forges
4 RW Hybrid lands
4 Gemstone Mines
1 Flagstones of Trokair
7 Plains

For a mana base like this, 1W cc 2 drops would be preferable to a WW drop, even one as powerful as Knight of Meadowgrain, or Soltari Priest. To be quite honest, a simple Benalish Calvary (1W, 2/2 flanking) would be better. Another good option would be Blade of the Sixth Pride. I'm sure you can figure out what works for you, but ideally a first turn plains and a 1 drop would be followed with a 2nd turn Mutavault and a 2 drop.

The goal of these 2 decks would be lay a threat for the first 3 turns of the game and either burn out your opponent or burn out blockers. The only real issue is the Mutavaults. :S Man, what a complicated card.

Anyways, there's my 2 cents. Later.
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he did have 4 rw hybrids...
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
he did have 4 rw hybrids...

Heh, I guess that's why I kept calling it the RW hybrid, I didn't recognize Rugged Praerie. Oh well. My other points are still good.
R3wind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been testing a list. This is the most up to date list.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
4 [10E] Battlefield Forge
4 [EVE] Rugged Prairie
8 [SHM] Plains (1)
2 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
1 [LRW] Ancient Amphitheater

// Creatures
4 [EVE] Figure of Destiny
4 [LRW] Knight of Meadowgrain
4 [TSB] Soltari Priest
4 [10E] Paladin en-Vec
3 [EVE] Balefire Liege
2 [EVE] Nobilis of War
2 [LRW] Brion Stoutarm

// Spells
4 [MOR] Shard Volley
4 [10E] Incinerate
4 [SHM] Spectral Procession
2 [SHM] Flame Javelin

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [CS] Cryoclasm
SB: 3 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [LRW] Wispmare
SB: 3 [EVE] Unmake
SB: 2 [SHM] Oversoul of Dusk

The sideboard is kinda thown together. It should give you answers to most issues.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1