Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UB thoughtreflection control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Mirage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This deck is great, except in my build I tore out 4 lands and tossed in 4 Scrapbasket. It's been really effective so far
AOCharm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say its a fun deck but not by any means competitive the issues with the reflections are the mana cost and the only color that can accel fast enough to properly use any reflection card would be green. Maybe splash green and some birds of paradise and Prismatic Omen and mana accel but it still wont make it competitive
AOCharm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

point is turn 5 there are far better things to play other than you get to draw an extra card. In a control deck you want mana left untapped
Orlandu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Hm Reply with quote

While in general, the above is correct, however there are situations where a control deck's best play is to tap out. Couple years ago alot of standard decks would play a turn 5 meloku or tidings, or a turn 6 keiga, mainly because nothing the opponenet could do would be better than what they were playing. While I certainly don't think thought reflection is good enough to tap out for, there are many others spells that are.
thranarama

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Orlandu, and right now blue/black control is lucky enough to have Keiga and Meloku rolled into one by using Oona. There is something very attractive about a threat that makes your opponent win that turn, kill Oona that turn, or they lose. Also, Oona removes cards from the game, so it is still effective against Reveilark and Mannequin-style decks like Quck 'n' Toast.
wyvernmonarc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youll die IRL before u cast thought reflection in an actual tournament
Orlandu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Hm Reply with quote

Double post, oops.

Last edited by Orlandu on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Orlandu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Hm Reply with quote

Basically, I'd focus more on the GREAT cards, and less on the okay cards. For instance, I'd take out the strangling soot for sure, along with the reflections, and either the mind stones or the relics, probably the relics since turn 2 you want to hold rune snag/remove soul/terror mana open on turn 2 generally. Alot of decks now have big plays on turn 2, and you want to be able to deal with them. Bitterblossom, doran off a birds, and lord of atlantis come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

I would also cut the tombstalkers for teferi's. Tombstalkers seems really good on paper, but in actual play he's rarely as impressive as he sounds. My playgroup spent ALOT of time trying to make him work, and we just couldn't. Teferi is ridiculous with aeon chronicler as well, allowing you to suspend him EOT and swing with what should be at least a 5/5 or 6/6 hasty guy. Plus both of those cards are nuts against faeries. You could also Oona, though I'm not entirely sure what to cut for her, as chronicler and teferi are just so good against faeries.

You also definetly want the fourth ancestral vision, or, barring that, cut them all for mystical teachings, and whether you do that or not, play tendrils of corruption and up your urborg count to 3. Tendrils is the nuts, allowing you to win a bitterblossom race, and just in general stay alive. Punish burn for activating their mutavault, etc.

As far as your removal suite goes that's really up to you. Besides the tendrils I would either run a playset of either terror, inversion, or slaughter pact. Slaughter pact is a nice option since it kills magus, and most anything that inversion would kill. Shriekmaw is, of course, another option, though not quite so nice if you're running teachings.

SB wise I'd go -3 Detritivore (cutting the red entirely from the deck) -3 Cryptic Command (since they need to be in the main), -4 Trickbind (not that amazing right now) for 4 Dragon's Claw, 1 Teferi, 4 Removal Spell (basically pact if you don't play it in the main, or terrors or inversions if you do. Another fine option is murderous redcap as it comes down, kills a guy, blocks a guy, maybe kills another guy (or at worst hits them for one), then blocks another guy), 2 Extirpate (Just a concession against lark and by splash damage swans combo if you run into it).

You can fix your mana base accordingly. Just some suggestions. Would I suggest taking this to regionals? Hell no. Could it win an FNM? Probably.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1