Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 additional turns rule

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
ykpon
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: 5 additional turns rule Reply with quote

i cant understand why not to use 5 additional turns rule in league tourneys instead of stupid higher life total rule?

higher life total doesnt show who is winning at all. i can have 4 darksteel colossus against empty hand and in play zone but still lose because of time because i sacrificed a fetchland turn 1 and opp didnt. is it fair? no. can 5 turns rule improve it? yes. thats why that rule is used everywhere in irl tourneys.

also higher life total rule makes nearly all players stalling last turns, !timing in main channel etc. do u like it? no. can judges always help with it giving right extension? no. sometimes yes but not always. also stalling during an extension is very popular because judges dont like to give 2nd extension at all. im pretty sure u had such situations and didnt like it.

1st problem with 5 turns rule is that it should be noticed immidiatly. but usuall timetimetime should too. 5 turns will just start when one of player notices it as it is now and if noone does they both should be dropped as it is now too.

2nd problem is that rounds will be longer maybe. but it becomes a little longer because of all these "judge my opp is stalling" after time was over, because of warnings and extension. also all this makes people nervous and just 5 turns dont at all.

can anybody explain me why 5 turns rule isnt used on m-l?
kfcman

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true 5 turn rule is used in IRL tourneys. However, on this site, using MWS, there is no way for the players to know exactly when time ended, turning the 5 turn rule into the possible 12 turn rule.

Also, like many have said before, the life rule is what it is, and if you don't like it don't play here or be smart and check !time in the chatroom and play accordingly.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) we are online and who wants to use that time? waiting for someone to notice time and then play 10 more minutes is not fun

B) WHAT DO YOU DO AFTER? these are single-elim tournaments... there needs to be a winner. adding 5 turns accomplishes nothing. if u had the win within your hands then get a lil bit better and your decisions take a fraction less each time and u have 2 more turns at the end.

the rule is fine. there needs to be AA rule so why not the ultimate tiebreaker? it's fine.
cm_

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we are online and who wants to use that time? waiting for someone to notice time and then play 10 more minutes is not fun

If it would be for 10 minutes, it might even be okay.

But it's worse. I've watched games where the last extra turn lasted more than 20 minutes. Think of Extended Heartbeat. Or worse, Solidarity mirror in Legacy, where there are 10 different spells on the stack and both players have 2 Twincast and 2 Force of Will in hand. Do you really want to wait 30 minutes to continue playing in your mini?

Also, even with the current rule, there are players which don't notice time until 10 minutes after Timeout (and after I msg'ed them twice) and then start arguing who has won the match. This is not fun.
niknight

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conkisstador hit the nail right on the head. Since all minis and trials are single elimination, what do you do when the 5 extra turns end and there still is no winner?? You can't report a draw because each match has to have a winner.

If you can come up with an elegant solution to that, we'd be happy to listen... but if you're just complaining because you got screwed by the high life rule then you're out of luck.
Shatta

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a RL tournament if it`s single elimination. It goes to whoever has more life. If the lifetotals are tied it goes to sudden death which is first point of damage wins. So what`s wrong with using this online.
ykpon
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i just didnt play any irl single elimination tourneys (only tops with unlimited time). then i like this:"It goes to whoever has more life. If the lifetotals are tied it goes to sudden death which is first point of damage wins." more than hpw it is now on ml. why not to use it? or better not first point of damage but first lost life point. do u expect a lot of high tide mirrors really? and how does it work irl if both decks have same life totals and cant deal damage for a long time?
Crevette

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some tournament in FRANCE, the victory go to the one who won the first round... That could be a solution for the matches with the best of three round, when you have 1-1 and draw on the last round. Sure it could'nt solve one round matches.
ykpon
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know how it exactly works in irl single elimination tourneys with limited round time?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1