Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Physical Trading Across the Globe

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
VinylDragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Physical Trading Across the Globe Reply with quote

So my playtest group and I were sitting around working on some proxies with lorwyn and my friend said, "I was talking to this guy from Cali who wants to trade over the net. But i'm not keen on doing that". So we searched for a secure way to do this transaction, and to no avail. Now we came up with an idea and want a little feedback on what you guys all think.

A service that basically plays the "middle man" for physical card trade transations for all TCG's. You log into a site that you subscribe to (possibly for a minimal monthly fee) and you gain access to numerous forums where people post their haves/wants from around the globe. Now lets say Billy has 4x Bridges from Below that Jimmy wants, and Jimmy has 4x Karplusian Forest that Billy wants. Well they go thru a process of forms to say what they are trading, to who and how, and where they are going. Both people send their items to OUR service center. Once both are recieved we send them to the proper people. Basically completing the trade.

Is there a site like this? or a serivce similar to this alread we don't know about? and any suggestions on making this idea better? Thanks guys
Die_t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: neat idea Reply with quote

It's a neat idea, but there are many things to concider from a consumers stand point.

Would it be cheaper to purchase the cards off e-bay or any other e-tailer? E-bay is not garenteed, but you will probably get your cards. Other e-tailers have garentees.

Brick and morder stores. If there a store near you that you could possible find people to trade with. Or you could possible convince a store owner to put up a bullitin board to post cards for trade.

Business concerns:

Cost of server and other forms of hosting. (not really a big problem)

Nominal fee, and/or transaction fee. I would go with transaction. Let people browse and contact people for free, and have them send you a dollar or something in the envolope with the cards. That's how I'd do it.

Liability problems. How do you prove someone sent something to you? If trader A sends his bridges and player B claims he sent the Karplusian forst, but really didn't, what do you do? Are you liable? Yes, you could send the cards back of those who did send them. Have some sort of waiting period, but what about high dollar trades? Maybe for certain trades you should require insurence or possible confrim shipping.

Competition. MagicTrader.com looks like a pretty well done website. Will people's need for secure shipping make them come to your website over magic trader? I breifly read their policies and what not. You could possibly establish a compeditive advantage if you do often trades in other games. There is a website that lets poeple trade gift cards in a simular way.

I have many other ideas, but I'll leave you with that. If you are intrested PM me. I'm graduating in May with a business degree, this stuff is what I do.

edit: there is also http://www.tradecardsonline.com/ and you can trade on essentailmagic.com. It might not be a bad idea to try and partner with an existing website.
Die_t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: answer Reply with quote

ok, I looked around. (you spiked my intrest)

You can do secure trades on http://www.tradecardsonline.com/. Where you mail them your cards and if the both persons send in the cards/money they agreed on, then the trade goes through. If not, then the cards/money are sent back.
Alandariel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also trade cards on MTGSalvation.com. I believe (don't quote me on this) that you can use a middle-man that is well-known and trusted. Also, you can view a trade history of the person you wish to trade with. Still not 100% secure, but the only way you're going to get that secure is to do it in real life.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1