Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who made Magic-League.com?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
nopenopenope

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's Lamex
Circa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Koen is the owner. Lamex just designed the site.
nopenopenope

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A site like that isn't just design, it's prog too. Just check the Log viewer, it's very long to make this. Php rulz
Laplie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koen and Alex hacked together this version of the site around the summer of 2004. (and yes I mean "hacked together if you saw the code you would know what I mean). Over the years, Lamex, Alex, Koen, and I have been improving the performance, features, and stability of the site.

Most of the new features and bug fixes over the last ~1.5 years have been coded by me. There are many features that you don't see (like ban admin, newspost comment editing, etc) that have been coded very recently.

The original online judge test was coded by Alex. The algorithm improvements (such as choosing a range of questions from different difficulties) was added later.

Lamex coded the old forums (that prob few remember). We later switched to the current forums provided by phpBB. Lamex is currently working on the new version of the site build on a completely new codebase.

The site is pretty basic in using PHP on top of MySQL on a shared host. In the future we may add more AJAXy type stuff.
RichardDWade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laplie wrote:

Lamex coded the old forums (that prob few remember). We later switched to the current forums provided by phpBB. Lamex is currently working on the new version of the site build on a completely new codebase.

The site is pretty basic in using PHP on top of MySQL on a shared host. In the future we may add more AJAXy type stuff.

uhhhhh.... What? lol... you guys and your computers are literally a major part of my night life, and its great!
nopenopenope

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm corrently studying in computer engineering or computer science(It exist a specific word in french who deosn't exist in english So I don't know how to say it). I work a lot with Visual Basic and Ill learn the c++ soon. I'm actualy working on a program like apprentice, but as I said, I'm a noob so I'm not fast. One day, Ill have my own program that own all others!
Fanboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you guys will ever update the site visually? This site is begging for a Flash interface when you have time (I realize this isn't exactly a cooperate operation).

But, yeah the site looks fine...but when are we to expect a site that looks great? (video banners FTW?)
Haro
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't video/flash banner increase bandwidth usage thus making the site more unstable if its slow?
Laplie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haro wrote:
Won't video/flash banner increase bandwidth usage thus making the site more unstable if its slow?

Bandwidth isn't the problem. M-L uses very little bandwidth, the problem is database queries which M-L uses a lot of. Putting up a video banner won't make the site run any slower.

[quote ="Fanboy"] Think you guys will ever update the site visually? This site is begging for a Flash interface when you have time (I realize this isn't exactly a cooperate operation).

But, yeah the site looks fine...but when are we to expect a site that looks great? (video banners FTW?)[/quote]

With all the PHP in use, flash (as an interface) is not really a viable option. As for styling, we might do things like fix up the style sheets and add more contrast/change colors. We could also do things like collapsible menus etc. Anything more than that will have to wait for the next version of the site (that lamex is working on).

As for flash video banners, if someone makes one, we might put it up.
nopenopenope

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video banner don't make a site look better. But it should be interesting to add some pictures. Like picture of popular players and player of the week etc. Also Picture of poeple who make article.
N.B All those idea should be in the new site.

The site was great when it was pink!

When do you think Lamex will finish the new site?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1