Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things you wished you knew before going to a regional...

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Taoofss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope i dont bring black/red rack to regions because it blows dick vs gruul, and other x/r agro decks. because this is regionals, 50 percent of the field will be x/r agro.
maltabus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things. Make sure your sleeves aren't marked and are either uniform back or official magic:the gathering sleeves.
Be sure to double check priority being passed, end of turn, etc. Drawing extra cards can quickly get you /gl'ed.

Good luck. Maybe.
kby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Don't Cheat
-Don't Draw Extra Cards
-Write down your life total and your opponents life total, on a piece of paper. Dice don't work, and won't be taken seriously because paper is more offical.
-Personal Deck Check after each round.
-Don't side in/out more then the cards your putting in/out
-Keep sideboard at a constant 15 cards, and deck at 60 cards(or more)
-don't change deck mid tournament
-Make sure your opponent doesn't cheat, such as drawing extra cards, untapping lands, etc...
-----------
ways to get cheap wins, but are totally legal because they are cheating:
-They sb extra cards
-They have missing cards
-SB is not equal to 15 cards
-Marked cards/sleeves

-----------
-Check your ranking/wins after each round.
-Sleep
-Eat
-Drink
-Practice
-Practice
-OH and bring a good deck.
Magx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the guy who said that 50 percent of the field will be aggro.. depends on where you live man... in Montreal, MORE THAN 50 percent of the field WILL be control...

for the things you should know now...

like the other guy said... make sure your sleeves are not marked (buy new GOOD ones, not those with those images... they suck big time)

listen well what the judges has to say (but Mauro won't get you a game loss if you talk while it talks.. he always says that but never does it...)

don't draw BEFORE the roll... and say CLEARLY who is playing...

always announce CLEARLY and loudly what you are playing (there will be a lot of noises)

obv, don't draw a card too much (or don't get caught Wink ) because you will be disqualified (cheating)

be polite, nice (shaking hands and everything) but... if the guy is fair, be fair... if the guy is a bitch, be a bitch... (and don't make mistakes )

... if you live in a place like Montreal (where people are SUPPOSED to talk french... TALK FRENCH... if the guy doesn't understand a thing.. well, too bad !! ) -> it maybe seem irrelevant but if the guy somehow at least understand french, you are making him translating what you say... and it doesn t seem so, but translating for the brain is REALLY demanding (ask any translator)
so, the guy is think at least twice as much as you...

and the MOST IMPORTANT THING (no, "not have fun", it's a tournament, you are there to win)-> if you don't know or are unsure of something , call a judge ! and wait for it (and make your opponent wait for it)

I think that s it
kby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot this..but it does help:

When you take your deck out to shuffle, dont look at the cards while you are shuffling....you get warnings and such...

Shuffle your opponents deck(and don't peak) each round.
If someone cuts there deck after you "tap" or cut like 5 cards..call the judge as they obviously stacked there deck

Also:

Roll Die, to see who is going first
Tell/ask Play or Draw(if they don't and they draw a card, they must PLAY)
Don't draw your hand till after the person who is "playing" does first, prevents them from coldreading you, or trys too.
Look at your hand... don't say stupid things...and enjoy the day Smile

ps: luck does have some effect.... but maybe you can get MWS Shuffler help while your there Smile
Greatness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a few tips for anyone.

Always bring paper!! Keeping track of players life totals on paper ALWAYS wins over die. If your opponent does not have paper the judge will rule in your favor over life totals. To be sure always note why life totals of each player changes.

If your opponent draws their opening seven in bunches, call them on it. Ask to display how many cards they have in hand. In the early rounds scrubs try and get away with 8 cards often. They get a warning have to auto mull.

If you are looking to win you can't be nice to people. If you see your opponents mess up, call a judge. You have to assume they would do the same to you, no matter how nice they may seem.

Always ask for a sb count AFTER they draw the inital seven. It is a free way to get a win if they mess up and it can never hurt.

If you see someone breaking the rules in your favor, play it safe and correct him, you can get penalized as well. For instance an opponent forgets to gain life from a essence warden. This is required, but you don't have to remind him on things that say may.

ALWAYS shffle your opponents deck. People complain about this MWS shuffler crap. It is TRUE randomness. After every game who doesn't space out thier lands and pile shuffle. This is not random. You wanna mix cards up, it takes 9 rifle shuffles. I forget the equation but 9 is enough to make things random.

Know the rules!!! Seems basic but actually study a bit. Make sure you know about priorty changes, all phases, and rulings on popular decks you well see there.

(Ex. I don't know have many people I play do not understand that you can respond to a flashback dread return when a bridge from below is the the grave to prevent the zombies from coming in. You are responding to the triggers going onto the stack. Because the bridge has an "if" clause in it, it must be in the grave at beginning and end of resolution.)
kikimikejiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh magx make sure when u call the judge if u dont like mauros ruling or jp- villepouxs call michel or josee they actually kno stuff villepoux is just funny:)
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before i went to regionals this year, i made sure to read the penalty guidelines and recent FAQ again, cleaned the black pants and my shoes :/

xD
Taoofss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kby wrote:

If someone cuts there deck after you "tap" or cut like 5 cards..call the judge as they obviously stacked there deck

what the hell is this suppose to mean? you are allowed to cut your deck if your opponent shuffles. and how the hell does calling over judges prove they stacked the deck? unless you catch someone in the act of stacking the deck, please dont be a moron like this guy.
ant900

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taoofss wrote:
kby wrote:

what the hell is this suppose to mean? you are allowed to cut your deck if your opponent shuffles. and how the hell does calling over judges prove they stacked the deck? unless you catch someone in the act of stacking the deck, please dont be a moron like this guy.

read what he said, he said the you tap (not even cutting) and a single cut, both of which you can not cut your deck your self afterwards.
Magx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikimikejiki wrote:
oh magx make sure when u call the judge if u dont like mauros ruling or jp- villepouxs call michel or josee they actually kno stuff villepoux is just funny:)

acutally, I think Mauro is fair in his rulings... I actually like him as a judge ( I think is reputation is overmade)...

I know JP is funny... I played once against him in a somwhat casual limited game and I had so much fun with him...
Enderdejoran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: dumbass Reply with quote

Taoofss wrote:

Wtf r u talking about Taoofs? You definitely CANNOT cut your deck after ur opponent cuts. Otherwise, why the hell wud ur opponent cut it in the first place? its like, "oh, u wanna unrig my deck? lemme rig it again, brb..."
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1