Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GBR Greater Good

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Afroking_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: GBR Greater Good Reply with quote

I have been toying around with this list quite a bit, and it has pretty good tools vs. the format post-board. It runs 16 acceleration, some beats, greater good, and reanimation spells.

4 Gleancrawler
4 Bogarden Hellkite

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar elves
4 Yavimaya Dryad
4 Mwunvoli Acid Moss

3 Greater Good

2 Loxodon Warhammer

4 Zombify
4 Lightning Axe
2 Dread Return

4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Stomping Ground
12 Forest
1 Urza's Factory

Sideboard:

3 Moratorium Stone
2 Jester's Cap
4 Naturalize
3 Boiling Seas
3 Fortune Thief

This deck rolls to Dragonstorm, even with Jester's Cap in the board. BDW is a tough matchup if you don't get a Loxodon Warhammer. Smallpox turn 2 is terrible for you, if you played a mana creature.

That being said, the list has a good clock, and a fatty plus greater good for insurance will generally win you the game. It does well vs. Random.dec, and the control matchup is pretty good post-board.

MWC is a lot worse after moratorium stone, and any deck with urza will be hurt by the acid mosses.

Please give me your tips and suggestions.
Club_Funk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..
Needs more Protean Hulk
Stinky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightning Axe= Bad.

That and Hellkite are only MD red. Ditch the Red, go straight GB. Should help your mana base.
Spyx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not go GBW, with acces to hierarch and akroma?
Tom_Sieve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Hm-Hm-Hm... Reply with quote

I agree with Stinky, in the respect of the Red in this deck; the Hellkites are good, but unless you have more of a reason to have both it and Lightning Axe (Which, although good with reanimation spells, is not as good as others), I'd drop it in favor of straight G/B goodness or tossing white in for Akroma and Hierarch (And a few others, as Spyx had suggested). My personal opinion is to go for tossing White in the mix; aside from the beatsticks, it can provide the weenies that are ideal for Dread Return's Flashback cost.

I'll toss in a more elaborate suggestion in a little while; I GtG pick up my little sister. =D
Afroking_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have another list using Protean Hulk and white. That list ditches the red and gets more use out of the Greater Good interactions.

However, this list is more consistant, and multiple recursions of the hellkite are huge, which is why you want to sac it, in response to someone's question.

What I believe white lacks, in adding to this deck, is a good discard outlet, which is half the reason to run lightning axe. The best option is Peace of Mind, which costs an additional 1 and colored. You also lose the fantastic Fortune Thief, who often will "just win" against an unprepared opponent.

What White gains is the twin angels of despair and wrath. It gains SB hoser CoP:red, more use out of moritorium stone, and Congregation of Dawn, which can be monstrous. It gains possible fetters and hierarch, as well as better enchantment/ artifact hate: Return to Dust. Wrath kills my own board, I rely on mana creatures hugely. Finally, it gains Vitu-Ghazi instead of Factory.

I don't know. The deck tries to avoid blue because it loses focus on Greater Good, but Blue provides much better discard outlets plus draw. Simic Sky Swallower is the only fat it gains, and I don't want to lose the speed that this build has.

So Blue is practical. White offers consistency. Red has some cool synergy. I'll post a White build in a bit.
Tom_Sieve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm back. ^-^

Onkel raises a very, -very- valid point; Greater Good was at its prime with the Kamigawa Dragons and the Goryo's (Splicing Goryo's Vengeance with Footsteps of the Goryo was always fun!). This isn't to say that you won't be able to abuse GG, just not in the way of frustrating an opponent to tears.

First of all, utilizing creatures that can benefit from the amount of things likely to be in your graveyard would be a plus; Avatar of Woe and Mystic Enforcer come to mind. Protean Hulk would also be a beautiful way to reel in other creatures.

I think Dread Return has a lot of potential with this deck; while some discarded reanimation is useless, sacking three probable weenies for Akroma sounds pretty freakin' sweet. Yavimaya Dryad...Well, it's not that great, really; sure, you reel in a land card and end up having a creature with Forestwalk, but it's only 2/1 and you're relying on the Warhammer to beef it up- and there's only two of them in there.

My suggestions?

-6 Forest
-4 Bogarden Hellkite
-4 Gleancrawler
-4 Yavimaya Dryad
-4 Lightning Axe
-4 Stomping Ground
-2 Loxodon Warhammer
-2 Llanowar Elves
-1 Zombify

+4 Temple Garden
+3 Flagstones of Trokair
+2 Vitu-Ghazi, the City Tree
+1 Swamp
+4 Wrath of God
+4 Protean Hulk
+4 Mystic Enforcer
+3 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
+3 Watchwolf
+2 Elves of Deep Shadow
+1 Dread Return

To be honest, I was considering tossing Fists of Ironwood in; when played on Protean Hulk, not only does the damage go through but sacking it and the two saproling tokens to a Flashbacked Dread Return means a graveyard-beatstick and a few more pulled from your library. =3 However, the mana base is sound enough and Smallpox doesn't hurt you as much with Flagstones in play; just drag a Temple Garden in when the pox hits the field. Uzra's Factory is awesome late-game, but until you have seven mana sitting unspent every turn I figured that putting a Sacrificial 1/1 Saproling into play wasn't a bad idea with Vitu-Ghazi. Angel of Despair was hard to give up, but Mystic Enforcer's too beautiful when it has threshold and Watchwolf works perfectly with Mystic in being played with Protean Hulk's ability- or three on their own, in a pinch. And Akroma...Well, Akroma's too good to pass up, to an extent.

One problem I see with this deck is the lack of spot-removal; meaning that you're as likely to completely wipe every creature you have off the board along with your opponents. Really, this is mitigated by the Protean Hulk and the amount of reanimation in this deck. The Acid-Moss seems to work well enough; however, the only other thing I'm worried about is your card advantage. Bob is most definately out of the question (Considering the beatsticks throughout the deck would kill you faster than your opponent will), but Phyrexian Arena isn't. With Greater Good and a large creature out, however, I could just be a worrywart. Needless to say, Tormod's Crypt and Withered Wretch hurt this deck about as much as they hurt just about anything that utilizes a graveyard; but if worse comes to worse, hardcast and swing away!

In either case, that's my take on it; rest assured, I'll be keeping an eye on this string. I'm sure there are plenty out there who have better ideas then what I've tossed out. ^-^

Oh, and p.s.: Afroking, I didn't mean to steal any thunder; I had this all typed up for the past few hours, but I had to hop offline. Again. >.< I hate my parents so much, at times.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1