Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Union Jack Control (Uwr control)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Union Jack Control (Uwr control) Reply with quote

Union Jack Control (UWR control)

This is a deck I have been toying around with on modo, itís a lot of fun to play if you enjoy control decks but my results I have got have been pretty poor. Iím playing a lot less magic than I use to, so maybe Iím getting worse at magic or maybe itís just the deck is not that good or perhaps both. However I thought I would share it with you and hopefully spark up some respectful discussion on the archtype. I noted a few copies of UWR decks making day 2 of gps but no mention of them was made on wizards and I could not find any deck lists, if you have any of those lists I would be quite interested to look at them.

The List
1 Pithing needle
2 Chained to the rocks
4 Magma Jet
1 Lightning Strike
2 Azorious Charm
1 Mizzium Mortars
4 Detention Sphere
3 Dissolve
2 Anger the Gods
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Jace, Architect of thought
2 Elspeth, Suns Champion
2 Aetherling
3 Sphinxís Revelation

4 Azorius Guildgate
4 Hallowed Founatin
4 Steam Vents
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Island
3 Mountain

(27 lands 16 blue sources 16 White Sources 15 Red Sources)

So why would I play this over UW or Esper?

Firstly you are expecting a much more aggressive meta which is quite common these days, with a lot of mono u, you have a great match up, red aggro (not the burn version that is a horrible match up) some uw as you have game vs that they often do not have aetherling plus should lose mana wars as you have the edge on land count and scry. Not much esper as thoughtseize and the extra scry they have makes that match up much harder. Some but hopefully not too much mono black, as you have a hard time beating underworld connections if it gets out of control but the match up is winnable. RG aggro strategies are also decks you want to see. The white wennie deck seems to have so many ways of getting around board sweepers plus muta vault (the bane of this deck) that I think it is actually bad.

So why add red. The main reason is actually Magma jet the scry is just incredibly powerful, it ensures you do not miss land drops, digs for your end game power spells late on and allows you to shave number on other cards here and there thanks to the extra dig it gives. Its just so much better than azorius charm as it provides a permanent answer particularly to muta vault, plus digs deeper to find you the spell or lands you want, plus much better than last breath.

It also creates the magma jet, detention sphere conundrum vs control, in which if they resolve jace and they -2 it you can magma jet and kill it and they get little value or they can +1 it and then you detention sphere it and they get no value, damned if you do damned if you donít, which is the situation you always want to be creating with control decks.

Anger the gods helps improve many match ups, as well as helping handle a pack rat problem. Chained to the rocks, handles big creatures such as desecration demon plus at one mana, allows you to easily cast and leave dissolve mana up. You do not want more than 2 as you never want to make peak eruption really good vs you as it would be if you play a full suite.

Mortars handles, dragons and smiters , plus acts as a 7th sweeper late on.

Lightning Strike is mostly a concession to mutavault, which is the main reason pithing needle is included also (plus connections pws), its not funny the amount of games I have lost because of that card, its just so good vs control.

Sb

1 anger the gods (aggro)
1 chained to the rocks (aggro non red, red might bring in peak erruption)
1 dissolve (control)
2 Gainsay (mono blue, control)
1 last breath (decks with necromancer, phoenix, voice or vaults)
2 Mizzium Mortars (decks with smitter or stormbreath dragon)
2 Negate (Control)
1 Pithing needle (decks with vaults, pws, connections, not red white decks as they have wear tear)
2 War Learders Helix Burn
2 Wear tear, decks with connections, mana barbs, if you suspect they may side in pithing needle, esper, uw for sphere)

Thoughtís Ideaís appreciated. Smile
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I've continued working on this deck and with testing the results have got much better. I now beat mono blue and black fairly consistently. Green decks are also good. Control can be tough but is certainly winnable and I have a sideboard plan for that which can work. In fact with more testing most match ups have improved. I think it's mostly a case of a better sideboard and better sideboarding.

The List
1 Pithing needle
2 Chained to the rocks
3 Magma Jet
2 Turn/Burn
2 Azorious Charm
1 Mizzium Mortars
4 Detention Sphere
3 Dissolve
2 Anger the Gods
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Jace, Architect of thought
2 Elspeth, Suns Champion
2 Aetherling
3 Sphinxís Revelation

4 Azorius Guildgate
4 Hallowed Founatin
4 Steam Vents
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
5 Island
2 Mountain

27 lands (17 blue sources 16 White Sources 14 Red Sources)

The only changes to the main are the adding of two turn/burn, this specifically kills ghost council which was making the deck look bad. Its also good at killing weenies or other fatties later on so i actually like a mix of this and magma jet.

Sb

1 anger the gods (aggro)
1 dissolve (control)
3 Gainsay (mono blue, control)
1 last breath (decks with necromancer, phoenix, voice or vaults)
1 turn burn (some aggro, deck with fatties plus weenies, vs ghost council, storm breath dragon)
1 Negate (Control)
2 Wear tear, decks with connections, mana barbs, if you suspect they may side in pithing needle, esper, uw for sphere)
2 Assemble the legion (Mono black, control, I board them in vs control as the plan after board is to bring them in as well as the wear tears draw and counters and overload their detention spheres.)
2 Divination (Control mono black)
1 Mizzium Mortars (deck's with stormbreath dragon, smiter, some aggro)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1