Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 276: Another brick in the wall (JUDGED)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: CAC 276: Another brick in the wall (JUDGED) Reply with quote

Here you will need some creativity!

Please design a card that will give a lot of power to creatures with defender. The point is to make a deck with 12 or 16 walls playable or better competitive in T2 or/and Modern.

No guidelines for judging, I will judge with my heart Wink

Last edited by Thelemys on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Strid3r

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1W Dance of Defenders

Enchantment | Mythic Rare

Creatures you control with defender can attack as though they didn't have defender and they assign combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.

"The dormant can be awaken by strengtening their souls with magic."
- Doran, the Enchanter
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1W - Facade of Augury (Uncommon)
Creature - Wall
Whenever a Wall enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card.
"He searched for a vision that does not include portents."
—Expedition journal entry
0/3
sc4rs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyskos, Perimeter Captain
2WR
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier - Mythic Rare
Defender
Other creatures you control with defender get +2/+2.
Creatures your opponents control must attack each turn if able.
2/6
He has many more spears than any army has men.
Canabiest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polytychos, Labyrinth Lord
3UR
Legendary Creature - Minotaur
Mythic Rare

Haste

T: Put a 0/3 red Wall creature token with defender onto the battlefield.

Tap an untapped creature with defender you control: Tap target permanent.

6/4

The minotaur, finally free, reached the end of the labyrinth shuddered, and immediatly started building walls. Intend on making the whole world his prison.

Last edited by Canabiest on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
saurgoth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crumbling Perimeter
1R
Enchantment - Rare

Tap an untapped creature with defender you control: Crumbling Perimeter deals one damage to each opponent. Activate this ability no more than four times each turn.

The recent fossil discovery settles the question of why today's dragons prefer to sleep under open sky.
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Kithkin Stronghold Reply with quote

Kithkin Stronghold

Legendary Land - Stronghold
Rare

T: Add 1 colorless mana

T: 1W put a 0/1 White Kithkin Soldier Token with defender into play with this token gets +0/+1 for each other Soldier you control.

T: 1W Target soldier token loses defender until end of turn.

Good walls make dead neighbors! Kithkin proverb

Last edited by kamphgruppe on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:25 am; edited 6 times in total
Mizukage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenga's Sentinel | 1GW

Creature - Wall (Uncommon)

You may pay 1 and return a basic land you control to its owner's hand rather than pay Jenga's Sentinel's mana cost.

Tap: Add G or W to your mana pool.

G/W, Tap: Put target card from a graveyard on the bottom of its owner's library. You gain 1 life.

A small advantage goes a long way if you learn to stack them correctly.

A cycle of wall/lands with low-impact abilities.
IanStraka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claustromancer

1UB

Creature - Human Spellshaper | Rare

At the beginning of the end step, if you control 8 or more creatures with defender, you may sacrifice all creatures with defender you control. If you do, target opponent loses the game.

UB,T, discard a card from your hand: Put a 0/2 black Wall creature token with defender into play.

1/1

It turns out the walls really were closing in on him.
Jacois

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Maze - 2UUUUU
Sorcery (rare)
Exile all Wall creatures you control. Your opponent skips that many his or her next turns.
While you a wandering in a maze, I'll do the job - Jace, Architect of Thought
Thelemys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go:

iSperia wrote:
Lost in Maze - 2UUUUU
Sorcery (rare)
Exile all Wall creatures you control. Your opponent skips that many his or her next turns.
While you a wandering in a maze, I'll do the job - Jace, Architect of Thought
I like a lot the concept, it feels competitive with some cool walls on the battlefield. Not sure if it's enough to do a good decklist in T2 but the flavour puts you in best entries.
Jacois wrote:
Nice idea to use a planeswalker, this card is enough to get a competitive wall deck... may be too powerfull at 4cc.
yajiko wrote:
overpowered defense 1R
sorcery - uncommon

as an additional cost to play cardname, sacrifice a creature with defender.

cardname deals 5 damage to target player.

tap 3 creatures with defender: return cardname from your graveyard to your hand.

"without any armor of faith, one cannot simply pass the falling rocks of weakness"
needs a good WUR deck or GR Ramp to use this type of card, i find difficult to imagine a competitive decklist with it, I like the way it's recursive but I'm not sure it's enough to see 16 walls in a deck.
Mizukage wrote:
Jenga's Sentinel | 1GW

Creature - Wall (Uncommon)

You may pay 1 and return a basic land you control to its owner's hand rather than pay Jenga's Sentinel's mana cost.

Tap: Add G or W to your mana pool.

G/W, Tap: Put target card from a graveyard on the bottom of its owner's library. You gain 1 life.

A small advantage goes a long way if you learn to stack them correctly.

A cycle of wall/lands with low-impact abilities.
I see the point, what a shame the exemple you took is not a win condition! I would love to see a R/B wall of yours Sad
IanStraka wrote:
Claustromancer

1UB

Creature - Human Spellshaper | Rare

At the beginning of the end step, if you control 8 or more creatures with defender, you may sacrifice all creatures with defender you control. If you do, target opponent loses the game.

UB,T, discard a card from your hand: Put a 0/2 black Wall creature token with defender into play.

1/1

It turns out the walls really were closing in on him.
Not a big fan of your Spellshaper in the way you designed it: the win condition flavour is interesting but it doesn't move much.
kamphgruppe wrote:
Kithkin Stronghold

Legendary Land - Stronghold
Rare

T: Add 1 colorless mana

T: 1W put a 0/1 White Kithkin Soldier Token with defender into play with this token gets +0/+1 for each other Soldier you control.

T: 1W Target soldier token loses defender until end of turn.

Good walls make dead neighbors! Kithkin proverb
I see the point in a WW soldier competitive deck, good idea to use a land. What I don't like is the way your tokens use a lot of mana to lose defender one by one and the way they are boosted lacks of simplicity.
Stucco wrote:
Academy Warden...............1WU
Creature - Human Wizard....U

Defender, Flash

Whenever Academy Warden or another creature with Defender enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 1. If you do, return target creature to its owner's hand.

The Tolarian Academy is protected by more than mere walls.

1/3
It's a well designed card IMO, I like the flash, the flavour. I'm just not sure it's enough to make a deck with 16 walls competitive.
saurgoth wrote:
Crumbling Perimeter
1R
Enchantment - Rare

Tap an untapped creature with defender you control: Crumbling Perimeter deals one damage to each opponent. Activate this ability no more than four times each turn.

The recent fossil discovery settles the question of why today's dragons prefer to sleep under open sky.
I like your card a lot, flavour and the way it works at instant speed to use it at the end of a turn. Not sure the limitation was needed, it seems not natural or explainable by flavour.
Canabiest wrote:
Polytychos, Labyrinth Lord
3UR
Legendary Creature - Minotaur
Mythic Rare

Haste

T: Put a 0/3 red Wall creature token with defender onto the battlefield.

Tap an untapped creature with defender you control: Tap target permanent.

6/4

The minotaur, finally free, reached the end of the labyrinth shuddered, and immediatly started building walls. Intend on making the whole world his prison.
Minotor was a good idea, but tap any permanent is very strong (land?), especially as it's a wall token dealer
sc4rs wrote:
Vyskos, Perimeter Captain
2WR
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier - Mythic Rare
Defender
Other creatures you control with defender get +2/+2.
Creatures your opponents control must attack each turn if able.
2/6
He has many more spears than any army has men.
killing opponent's creatures with wall is an interesting concept, the problem is you don't need walls to do that with your card Wink
CMA-Flippi wrote:
1W - Facade of Augury (Uncommon)
Creature - Wall
Whenever a Wall enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card.
"He searched for a vision that does not include portents."
—Expedition journal entry
0/3
I like a lot the way it's simple, wall of omens was competitive so it will be used, I don't really see the way it would be played with 12 other defender cards in a WXX deck
Strid3r wrote:
1W Dance of Defenders

Enchantment | Mythic Rare

Creatures you control with defender can attack as though they didn't have defender and they assign combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.

"The dormant can be awaken by strengtening their souls with magic."
- Doran, the Enchanter
it looks a little bit undercosted IMO and with Doran in my mind I can't see this beeing just W, the rest is very interesting

My top 3:

1/ saurgoth / Crumbling Perimeters
2/ Jacois / Goh'Dash
3/ Mizukage / Jenga's Sentinel
IanStraka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He legit changed a single digit amount of words from Crackling Perimeter. http://magiccards.info/gtc/en/88.html Just saying.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right.
I did not see that but the fact is I liked the design (WOTC design are not bad after all).
It's a lot less creative than I though, my mistake.

That said, it was IMO a good idea to be inspired by this card for my CAC.
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: congrats Reply with quote

Congrats to the winner, and thanks judge for your constructive input!

I have never liked critters with defender and seldom put them in my decks. A critter with similar abilities which can attack always seems like a better option to me. That's where the idea of a land which produced defenders came from because it does not subtract from the attacking power of the deck. Interesting that you thought the idea of boosting the toughness was complicated, there are two or three critters in current standard that are boosted by the number of critters in play. I could see this card in several decks. U/W control, any deck which sacks critters for abilities, and deck which gains syenergy from having multiple critters with defender. In hindsight I agree that the lose defender option was overcosted. Thanks again for the insight and fun time.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2