Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esper Ghost Dad

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
mayan_heck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Esper Ghost Dad Reply with quote

since i saw Obzedat, i wanted to play with him a little. i love ghosts and dads.

i figured the best shell to put him in would be esper. he might work better in some sort of 4c ramp/reanimator shell, but i love esper.

here's my list so far:

// Lands
4 [GTC] Watery Grave
4 [GTC] Godless Shrine
4 [RTR] Hallowed Fountain
4 [ISD] Isolated Chapel
3 [M13] Glacial Fortress
3 [M13] Drowned Catacomb
1 [ISD] Nephalia Drownyard
2 [AVR] Cavern of Souls

// Creatures
3 [GTC] Obzedat, Ghost Council
3 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
1 [AVR] Restoration Angel

// Spells
2 [ISD] Unburial Rites
3 [DKA] Lingering Souls
3 [GTC] Dimir Charm
1 [RTR] Syncopate
2 [ISD] Dissipate
4 [RTR] Azorius Charm
3 [AVR] Terminus
4 [ISD] Think Twice
2 [GTC] Gideon, Champion of Justice
3 [RTR] Sphinx's Revelation
1 [ISD] Forbidden Alchemy

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [RTR] Ultimate Price
SB: 1 [ISD] Sever the Bloodline
SB: 3 [RTR] Supreme Verdict
SB: 2 [GTC] Devour Flesh
SB: 1 [DKA] Tragic Slip
SB: 3 [GTC] Blind Obedience
SB: 3 [RTR] Detention Sphere

we have the usual draw spells here, and dimir charm to help dig for obzedat, and set up terminus draws. its greedy, but our aim is to always terminus on our opponents turn. we need the board clear for our 5/5 drain 2 ghostly beater.

rites is here for value, really. they might not be necessary. having multiple ways to get obzedat into play seems fine though.

gideon is something i want to try. yes, he's probably bad. yes he has no impact on the board. but from what i can see, he's still a solid post-wrath beater, unless the meta ends up with lots of burn. just want to try it out. it could be that dimir keyrune is much better. who knows.

the sideboard is just me testing out some of the new cards, you can ignore most of those. maybe maindeck the verdicts, only having the 3 terminus is pretty bad. need to change that.

it might just be that esper control is a much better deck (even more so with the new lands) but i like trying new things.
Fefestars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this deck in a couple of matches and this is what I learned about it:

Dimir Charm is just really bad. It is slow, it doesnt draw you a card and in 98% of the time even the removal part is worthless. It doesnt help to kill Loxodon Smiters, Hellriders and you will never use it on a Strangleroot Geist. Its good against like Red-Deck-Wins or maybe Boros, but that's about it. I would cut them all.

Also this deck has zero outs to Geist of Saint Traft but blocking it. So the Aura-Deck is an autoloss right no, unless you have a perfect draw into your three counterspells.

Those three are really random and you have to decide weather you like to add more or to remove them all.

Against aggressive decks you need to mulligan really hard. You cant keep a hand without untapped mana. So if you have a hand with like Glacial Fortress, Drowned Catacomb, Cavern and 2-3 charms/think twice you need to chip it, because you wont play a charm until turn 3, which is way too late. I would suggest to add more basics and cut those two Caverns or put them into sideboard, since you're a controldeck and you can mostly wait to play your businessspell (Obzedat) until you can counter back or your opponent tapped out.

Also 4x Azorious Charm and 4x Think Twice seems a bit too much. I would probably cut two Think Twices.

Against aggro this deck is very bad. I would put some Detention Spheres and for sure some Supreme Verdicts into the main. Its never bad against aggro and midrange and against control they will find their useness (is that a word - useness?) I would change like 1-2 Terminus for 2-3 Supreme Verdicts.

Last but not least: I dont like Gideon. Its not good against aggro (you would rather have a removal spell), its okay-ish against control, but will mostly stay a 4/4 and against midrange they need to have a slow start. If they go Loxodon Smiter turn 3 into Huntmaster turn 4 and you play a Gideon then it has no impact on the board and will just die. You cant protect him in the early/midgame state.

Obzedat is really good, but he needs a better deck. I would also cut one Snapcaster and add 1-2 Resto-Angels and - if you'd like to stay with the Unburial Rites plan - add some Angel of Serenity and more Forbidden Alchemy.

If I had to build this deck I think I would build it more like a hybrid with control/mass removal and focus on the reanimator plan.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1