Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 174 Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Canabiest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: CAC 174 Judged Reply with quote

ShamedShadow wrote:
Honden of Life's Cycle 4WB

Legendary Enchantment - Shrine [Rare]

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return a creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield for each Shrine you control. If you do, sacrifice a creature for each Shrine you control.

To the sorrow of all, its life was granted to those who would most miss those it took.

It fits the Honden cycle and ups the Ante with being rare and splashier effects. It is kind of a build around me card, that could easily be broken in the wrong format. But there is a real cost to it.
In deckbuilding you really need to look for the balance between Shrines and creatures, if you don't just want to use it as a source of recurring etb effects.
Flavorwise the name and text seem fitting too. Solid entry.
7/10

Stucco wrote:
Honden of Endless Blades..............................2WB
Legendary Enchantment.................................R

At the beginning of your upkeep, all Samurai creatures gain Bushido X until the beginning of your next upkeep where X is the number of shrines you control.

Only after looking inward can one master what they face outward.

And enemy colors again also a rare, not as impressive to me. Sure Bushido was in black and white (and also red) as were Samurai but I do not really see it as a cool blend of those two colors.
The templating is a bit off for a tribal effect by pumping opponents Samurais too.
The name is a tad bland, the flavortext is nice though.
Overall this comes a bit short of the mark.
4/10

Domine wrote:
Honden of Arcane Wisdom WUB

Legendary Enchanment - Shrine

At the beginning of your upkeep, for each shrine you control; reveal the top card of your library, and put it into your hand, you gain life equal to its converted mana cost.

To the sorrow of all, it drove mad those who once understood its more secret lessons.

Rare

Well this is a very powerful card, would probably make an impression on Legacy too. Three colors is a nice choice but I am not sure how exactly black comes in here but it seems fitting on the other hand.
The flavor text I like, referencing the original Hondens.
This works really well on it's own and in a dedicated Shrine deck it gets out of hand. The legendary clause is a good choice for deckbuilding, but will get annoying in mirrors.
A bit concerned about the powerlevel.
6/10

blitzer2k7 wrote:
Shrine of Frozen Fire 1UR

Enchantment - Rare

At the beginning of your upkeep or whenever you cast a blue or red spell, put a charge counter on Shrine of Frozen Fire.

1UR, Sacrifice Shrine of Frozen Fire: Tap up to X target permanents where X is the number of counters on Shrine of Frozen Fire. Shrine of Frozen Fire deals damage to each creature and each player equal to half the number of counters on Shrine of Frozen Fire rounded up.

So an enchantment version of the Phyrexian Shrines, that is a twist I can live with and I appreciate you taking out the tap activation for an enchantment. Good templating choice.
Scary card once it is on the board ready to wipe out armies and stop attacks. It hurting each player and creatures gives it a bit of a risk too and rewards reading the situation and playing around the card for both players.
The flavor is allright but nothing special, a Frozen Flame that can be used against opponents makes sense.
7/10

ck3gds wrote:
Shrine of Raging Life 2

Artifact (uncommon)

At the beginning of your upkeep or whenever you cast a red and green spell, put a charge counter on Shrine of Raging Life.

{T}, Sacrifice Shrine of Raging Life: For each charge counter on Shrine of Raging Life, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature, then that creature deals damage equal to its power to target player.

I like how it uses "red AND green" to scale the effect a little bit, still for an uncommon that is hell of a powerful card. Instant activation without a cost and the possibility to target the same creature multiple times. With only a few counters on that thing you can outright kill a player.
The flavor is so / so and the powerlevel to high for my taste and the rarity.
4/10

ed_slaying wrote:
Storm's Heart Territory - WG
Legendary Artifact (Rare)

Whenever a player lose life put a charge counter of Storm's Heart Territory.

2,{T}: Remove a charge counter from Storm's Heart Territory: Choose one - Target creature gets +2/+0 and has trample until end of turn; or destroy target artifact or enchantment.

Yeah no, not recognizeable as coming from a Shrine cycle or inspired by it when printed. Not following any naming or templating conventions too.
So out of contention for this CAC
0/10

thelemys wrote:
Art source: http://najtkriss.deviantart.com/

Quote:
Honden of Glittering Hope GW
Legendary Enchantment - Shrine (Unco)
At the beginning of your upkeep, target creature you control gains lifelink and +2/+2 for each Shrine you control.
The skirmish is over, we won it with ease: follow the leader, follow the light.

Sorry this card is better without boobs on art Rolling Eyes
Note: 702.14e Multiple instances of lifelink on the same object are redundant.

Again time to balance Shrines and creatures. It is nice on it's own and gets really got with another Shrine. Fits the identities of white and green well enough too. Would be a real problem to deal with for a red or black based aggro deck.
The flavor works well enough and the picture is a good choice now.
Not too special overall.
5,5/10

kendiggy wrote:
1GB
Honden of Perpetual Death - Rare
Legendary Enchantment - Shrine

At the beginning of your upkeep, each player sacrifices a non-land permanent for each shrine you control. When Honden of Perpetual Death is put into a graveyard from play, each player shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library.

The balance between life and death is a precarious one. To promote life, everyone must sacrifice their fair share.

This looks like the engine a Shrine deck could run on and the test would be breaking the symetry (Honden of Life's Web does that for example). The identity of both green and black can be felt in the mechanics and the flavor works with the card being a Shrine as well as it's mechanics.
Good job.
8/10

Balaviaris wrote:
Shrine of Living Death 2

Artifact - Uncommon

At the beginning of your upkeep or whenever you cast a black or green spell, put a charge counter on Shrine of Living Death.

5, tap, Sacrifice Shrine of Living Death: Return a creature card with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on Shrine of Living Death from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control.

Solid version of a two colored Phyrexian Shrine, the balancing seems to be right too. But I think it would work just as well with just being black. The green is not necessary and does not show too deeply in the design.
5/10

Omnom wrote:
Shrine of the Firemind 3

Artifact (Uncommon)

At the beginning of your upkeep or whenever you cast a blue or red spell, put a charge counter on Shrine of the Firemind.

{T}, Sacrifice Shrine of the Firemind: Copy target instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost X or less, where X is the number of charge counters on Shrine of the Firemind. You may choose new targets for the copy.

That is an Izzet Shrine allright and it goes right in the shared design space. The ability usually is seen on rares these days but limited as it is this still could fly. I find it interesting that it can copy a spell with the counter that spell added to the Shrine.
The problem is how inevitable it gets once you have gathered enough counters it can lead to some unfun games where the opponent has to sit on all his spells till you crack the Shrine.
5/10

doc_morriar wrote:
shrine of life and death RGBUW (all phyrexian mana)
legendary artifact: shrine

at the beginning of your upkeep each player sacrifces a creature for each shrine you control.

3 T pay 2 life: return target creature from a graveyard to play under your control with converted mana cost x or less, where x is the number of shrines you control.

So a merger of different Shrine types. It would be right at home in a multicolored deck with many Shrines. Sacrificing creatures again, I still like it. This is not the best version of that ability I see today.
You missed the rarity too.
Not a good name or flavor.
4/10

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Shrine of the Mortis Nim 1WB

Artifact - Shrine - Rare

During your upkeep or whenever you cast a black or white spell you may put a charge counter on Shrine of the Mortis Nim.

WB, Remove two charge counters from Shrine of the Mortis Nim: Each player gains 1 life and sacrifices a permanent.

To the Mortis Nim a stone given is worth a diamond taken.

Again a colored Artifact and giving the Shrine subtype, could get confusing with future Shrines that get printed without that type. Still helps Honden decks.
The may trigger makes it less annoying in upkeeps possibly but changes the tamplating of the original Phyrexian Shrines.
Again Permanents are getting sacrificed, again I have seen it better.
5/10

Bairdsy wrote:
Image source: http://venomousblaze.deviantart.com/art/Hakurei-Shrine-303663047

Note: I did check the comp rules that enchantment tokens were possible before posting. They are, they just have never been done directly before, although cards like Followed Footsteps or Kiki Jiki could technically create them by copying animated enchantments.

The name is allright and the picture works but is not a perfect fit.
I like the token effect, even if it really gets out of hand fast.
The templating for the casting cost reduction is not done right. The wording would be "costs less to cast". It is not really necessary to have the ability at all too.
6/10

iSperia wrote:
Let suppose some shrines:

Shrine of brutal struggle (BRG)
Enchantment - Shrine (Rare)
Whenever a non-token creature you control dies, put 1/1 black, red and green Plant creature onto the battlefield.
Even if you are devoured here, new life starts

Shrine of Primal Hunt (RGW)
Power of creatures you control equals to five.
In this place, every squirell may feel behemoth's power

Shrine of Infinite Unburial (UBR)
Creature cards you control can't be exiled.
Corpses never disappear in this place

Shrine of Holy Brotherhood (GWU)
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, this creature gets +X/+Y until the end of turn, where X is total power and Y is total toughness of all other creatures you control
Here you may feel support of all brothers who beg for you

Shrine of Etherium (WUB)
Whenever artifact enters the battlefiled under you control, draw a card
Sources of etherium here are totally unlimited for making new mechanisms

So I have to judge 5 cards? Well enough...
They are Shrines in type and the mechanics fit the Shards too. Still not really a continuation or expansion of one of the cycles.
3/10

Ynzo wrote:

No source for the image and no text beneath the picture, a first negative impression.
The picture is a bit modern I think, not sure what the name has to do with the cards functionality.
The templating is a little off too.
It seems to work better in a deck with not many Shrines in it and many creatures instead. It however is a nice starting point for a Shrine curve that has functionality from just being a Shrine and doing something later. So the all or nothing effect works.
5/10

sc4rs wrote:
Mindwrack Shrine
Artifact - Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep or whenever you cast a blue or black spell, put a charge counter on Mindwrack Shrine.
2UB, T, Sacrifice Mindwrack Shrine: Exile the top X cards of target player's library, where X is the number of charge counters on Mindwrack Shrine. That player reveals his or her hand and exiles any cards with the same name as a card exiled in this way.

A win condition Shrine you can take your time with until you activate it. The mana cost is prohibitive but it can cripple an opponent with a good activation. A control card for sure.
Seems to be on the right level for me.
6/10

pseudodespot wrote:
Shrine of Gruesome Revenge 2

Artifact - Uncommon

At the beginning of your upkeep or whenever an opponent casts a non-red spell, put a charge counter on ~.

3, T, Sacrifice ~: ~ deals damage equal to the number of charge counters on it to target creature or player.

Triggers potentially more often, but not necessarily when you want it to.

Interesting trigger, not expanding the cycle into two colors though. Still a new direction and a fitting name with the way it recharges.
4/10

quote="caesarthehun"]Nantuko Shrine Renewed 2WG
Rare
Enchantment

Whenever a player casts a spell, that player puts X 1/1 green and white Elder Squirrel creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the amount of green mana spent to cast that spell.

Whenever a player casts a spell, that player gains X life, where X is the amount of white mana spent to cast that spell.

"Kamahl's quickening awoke life, the old and the new."
-Zyd, Kamahlite sorcerer

[/quote]
Elder Squirrel is a bit over the top and the name is all but gold. So a bit of point reduction for flavor.
Still it is a good addition and variation of the Odyssey cycle, it can benefit both players in a way and uses mana in an interesing way.
7/10

Gademis wrote:
Honden of Balanced Rage RW1

Enchantment - Shrine (R)

At the beginning of your upkeep put a red 3/1 haste spirit token into play for each Shrine you control.

At the beginning of your oponent's upkeep put a white 1/3 lifelink spirit token into play for each Shrine you control.

At each end step exile all spirit tokens you control.

Rare is the right choice for this indeed. The templating of the tokens abilities are not perfect, you would need to add a "with" and put the ability after "token".
It works with both colors and using opponents upkeeps really is a new twist.
It not being legendary could be a problem. Very good in multiples, not necessarily fitting the Honden cycle too.
5/10

ikazuchi wrote:
Honden of Essence Rot 2BG
Legendary Enchantment — Shrine (Mythic)

At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy target non-Shrine permanent for each Shrine you control. For each permanent put into a graveyard this way, its controller draws a card.

Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn
—Golgari saying

NOTE:

I made this card for Dragon's Maze where each guild would get one Mythic shrine.

Honden might be the wrong name for Ravnica but the rest of the flavor works out.
Powerful Shrine indeed but in a context where they only show up at Mythtic that might be cool. Repeated removal from turn four onwards is something. Keeping down lands could be brutal, even if cards are drawn.
5/10

So the winner is Kendiggy with his Honden of Perpetual Death.
Thanks everyone for playing and do not think a 5 out of 10 is bad or anything. I judged by a scale and not by the curve of the cards send in.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with voting and the winner! Thanks... Go Kendiggy you are up
StarWolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have scored ShamedShadow's entry higher, just because it seems so fun to play with (although I can see why someone might be hesitant to give a higher score to a card that makes thragtusk even more ridiculous!)
Thelemys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for judging. Go next!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1