Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bant Control.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Bant Control. Reply with quote

This is basically a control deck that plays very well against other control decks, all the mid ranged decks of the format. It has a good match up against the aggro decks of the format if it draws the right cards to slow the opponent down, if you survive to turn 6 you will probably win. Here is the list so far and I am pretty happy with it.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
1 [RTR] Forest (4)
4 [M13] Glacial Fortress
4 [M13] Sunpetal Grove
4 [RTR] Temple Garden
1 [RTR] Plains (5)
1 [RTR] Island (1)
2 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
4 [RTR] Hallowed Fountain
1 [AVR] Alchemist's Refuge
4 [ISD] Hinterland Harbor

// Creatures
3 [M13] Thragtusk
1 [DKA] Drogskol Reaver

// Spells
3 [M13] Garruk, Primal Hunter
4 [AVR] Terminus
3 [RTR] Jace, Architect of Thought
4 [RTR] Supreme Verdict
4 [M13] Farseek
4 [RTR] Azorius Charm
4 [RTR] Detention Sphere
3 [RTR] Sphinx's Revelation
1 [M13] Elixir of Immortality

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
SB: 1 [AVR] Alchemist's Refuge
SB: 1 [RTR] Sphinx's Revelation
SB: 1 [M13] Elixir of Immortality
SB: 1 [DKA] Curse of Echoes
SB: 3 [RTR] Rest in Peace
SB: 2 [RTR] Syncopate
SB: 2 [M13] Negate
SB: 3 [ISD] Feeling of Dread

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
SB: 2 [M13] Silklash Spider
SB: 1 [DKA] Curse of Echoes
SB: 3 [RTR] Rest in Peace
SB: 1 [M13] Sands of Delirium
SB: 2 [RTR] Syncopate
SB: 2 [M13] Negate
SB: 3 [ISD] Feeling of Dread

Card Discussion:

2 ghost quarters: There are some pretty dangerous lands in the format and they are especially dangerous against you since your trying to keep an empty board. One unexpected consequence is that there are quite a few decks out there that are not even running any basics in particular other control decks that are built for the mirror. In those cases these get upgraded to strip mines which gives you a HUGE advantage in the attrition war.

3 thragtusk: Plays well with the wraths, garruk, and reaver. On top of that it keeps you alive against control. Also kinda one of the best cards in the format.

1 reaver: my bomb, if it sticks it's very hard to beat. The combination of card advantage and life gain makes him take over the game in nearly every matchup. The one thing that disappoints me about this card is that it is fragile but with how little removal there is being played these days I'm not that disappointed.

3 garruk: big garruk is the real win condition of the deck. He is good everywhere! The size of the tokens is huge in this format and after you land this planeswalker, you keep generating threats without investing anything. On top of that, he provides soooooo much card advantage not just from the constant stream of tokens but also from raw card advantage which is important to help you dig for your bombs/wraths/answers. Garruk is incredible.

3 Jace: Generates incremental card advantage. Honestly I'm not nearly as impressed with him as everyone else. He just does not generate card advantage fast enough for me, his ultimate isn't worth skipping out on the card advantage and doing nothing but plussing him. I could use the other jace but its too slow, I could use tamiyo, but she will be less reliable for card advantage since there won't be that many creatures around in the first place. So yeah, jace just fills the card advantage role, but I would much prefer little jace if I had him.

3 sphixes revelations: a little on the slow side, but its always good. it is an incredible card late game but that is hardly news these days.

4 supreme verdicts/4 terminus: The wraths, these keep the board clear and keep you alive. These are my chosen method of removal and works incredibly well when combines with alchemist refuge.

4 detention spheres: just versitile removal. Its not as effective at dealing with masses of creatures but it hits planswalkers and acts like wraths against tokens, and it comes down a turn earlier to stem the bleading against aggro decks.

4 azorius charm: pulls double duty. a) it helps you survive the early onslaught of aggro decks and b) cycles away when you have stabilized. Also I am a huge fan of putting things on top of my opponents library, a lot of the time it is identically time walk against my opponents. This doesn't come up very often come up but giving your guys lifelink with a reaver out can generate more card advantage and gain you life at the same time.

4 farseek: ramps you to your big spells, there are lots of cards in the deck with converted mana cost of 4 or more so making that jump is huge. Also this deck benefits greatly from having an absurd amount of lands in play so even late farseeks are still good.

1 elixir of immortality: helps you recylce all the cards you have used, and gains you a considerable amount of life in the process. This helps you win the attrition war and keeps you from decking yourself with your massive sphixes revelations, garruk activations, and jace. Also milling is a common tactic for other control decks so this card gives you a big of a leg up when you land it.

SB:

1 ghost quarters: up your strip mine count against decks without bassics, in particular 5 or 4 color control/reanimator/combo decks.

1 alchemist's refuge: these are very powerful against opposing control decks, or the midranged decks with their haste creatures

1 elixer of immortality: bring it in against pure control decks that can only win by milling you. This increases your chances of drawing one and less likely that it will just get milled away.

1 sphinx's revelation: again for control to up your sphinx's revelation count

1 curse of echos: probably not the first person to think of this card as an anti control/tokens/combo card, but this one is a beast in the mirror. I don't think I've played a game where I thought it was good enough to bring in and my opponent did not concede the moment I played it.

3 rest in peace: for those graveyard stratagies be sure to take out elixer though (well technically you don't have to, you could just leave it in and once you deck yourself just keep putting it back into your deck and casting it, gaining 5 life a turn).

2 syncopates/2 negates: give yourself some countermagic against control and combo decks.

3 feeling of dread: this is to help win the rakdos aggro matchup. For 2 mana you can keep their guys from killing you before you get to a wrath.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be improving as a deck builder all the time. Technically that's to say in terms of execution this deck looks very good to me.

However try not to let being more schooled as a deckbuilder stifle your creative side, what I always liked about your earlier lists was you were not afraid to try something new but had a good balance between creative and sensible (if that is the right word). From a creative stand point this list is a little dry, though the reaver maybe a sound option now the a billion amazing 6 drops have gone and removal has gone as down hill as the economy.

I think you could do with a few more 3 drops but the only real card i can offer in your colours is centaur healer. Or maybe some oblivion rings would not go a miss, probably for the jace's if your not happy with them as the deck is stacked with card advantage as it is.Smile
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
You seem to be improving as a deck builder all the time. Technically that's to say in terms of execution this deck looks very good to me.

However try not to let being more schooled as a deckbuilder stifle your creative side, what I always liked about your earlier lists was you were not afraid to try something new but had a good balance between creative and sensible (if that is the right word). From a creative stand point this list is a little dry, though the reaver maybe a sound option now the a billion amazing 6 drops have gone and removal has gone as down hill as the economy.

I think you could do with a few more 3 drops but the only real card i can offer in your colours is centaur healer. Or maybe some oblivion rings would not go a miss, probably for the jace's if your not happy with them as the deck is stacked with card advantage as it is.Smile

Thanks for your impute green bear! Its great to hear that my deck ideas actually spark some interest around here. What was really cool was when one of my ideas was either talked about on "top decks" Mike Flores's article or won an scg open (can't remember, it was sometime in the 2010-2011 season though).

Anyways yeah I have to agree this isn't one of my most innovative decks that I have made lol. One thing that I will admit is that I have a soft spot for playing control decks, I just like being able to have control of the game. With that in mind this deck actually started with a spicy deck that used misthallow griffin and rest in piece/moreland haunt but that was just too little bang for your buck and paled in comparison to the other threats of the format (thundermaw helkites would laugh at me and make me feel pretty small). So I just worked it and reworked it until I came up with this list which is VERY good.

As for your suggestion about centaur healer, I have been thinking of maybe putting them in but not over jace. The reason for that is that even though jace is not as great as I would like him to be, he is still good in a lot of match ups. Against beatdown decks he can stem the bleeding a lot and against control decks you need him to win the card advantage war. The reason why I didn't like him is that he doesn't completely take over the game in a control mirror like the other jaces before him did but there really isn't anything like the previous jaces in the format right now so I have to make due with what I have. I wouldn't mind putting healers into my sb though for aggro decks but right now I'm testing out feeling of dread in that slot. I think the two turn fog might be better at fighting helkites and aristocrats as well as the one two punch of 3 one drops on turn 2 but then healer is. Besides healers get swept up in wraths and there is already a ton of life gain between reaver, thragtusk, revelation, elixir, and on occassion charm.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1