Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RtR Rant

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: RtR Rant Reply with quote

Like most other MTG heads, I have been keeping a keen eye on the Return to Ravnica spoiler over at salvation.

But let me rewind for a second, back to the point in time whence I first heard they were making a set based once again in Ravnica; it was a dreary rainy day, work was moving along at a sloth's amble and the sassy new secretary was wearing her fine red suit; decreasing the overall productivity of the entire office by a significant margin. Between creating lectures, reading the BBC news and loathing the idea of beating my students into learning the importance of rhetoric in formal settings, I read that the good folk at Wizards would be creating Return to Ravnica. My initial thoughts were "@#$^ing Sellouts, Mirrordin and then this!"

However, like many another powerless lackey I submitted to the notion and eagerly awaited what I hoped would at least match the original Ravnica set (one of the top 5 sets ever printed) in daring and scope.

Come to the present; I see most of the first of the three new Ravnica sets is 266/278 cards spoiled. What do we have?

I will tell you; it is a shady underhanded piece of trite ticking all the format and economically correct boxes but sadly without a single trace of the genius that characterized the original Ravnica. The mechanics are stale, the archetypes cemented in place and there is barely an original thought to be submitted to the entire canon of MTG cards. What irks me most is the lack of daring in the entire set, it is a cookie cutter collection I tell you; an exercise in a 'coloring in' book!

Hear my bitter scorn and resentment, the scale of disappointment is immeasurable and my reluctance to continue playing incalculable.

With that said...

I'll see you at a Return to Ravnica sealed event soon.
magicman85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time they release a new set someone always complains.
BIRDYYY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: RtR Rant Reply with quote

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Like most other MTG heads, I have been keeping a keen eye on the Return to Ravnica spoiler over at salvation.

But let me rewind for a second, back to the point in time whence I first heard they were making a set based once again in Ravnica; it was a dreary rainy day, work was moving along at a sloth's amble and the sassy new secretary was wearing her fine red suit; decreasing the overall productivity of the entire office by a significant margin. Between creating lectures, reading the BBC news and loathing the idea of beating my students into learning the importance of rhetoric in formal settings, I read that the good folk at Wizards would be creating Return to Ravnica. My initial thoughts were "@#$^ing Sellouts, Mirrordin and then this!"

However, like many another powerless lackey I submitted to the notion and eagerly awaited what I hoped would at least match the original Ravnica set (one of the top 5 sets ever printed) in daring and scope.

Come to the present; I see most of the first of the three new Ravnica sets is 266/278 cards spoiled. What do we have?

I will tell you; it is a shady underhanded piece of trite ticking all the format and economically correct boxes but sadly without a single trace of the genius that characterized the original Ravnica. The mechanics are stale, the archetypes cemented in place and there is barely an original thought to be submitted to the entire canon of MTG cards. What irks me most is the lack of daring in the entire set, it is a cookie cutter collection I tell you; an exercise in a 'coloring in' book!

Hear my bitter scorn and resentment, the scale of disappointment is immeasurable and my reluctance to continue playing incalculable.

With that said...

I'll see you at a Return to Ravnica sealed event soon.

I remember my first time, Making an opinion about a new magic set Smile.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RtR is broken.
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niv magus!

rakdos cackler will fit into b/r decks nicely
pg8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Weebles wrote:
Original Ravnica - Haunt, Replicate, Bloodthirst, Convoke, Hellbent, Transmute, Graft, Dredge, Radiance, Forecast

Still relevant - Bloodthirst, Transmute, Dredge

New Ravnica - Overload, Scavenge, Detain, Unleash, Populate

That being said, we have seen 5/10 from the new Ravnica. Odds are we will only have 2 or 3 long-term relevant mechanics to takeaway again. So maybe those 2 or 3 are in the next set?

Old Ravnica just had Transmute, Radiance, Dredge, and Convoke. The others came later in the block.
pg8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Weebles wrote:
Ravnica is the name of the block. Ravnica: City of Guilds is the name of the set.

So why are you comparing a single set to an entire block?
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mtg, has been very tautological for a long time, it can not really come as a surprise when the game has been around for so long.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1