Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 140 - judging.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
StarWolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: CaC 140 - judging. Reply with quote

I'll go through them in the order they were posted:

sc4rs wrote:
Fertile Field
Land (Day) - Rare
T: Add 1 to your mana pool. Transform Fertile Field.
From each seed, a promise of plenty.
From each fruit, a seed to sow.

I'd say this card is balanced and would probably see play if it existed, although it would be annoying to constantly transform it every turn. The balancing mechanism (having it produce colorless mana every other turn) is fair but a little on the boring side. I like simple cards so I'll give this an A-.

GunsAndDope wrote:
Jin, Student of Warfare | W
Legendary Creature - Human Samurai (Mythic Rare)

First Strike
Bushido 1

When Jin, Student of Warfare deals combat damage to a creature or player, put a quest counter on Jin, Student of Warfare. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Jin, Student of Warfare has 3 or more quest counters, transform Jin, Student of Warfare.

1/1

-----------------------------------------------

Jin, Hero of Planes | (White)
Planeswalker - Jin

All counters on this permanent are loyalty counters.

+1: Put a 1/1 white samurai token into play with Bushido 1
+1: Tap target creature.
-3: Creatures you control get Bushido 2 until your next upkeep.

This card is balanced enough, but flavor-wise I'm just not getting it - a little 1/1 that turns into a planeswalker after a fairly simple task (doing damage 3 times)? Planeswalkers are supposed to be immensely powerful (not in game, but in the lore). Speaking of which, the "ultimate" ability of this planeswalker is very underwhelming. B-

JacobMatthew wrote:
Volrath, Blighted - 2BB - Mythic Rare
Planeswalker - Volrath
Loyalty: {3}
{+1}: Put a -1/-1 counter on up to one target creature.
{-2}: Creatures you control gain fear until end of turn.
{-X}: Return target creature card with converted mana cost X or less from any graveyard to the battlefield under your control tapped.

Whenever Volrath, Blighted is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may sacrifice two creatures. If you do, return it to the battlefield under your control and transform it.
////////////////////
Volrath, Risen
Legendary Creature
Fear, Deathtouch
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose two life.
Pay X life: Return target creature card with converted mana cost X or less from any graveyard to the battlefield under your control tapped. Play this ability as a sorcery.
3/3

In the lore I don't think Volrath was ever a planeswalker, but whatever, let's pretend he was and just talk about the card qua card. -2 loyalty counters to give your creatures fear is a little overcosted - for reference, Venser's -1 ability makes all your creatures unblockable, which is strictly better unless you have a Taunting Elf with deathtouch or something.

-X to zombify something with converted mana cost at most X is fair, but then most of the time you'll be starting off with that ability just so you can transform it right away. The transformed side is too good in my opinion, and seems like it could be easily abused (with titans, thragtusk, griselbrand, etc.). Overall the card seems like it would be fun to play with but it has balance issues, is generally clunky, and the flavor is very hard to discern (why does a planeswalker get "down-graded" into a creature??). I give it a B-.

Bairdsy wrote:

The effects are fine, but I'd like if both sides were sorceries or instants. Just to be safe make them both sorceries. The effects match the names and are balanced (tired is a little worse than Sleep, which is fine for a dual card, and sick at sorcery speed would be the same as Shrivel, which is also fine), although "Sick and Tired" is already a card, so that's a little awkward (I know technically the names aren't the same, but still). The images are a little silly, but I guess that part was optional. This card gets a B+ from me.

InWaking wrote:
Possession 1BR
Enchantment - Aura (Mythic Rare)
Enchant Creature
You control enchanted creature. Enchanted creature has haste.
If possession is removed from a creature sacrifice that creature.
At the beginning of your end step if Possession is enchanting a creature sacrifice that creature and flip Possession.
"Bakura cares not whom it takes, it just wants to be alive so it can taste pain again"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bakura, Demon of Pain
Legendary Creature - Demon (Black/Red)
Flying
At the beginning of each upkeep and end step you lose 2 life.
If Bakura, Demon of Pain would be put into a graveyard from the battlefield instead flip it and attach it to a creature.
"All hope is lost, pain and anguish are all that remain in the reign of Bakura"
7/3

Okay, this card is basically Slave of Bolas with an extra benefit of being able to turn the creature into a 7/3 flyer for 2 mana less than the aforementioned card. Not to mention when the 7/3 dies, you get to take control of another creature and start this all over again! This card is obviously too powerful and I'm not really crazy about it flavor-wise. D.

Stucco wrote:
Split Card:

Mens Sana...............1U
Instant....................U

You and target opponent each draw two cards.

Sound of mind.

//////////////////

Corpore Sano...............1G
Instant........................U

Two target creatures each get +2/+2 until the end of turn.

Sound of body.

Balance is fine, the card names are a little pretentious and would probably never be seen on a real magic card, and the effects aren't that exciting. B.

pseudodespot wrote:
Left 3WW

Instant

Exile target nonwhite creature.

////

Right 1UU

Instant

Counter target nonblue spell.

I don't understand the flavor of this card, though I'm not sure if there is anything to understand. I think both effects are appropriately costed and this would be a great limited card, though it's somewhat boring. B+.

thelemys wrote:
Doublefaced card:

Quote:
Queen of Dreams (1)U
Creature - Illusion Rare
(1)U: Switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may transform Queen of Dreams.
Youknow far more of a person when you see through his musing.
1/1

King of Nightmares
(black symbol)Creature - Illusion Rare
(1)B: Switch King of Nightmares power and toughness until end of turn.
among dreams, he's hunting in his armor of darkness. He's not a mystery but a monstrosity.
1/5

There's a few grammar/punctuation problems that I won't dwell on. I don't understand how the card effects are at all connected to the names. The power level of this card is fine I guess, but I'm still just not thrilled about it. B-.

Ssilhouette wrote:
Transform card

Broodmother of Yrsak 5GG
Creature - Spider (Rare)

Reach
2GG, T: Put two 1/2 green Spider creature tokens with reach onto the battlefield under your control.
At the beginning of your upkeep you may transform ~.

4/7

////////

Nightmare of Yrsak
Legendary Creature - Spider

Reach, Devour 2

7/4

When the nest was set on fire, everybody became scared when no spider left it; except a giant thousand-eyed monstrosity.

Transforming a creature is not the same as having it enter the battlefield, so the second half of this card doesn't really work. Also, this card is just too "big" for me. C+ (B or B- if the devour ability actually worked).

LuckyDucky wrote:
This would be a split card.

Stop - W // Go - R
Sorcery - Common // Sorcery - Common
Creatures can't attack during your opponent's next turn. // Creatures you control gain haste until the end of your turn.

It's sort of like Festival and Surge of Zeal combined into one crappy card. I don't mean that the design is bad, just the card is. Two reasonably costed effects on a somewhat boring card with decent flavor gets an A-.

kumagmd wrote:
Bear
2G
Instant - Uncommon
Put a 2/2 green bear token onto the battlefield.

//

Necessities
2G
Instant - Uncommon
Search your library for up to two basic lands, reveal them, and put one into your hand and one onto the battlefield tapped. Reshuffle your library afterwards.

(This is dedicated to Flippi)

The second half is a bit undercosted considering it's cultivate at instant speed (and I believe cultivate saw play, not sure), while the first half is a bit over-costed. Make the second half 1GG or 3G while the first half is 1G and it would be fine. I'd make a comment about how "Bear" is a silly card name, but I won last week with "Alligator", so I won't be judgmental. B+ (I like the idea but the costs were off).

Duodax wrote:
Blatant Approach R // Subtil Seduction 1B

Common

Instant // Instant

Target creature you control gets +1/+0 and haste until end of turn. //

Destroy target creature with toughness 2 or less.

It's spelled "subtle" (unless subtil is just a word I've never heard of). I'd like if the first effect had something like "and attacks this turn if able" (just to fit the flavor more). I like the second half quite a bit, aside from the misspelling. B+

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Split Card - Rare

Blood RR

Instant

Blood deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is equal to the number of creatures on the battlefield.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guts BBB

Instant

Target creature deals X damage to itself and to its controller, where X is equal to its power. You gain X life.

In a just world I'd like to think you'd be able to play both halves of a split card without having to run a million fetchlands/dual lands. I'm not crazy about the flavor for "Blood" but I like the effect and think it would be awesome in limited. Similarly I don't understand the flavor for Guts, and think it should be costed differently (like 2BB to make it more accessible to non-mono black players), but I like its effect. B.

ShamedShadow wrote:
Automatic Robot - 3RU

Artifact Creature - Golem [Rare]

Haste, trample

~ attacks each turn if able.

At the beginning of your end step, untap and transform ~.

"Roll out!"

4/4

///////////

Disguised Protector

|Red and Blue Color Indicator| Artifact Creature - Golem [Rare]

Shroud

At the beginning of your upkeep, transform ~.

0/7

I'm not sure why this card is blue apart from giving it shroud after it transforms, and even then, shroud has been given to creatures of every colour. Technically this doesn't have to have transform, since it could just as easily say, "Vigilance, Automatic Robot gets -4/+3 and shroud on your opponent's turn", but I understand the flavour you're going for. I like the card probably more than I should given the design problems and the awkward name (do we have robots in the magic universe?). It gets a B from me.

Domine wrote:
A Priori 2UU

Instant

Search your library for two blue cards, reveal them, shuffle your library and put those cards on top of it.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A Posteriori U

Instant

Return target card that was casted this turn from your graveyard to your hand.

Uncommon

Yay, more pretentious latin. Just a technical note, I think the end of A Priori should specify that the cards go back "in any order", and A Posteriori should specify "target card that you casted this turn", since your opponent can cast spells but they won't go to your graveyard. I sort of understand the flavour and I like the effect of the second half. The first half is probably okay. B+

Jacois wrote:

I'm surprised at this submission because I thought it would be better. The first half has two abilities that go against each other - giving all your creatures +1/+1 and exalted is weird because that just incentivizes you to attack with every creature (say you have 4 1/1's each with +1/+1 and exalted, attacking with everything at once yields 8 possible damage, whereas attacking with one creature yields only 6 damage). I think Pride is fine but it seems like you really want it to be an enchantment and knew that split cards couldn't be part enchantment. The names certainly match the flavor, though the images are a little silly even for me. B.

KnowN wrote:
Ravenous Demon - 3BB
Creature - demon (mythic)

When ravenous Devil enters the battlefield or is turned face up, Target opponent discards 2 cards.
Whenever ravenous devil deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card. At the beginning of each end step if an opponent has no cards in hand, you may flip ravenous devil.
Morph 1BB
3/3
--------------------------------
Hellbent demon - black
Creature - demon
Flying
Whenever hellbent demon deal combat damage to a player, that player discards 3 cards and loses 3 life.
4/4

Three things are awkward about this card. Firstly, the name Ravenous Demon is already taken. I think you meant Ravenous Devil but forgot to change the name. Secondly, if the creature is supposed to be a Devil, why does it turn to a Demon? Thirdly, it just has too many abilities. I like simple cards. This is not simple. C-.

Balaviaris wrote:
Alpha 2WWW

Sorcery

Each player returns all creature cards from their graveyard onto the battlefield.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Omega 2BBB

Sorcery

Destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.

Okay, I like the names. The Omega half certainly fits its ability, Alpha is a bit more of a stretch, but I can live with it. As someone else pointed out, you should probably have reversed the colours (although a black card named "Alpha" just seems unusual). My suggestion would be to make both cards black and white, and make the mana costs less awkward so that both sides are likely to be playable in the same deck. I grade this card somewhere between a B and a B+.

CMA-Flippi wrote:
Call of the Wood 1G
Sorcery
Put a green 2/2 Bear token named "Grizzly Bear" onto the battlefield.
//Other Splithalf
Call of the Ice 1G
Sorcery
Put a white 2/2 Bear token named "Polar Bear" onto the battlefield.

Okay so apparently there's this running joke that Flippi likes bears. What he likes doing with bears, I haven't asked. Obviously the two sides of this split card aren't distinct enough from each other for me to give this a good grade, so it gets a solid D+ (yes I get the joke, I'm just grading it badly to be a curmudgeon).

blitzer2k7 wrote:
Front 1W

Instant - common

Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Back 1U

Instant - common

Tap up to three target creatures.

(Note: this is a split card "Front and Back")

I don't really get the flavour, and neither effect is interesting. B-.

ck3gds wrote:
Submitting a split card for this CaC Smile

Divide 3B

Sorcery (rare)

Target player sacrifices half the number of creatures he or she controls, rounded up.

///

Conquer 3R

Sorcery (rare)

Gain control of target land and untap it. When you tap that land for mana, sacrifice it.

Conquer is already a card name. Divide seems a little too good compared to Do or Die, or Barter in Blood, but I'm not sure. The design is fine apart from that - the effects are clever and they match the card names. The card also just seems fun to use. B+.

Omnom wrote:
Tainted Spawn BB

Creature - Demon Spawn

Deathtouch

Whenever a player discards a card, sacrifices a creature, or sacrifices a land, transform Tainted Spawn

2/1

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Plague Demon (Black color indicator)

Creature - Demon

Flying, Deathtouch

(Tap): Each player discards a card
(Tap): Each player sacrifices a creature
(Tap): Each player sacrifices a land

4/4

It seems like this would be way too good in modern and legacy with fetchlands as you could have a badass 4/4 flyer attacking/tapping on the second or third turn, and possibly causing other disruption (like land destruction). The names are kind of boring too, although the effects aren't. C+ because of the aforementioned problems.

megajenius wrote:
This is a split card!

W
Man
Instant - Uncommon
Put a 1/1 white Human token onto the battlefield.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
2BR
Flu
Sorcery - Uncommon
Creatures your opponents control get -1/-1 and can't block until the end of turn.

Typically, names of split cards are things that are opposites, or go together. Do Man and Flu go together? Are they opposites? Is there a phrase I haven't heard before (like "man and flu" or something) that would elucidate this for me? The effects of both sides are boring, and Flu is way overcosted. C.

ikazuchi wrote:
Split card:

Lost
B
Sorcery (Uncommon)

Name a permanent card. Target player reveals his or her hand. That player discards a card with that name.

I just can't remember where I put it.

---------------------------

Found
UG
Sorcery (Uncommon)

Name a permanent card. Reveal the top seven cards of your library and put one with that name into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

There it is!

Lost allows you to name basic lands, which seems unfair. I know you have to name the card correctly but there are tons of ways of doing that. The flavor fits though, same with found. Found may actually be overcosted since you're only tutoring through the top 7 cards of your library. I'll give this card a B-.

moscowdemon wrote:
Progress//Congress

Progress 1GG
Sorcery Uncommon
Search your library for a Plains, Island, Swamp or Mountain card and put it onto the battlefield tapped and shuffle your library. Then reveal the top card of your library. If it is a creature card, draw a card.

Congress 1UU
Sorcery Uncommon
Put three 1/1 white Human creature tokens onto the battlefield with "Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it." Then if you control more creatures than an opponent, draw a card.

Flavor text on Progress - What's the opposite of progress?
Flavor text on Congress - Congress!

There's too much going on in progress and I'm just not a fan of the card. The flavor is fine though. Congress is okay flavor-wise but is awkward since you're making white Humans with a blue card, plus it has that unnecessary card drawing effect at the end. I want to like this card but I don't. C+/B-

judas_bcn wrote:
Golgari Avenger.......BG
creature - elf shaman ...........rare

Discard a card: Target creature gets +1+1 until end of turn and becomes the color of your choice.

At the beginning of the end step, if you discarded 3 or more creature cards this turn transform ~.

2/2

Our common well is beyond individuals.

Second Service
(Second Service is B and G)

enchantment

At the beginning of your upkeep, return up to one target creature from your graveyard to play under your control.

Those who fight on behalf of nature shall never be stopped.

So it's a wild mongrel that transforms into debtors' knell (sorta)? This just seems insanely good in madness decks especially with the transformed half. I get that you won't often be discarding three creatures in one turn, but for 2 mana the possibility of getting the effect from Second Service is a little broken. It gets a B-.

Mr_Weebles wrote:
Tranform Card

Unknown Creature - 3
Creature (Rare)

2WW: Transform Unknown Creature

2/2

//////////////////////////////////

Generic Angel
Creature - Angel

Flying
Whenever Generic Angel deals damage, you gain that much life.

4/5

I get it, it's Exalted Angel except you can't cast it for it's normal cost. I find the card amusing but since it's blatantly unoriginal I can't give it a good grade, as much as I like exalted angel. C.

The best cards were Fertile Field//Majestic Orchard, Stop//Go, and Sick//Tired. I admit I wasn't that impressed with the submissions, but it's probably my fault for not picking a good theme. Sorry if I was over-critical, I tend to prefer simpler cards (and I think that showed). sc4rs's card was my favorite, but he won a recent CaC, so I'll give the win to LuckyDucky. Grats!
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay thanks!

I figured my card was designed correctly so to speak but that it wasn't a good card. It's still better than chimney imp!

Mr. Green
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My card is a pun.

The creature left the battlefield and you will enforce the law by doing things right. Ironically those two words look rather well placed on a split card.

But I agree, it's effects are very boring.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My English skills are an issue Wink
Its always the same with french People.
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pride gives +1/+1 and exalted to all creatures to give it more flexibility depending on your opponents board.

If you have 4 non flyers and 1 flyer, you'd just attack with the flyer if your opponent couldn't block it, aka, exalted is better than the +1/+1.

If you had 5 non flyers and your opponent had 1 big blocker, you'd be better off attacking with everything.

I thought having +1/+1 and exalted together was clever and, excuse my ego, pretty fucking genius. I suppose I should have had 1 side give +1/+1 and the other side of the card give exalted, then I could have called it something lame like, "All for One", and, "One for All". Har dee fucking har, 3 musketeers.
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CaC 140 - judging. Reply with quote

StarWolf wrote:
ShamedShadow wrote:
Automatic Robot - 3RU

Haste, trample

"Roll out!"

4/4

///////////

Disguised Protector

Shroud

0/7

I'm not sure why this card is blue apart from giving it shroud after it transforms, and even then, shroud has been given to creatures of every colour. Technically this doesn't have to have transform, since it could just as easily say, "Vigilance, Automatic Robot gets -4/+3 and shroud on your opponent's turn", but I understand the flavour you're going for. I like the card probably more than I should given the design problems and the awkward name (do we have robots in the magic universe?). It gets a B from me.

It's Red and Blue because Optimus Prime is red and blue. Razz
StarWolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CaC 140 - judging. Reply with quote

ShamedShadow wrote:
StarWolf wrote:
ShamedShadow wrote:
Automatic Robot - 3RU

Haste, trample

"Roll out!"

4/4

///////////

Disguised Protector

Shroud

0/7

It's Red and Blue because Optimus Prime is red and blue. Razz

Oh, I should have noticed that.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it. I do agree that flipping it every turn could be hard, especially in cases, but that's already almost the case with Civilized Scholar, so I thought it wasn't that big of a deal, and an "every other turn" effect like that would be very hard to do otherwise.
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for my submission I dont see how mine could be any simpler. Front is for your creatures on the front lines trying to break through for damage or to beef them up on defense. And Back is to keep your opponents creatures at bey. Granted they are both functional reprints mashed together into a split card (Glorious Charge and Downpour). Also, this is designed to printed at common so the effects shouldnt be all that strong in first place.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1