Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U/W Ally after Worldwake

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
imtheguido

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: U/W Ally after Worldwake Reply with quote

Alright, so here is the list I have come up with so far.

4xHada Freeblade
4xKazandu Blademaster
4xTalus Paladin
4xUmara Raptor
4xHalimar Excavator
4xJwari Shapeshifter

4xJoin the Ranks
4xJourney to Nowhere
4xPonder

4xGlacial Fortress
4xMisty Rainforest
4xMarsh Flats
5xIsland
7xPlains

Very rough decklist to start, but lets see what we can pull together here to make this better. I'm proxying it up right now to see how Plays in Solitare.

Edit: I can already see it needs some sort of removal or control. The weakest card that I can think of is the mill Ally. Though he gets pretty nuts later in the game. 5 allies in play, Cast him, that's Six Cards. Follow with a Join the ranks, and that's another... 16 cards, plus all the other activations you get off your other allies.

Edit: Alright, so Im a moron. I have no idea why I put the wind Zendikon in there. And As of Right now, I'm thinking that the new U/W Manland would do better than the Fortress... What do you all think?
Spyx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Path to Exile? Jwari Shapeshifter seems decent as a 2-3 off.
imtheguido

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I played it for a few hours at a local game shop. Unfortunately, there wasn't really anyone there to test against. So I ended up playing some people with my own decks, none of which are tier decks, so the results are negligible. I actually like the Excavator in the deck. It can hit cards off their deck that could cause problems for the deck. More often than not, I ended up with two of them in play, and two to three other allies in play, before dropping a Join the Ranks.

The Shapeshifter might be better as a 3 of. I tended to draw into it too much though I never had any problems with not being able to play it with no other allies in play. The Talus Paladin is retarted. Just straight out stupid. It can be bolted yes, but they have to bolt it, right after it comes in to play to kill it. By the time I drop it, the first allies I have already dropped are already decently big. And when I have a large Raptor in play, which I got upwards to a 7/7 its just stupid. I never really found a use or time to turn the man lands into useful creatures, but then again, I wasn't playing against tier one decks. I am interested to see how it turns out after the actual release.

Edit: And you make a good point. Path to exile is much better removal than Journey. Gonna have to switch those around.
Oop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your not using either of the colors that make allies good... turntimber and kazuul are the only reason to play allies...
imtheguido

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Tell me this. What is the point of posting something that has no constructive help towards what I am trying to do. I am obviously not going to scrap the deck. Green and red so far as I have seen, which turntimber and kazuul come from, have gotten no amazing boost in allies like white and blue have. If they where not playable cards before, what makes you think that as of right this moment, with no allies red allies and one from green previewed for the coming set, that they would be playable now?
Oop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blue white allies that got added dont make this deck any better... your still running bad guys that barely get playable when your play more bad guys....

Most of them dont even produce card advantage... at least cards like Turntimber and Kazuul produce card advantage... the only way allies would work would be 4-5 colors taking advantage of the jund colored allies that make them playable....

My "constructive criticism" is to add colors... and replace shitty cards with good ones
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently playing a UG Ally deck. Because Loremaster is just silly. And Turntimber. My deck is pre-WWK, but I do see a very good UW Ally deck shaping up.

The 'Clone' Ally ... I don't like him. I don't think he's bad, I just, personally, don't like him.

Ondu Cleric is better than he looks. The Paladin is Very ridiculous, keep him.

The only one I'm not sure on, is actually Hada Freeblade. In a GW or RW deck he's great, but in UW? You've got access to blue's control, you *shouldn't* mind a longer game.

Speaking of Blue's control, with the UG deck, I've found Into the Roil to be a rather silly card to use. Against some decks it doesn't work so well (Roiling a BBE is not a good idea. Ditto Broodmate.) But it tends to work well both offensively and defensively. You can bounce/save your own allies, or bounce their critters (or enchantments! Make White cry after it Journey's one of your allies!) Roil is a very flexible card, and it even cantrips.

I would *like* to run the Loremaster in this deck, but I don't see alot of room for him. Drawing cards in an Ally deck is always useful, because you NEED to throw out cards. Making them choose between killing your card draw engine and your 7/7 Umara Raptor is good.

IMHO, -4 Freeblade -2 Shapeshifter, +4 Roil, +2 Loremaster

I have no opinion on the manabase, as I run Rampant/Harrow (can't decide which) in the UG Ally deck, so have no experience with that. You *might* be able to cut a pair of lands since most of the allies you have are cheap.

I am slightly worried at running 24 creatures and 4 spells that simply drop creatures. But then, I don't see UW Aggro Allies in the cardpool, maybe it'll work though?

For the naysayer: Green and Red are two of the best colors for allies. In Zendikar. White is a close Third and Blue and Black tend to share the back. White's rare Ally with ZEN only Sucks Balls, but two allies in it are playable, cheap, and VERY GOOD. Green and Red have two playable allies each, the Survivalist and Ranger, and Warlord/Berserker. (Grunts too expensive, ditto Pyromancer. On their own. With Green's ramp, they become feasible.) This all said, I prefer the Blademaster over the Survivalist/Berserker, and Cleric over Survivalist/Berserker. The rares do overshadow those choices, however... In Zendikar. Without seeing GR Allies in WWK as of yet, can't say much, but it's shaping up to be a UW Ally heaven.

Also remember that Allies tend to do better in a longer game, and UW Control is classical control for long games.
Insom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White is the best color in standard and has the best allies. Not sure why you wouldn't play white in an ally deck.
SJM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs moar force spike.
bagina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
2 [ZEN] Island (2)
10 [M10] Plains (3)
4 [WWK] Halimar Depths
4 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade

// Creatures
4 [WWK] Hada Freeblade
4 [ZEN] Kazandu Blademaster
4 [ZEN] Ondu Cleric
4 [WWK] Halimar Excavator
4 [WWK] Jwari Shapeshifter

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Archive Trap
4 [ARB] Fieldmist Borderpost
4 [M10] Negate
4 [CFX] Path to Exile
4 [WWK] Join the Ranks

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [M10] Twincast
SB: 4 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 4 [ALA] Hindering Light
SB: 4 [ARB] Wall of Denial

heres a better ally deck. agro+mill rolled into one.

shapeshifter and excavator are bombs.

sb is thrown together in 4seconds and prob sucks. will wait to see meta for sb.

long live 4-ofs.
bagina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

note2self: sb needs mark of asylum
TurinT
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabira Evangel is by far the best white ally.
In deck your opp plays, you can name 1 or 2 colors while hitting him with paladin lifelink. You win vs 2 Baneslayer Angel (if they are on the battlefield, they hit for 10, you usually hit for 10-20 and they cant block because you have protection.

I won games just because Kabira Evangel came to my hand. beeing at 4 Life with opponent having Baneslayer and Abyssal Persecutor, me having 3 allies on bord with toughness 3-5 i play evangel + 2nd ally and swing for like 23 and my life goes to 27.

I think M10 land should be in there, i also use fetchlands, because i don't want to draw to many lands, the curve stops at 5 mana (2 Sea Gate Loremaster).
Insom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term "agro mill" makes me physically cringe.
xFreefallx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha cringe? I like the concept similar to what I was playing in block just plus blue and minus black...you should really splash for theif, he is insane. Plus with Join the Ranks you can sneak in allies after they draw their card in their draw step and just go to rapetown on their hand
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2