Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I put a spell on you (RB Curses)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: I put a spell on you (RB Curses) Reply with quote

After a humiliatingly awful pool at my local prerelease tournament, I went home with a Curse of Bloodletting and a Curse of Misfortunes as my loot of the day. So I decided to make a deck with them Smile :

Creatures:
4 Solemn Simulacrum
4 Bitterheart Witch

Enchantments:
4 Curse of the Pierced Heart
1 Curse of Death's Hold
1 Curse of Bloodletting
1 Curse of Misfortunes
1 Curse of Thirst

Artifacts:
4 Shrine of Burning Rage

Insants/Sorceries:
4 Incinerate
3 Arc Trail
2 Devil's Play
4 Galvanic Blast
3 Slagstorm

Lands:
2 Stensia Bloodhall
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
10 Mountain
2 Swamp
2 Buried Ruin

Sideboard:
4 Chandra's Phoenix
1 Curse of the Nightly Hunt
2 Olivia Voldaren
3 Memoricide
3 Doom Blade
2 Black Sun's Zenith

From the couple of games I tested with it, its a consistent control deck that almost noone is prepared for (no enchantment removal whatsoever, except oblivion ring I suppose). The plan is to survive with your cheap removals long enough, while your curses will dot away your opponent's life. The first curse to bring of course is the Curse of Misfortunes, followed by Curse of Bloodletting (which does wonders with shrines) and Curse of Thirst to deal around 6-8 damage on their upkeep. You can easily kill your witch if they are smart enough to not kill her themselves, so its pretty much GG with at least one of them on board.
Lots of main removals for aggro (arc trail/slagstorm, curse of death's hold for tokens etc), but also lots of awesome cards against control (curse of the pierced heart, shrine, stensia bloodhall). Since the only creatures we got mainboard are begging to be killed, opponents will usually side out their useless removals, making our sideboard choices appealing.

Try it out yourselves and let me know what you think Smile.
struikje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because, you're miiiiiine!

edit: I like it, have you thought about faithfull looting or some other draw? (ravings/tezzerets gambit)

Last edited by struikje on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

struikje wrote:
Because, you're miiiiiine!

LORD LORD LORD

Actually looks like a fun deck.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blt123 wrote:
Sorry, but I could never see this being competitive. It just doesn't have what it takes to combat any real tier decks. All your removal with the exception of Arc Trail trades 1 for 1 so its at a real loss with any deck running Moorland Haunt. You'll also never win an attrition war. Your removal is dead to control decks and they have cards like Timely Reenforcement if you ever try to use it as direct burn. Against something like Wolf-Run, if you don't kill a Titan the turn it resolves, you're just so far behind; not to mention you'll be trading 2 cards at the very least for the trade. Maybe for a casual deck it'll work for shits and giggles, but certainly not as a competitive deck

Moorland Haunt dies hard to Curse of Death's Hold, though I generally agree with blt123's analysis as a whole.

I'd suggest a U/B skin for the deck rather than R/B so you can have the real control shell (Snapcaster/Leak/card draw/etc) with Curses as a win condition.

That said, Witchbane Orb exists, so if this even ever got good, it'd get shut down pretty bad.
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets be honest, noone's expecting the deck, and that one of the main reasons that it will win most games. Also, life gain doesn't really matter since after 2 turns of a Curse of Misfortunes on board, the opp will take around 8 damage at his upkeep, noone can survive that. If Wolf Run cannot kill with inkmoth (death's hold), it will be probably attacking into a witch, which is always a good thing for you. And as far as control is concerned, never underestimate the power of shrines, especially combined with a Curse of Bloodletting Smile .

You can easily play around Orb btw, get a few artifact destruction sb and don't overextend on your curses. Simple stuff.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1