Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vexing Devil clarification

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Vexing Devil clarification Reply with quote

So if my opponent has Vexing Devil deal 4 damage to him or her, can I have it deal 4 to one of their Planeswalkers?

If so, don't be ashamed to do a complete reversal on your initial opinion of the card. Mwa ha ha, broken.
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All damage dealt by a source a player controls to a player may be redirected to a walker.

Considering how Vexing Devil deals damage, then it clearly can do so.

This does not change my opinion of this card, since from the beginning I've known it was a very effective 1-drop for Red or Burn decks.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, not another Vexing Devil (VD) thread...and like venereal diseases these discussions are getting round fast.

It can damage a planeswalker.

My 2 cents:

It will not see top 2 level play in modern or T2: It is strictly a RDW card. RDW is a top 2 level deck in both formats but there is nothing in them at the 1 cmc that should be removed to make way for VD. In both formats an essential component of the RDW strategy is early board advantage.

Stromkirk Noble>VD
Figure>VD
Guide>VD
Grim>VD.

The other reason for this IMO is Stormblood Berserker: a beautiful and potent card for RDW.

Turn 1:VD - opponent takes 4, turn 2: Stormblood? Insert non sequitur.
GoneBananas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be played in modern because of the great synergy between it and ranger of eos.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be pretty good early in the format if you build an RDW deck slanted towards burn with not as many creatures, since people will most often take 4 damage since it's the weaker "side" of the card.
Putting 4 of this in a regular RDW deck just won't cut it unless you just happen to draw a burn heavy hand. You want to target their dome once they've stabilised and killed your permanent threats, not on turn 1 even in RDW. This doesn't do it.

Basically the card can only be really good if your opponent misevaluates your burn spell/creature ratio and makes the incorrect decision.
That's off-topic though.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rulings forum is not the place to discuss how good you think a card is. This forum is for rules questions and answers. The rules question here has already been answered.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1