Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 102 Judged!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
cloysterd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: CaC 102 Judged! Reply with quote

These really take surprisingly long to judge. I apologize for being picky but there were several strong entries I had to try to differentiate.

InWaking -

Atum-Ra BBW
Planeswalker- Atum-Ra (Mythic Rare)
+1: Put a 1/1 white Falcon Creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
+2: Search your library for up to three creature cards and put them into your graveyard.
-2: Sacrifice a creature, if you do return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control, it gains haste sacrifice that creature at the end of the turn.
(2)

Flavor: 2/4. Well, Atum was an Egyptian god. But he was the creator god, so I'm not sure why he's putting stuff in my graveyard. I'm not sure why he's black at all, for that matter. And the god-as-planeswalker thing is sort of awkward flavor as well.
Functionality: 2/3. Falcon is no longer a creature type (all cards that were printed as Falcons are now Birds). There are a few templating errors as well. And aside from tokens that could just as easily be black, there's nothing white about this guy.
Balance: 1/3. So I get my Buried Alive and my Dread Return on the same card? I suspect this is pretty broken, especially for 3 mana.

5/10

pseudodespot -

Stir the Dunes {1WW}

Sorcery (uncommon)

Ritual 3 - You may pay {0} rather than paying Stir the Dunes' manacost if this is the third spell you cast this turn.

Put three 1/1 colorless Sand creature token onto the battlefield.

In the purple crescent with a sleeping river, there lives a white bowl of dread, light and rage. Feed it with the owl's blood and you will commence to vanity. Hail the wide sands. Hail Him, the half moon's herald!

Flavor: 3.5/4. Good stuff for sure. Flavor text is a little wordy for my taste, but I like what you're going for there.
Functionality: 3/3. It's clean, it's simple, and it's interesting. Uncommon is about right.
Balance: 1/3. This skews pretty high on the power curve. With any 0 cost spell (Memnite!) it can come down for free on turn 1. You don't even need to be in white to play it. I like the idea of the mechanic but it strikes me as being extremely difficult to balance properly.

7.5/10

niteshade -

Anubis, God of the Dead BBB2

Planeswalker --Anubis (Mythic)

+2; put a 2/2 mummy token into play.
-2; exile target creature card from a graveyard.
-8; exile all creatures from the battlefield, put x 2/2 mummy tokens into play where x equals the number of creatures exiled this way.
(4)

Flavor: 3/4. Another god moonlighting as a planeswalker. This one at least matches the god to the abilities. Triple B is a nice touch.
Functionality: 1/3. Mummy isn't a creature type either (they're just Zombies), and you don't specify that they're black. The second ability is incredibly weak for -2. None of the abilities really work together at all.
Balance: 2.5/3. As mentioned, the second ability is a joke. If it were replaced with something more appropriate it would be spot on (it's very similar to Elspeth Tirel at the same cmc)

6.5/10

EMA -

Noble Ibis 1G

Creature - Bird (rare)

Flying

When Noble Ibis comes into play, you may search your library for an island or plains and put it into the battlefield tapped.
If it was a plains, gain 2 life.
If it was an island, draw a card.

0/1

Flavor: 3.5/4. Okay, sure. It doesn't blow me away with flavor, but it's solid. Green doesn't get to fly much, but it seems okay here.
Functionality: 2/3. I like the concept. The fact that the Island ability is so much better than the Plains is sort of odd. Seems sort of simple and bland for a rare. Wording needs work, as well.
Balance: 1.5/3. This blows Sakura-Tribe Elder out of the water: I get a land, a card, and a chump blocker for 2 mana. With Hallowed Fountain it's even crazier. Needs to cost at least 3, maybe even 4, or change the Island ability to something less explosive.

7/10

Stucco -

Engraved Sarcophagus........................................................................4
Legendary Artifact................................................................................R

T: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.

2, T: Destroy target creature. Activate this ability only if you control
Set, the Betrayer.

"Enjoy the throne while you can, for blood cannot save you from my
wrath." - Set

Flavor: 3/4. Flavor text is nice, but you've got a Legendary card with a generic name. There's got to be more than one engraved sarcophagus out there, you know?
Functionality: 3/3. I like the progression of "hurt your guy" into "kill your guy". I wonder if you noticed that you actually want to keep using the first ability on regenerators and indestructibles.
Balance: 3/3. It shames Serrated Arrows, but I don't think Arrows is at the top of the power curve anymore. Hard to value the second ability without knowing what Set does. Legendary is probably appropriate.

9/10

DreamWave -(Note: I'm only judging your first entry. No double dips! Also the second one doesn't have a mana cost) -

The Nile River

Legendary Land - (Mythic)

tap to add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool

when The Nile River enters a graveyard from anywhere,
add 1 mana of any color at the beginning of you next
turns main phase

Flavor: 2.5/4. Hmm, why am I getting red mana from a river? It just feels like another generic 5-color land, which would be fine except I specifically asked for something flavorful.
Functionality: 2.5/3. Wording needs to be fixed but it's clear what it does, and it does work within the rules.
Balance: 1/3. They just don't do 5 color lands with no drawback, and Legendary isn't enough of a drawback. Plus the second ability seems breakable, although nothing springs to mind. Definitely too good to print.

6/10

nyth -

Horemheb, the Restorer of Order WU3
Creature - legendary Human Pharaoh (mythic)
3/4

W tap - counter target black spell
U tap - counter target red spell
WU tap - Destroy target red or black creature

"I will tolerate no Chaos in Egypt during my life. All cheats, thieves, and abusers of authority will be punished!!" - Pharoah Horemheb

Flavor - 3.5/4. Strictly speaking red is the color of disorder, so I don't know why this guy hates on black as well. Particularly since he's blue himself. I like the idea, though.
Functionality - 2/3. Again, my inner Melvin doesn't like the asymmetry of a blue guy that hates on black but not green. It doesn't really feel "epic" enough for mythic rare, either.
Balance - 1.5/3. For 5 mana he's too slow to stop anything you'd actually want to counter (particularly in red!). Plus those are the colors most likely to kill him before you actually untap with him, anyway. I can't imagine I'd ever put this in a deck.

7/10

CharlesT -

Staff of Possession - 3
Artifact (Rare)
Sacrifice ~ : Put a Hieroglyph counter on target creature and gain control of it. You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 on all creatures with a Hieroglyph counter on them."
Only strongest survive eternally to Pharaoh's law.

Flavor - 3.5/4. I like the concept. Going by the flavor text I'm guessing English isn't your first language. Razz
Funcionality - 2/3. You don't actually need to use emblems. A simple continuous effect (like Makeshift Mannequin) does the same thing without cluttering up the board with emblems. You missed a pretty important word in there, too.
Balance - 1/3. Biting Tether that can't be removed for 3 colorless?! Way, way too powerful. Even if all it did was kill the creature, it would be too good to print. Should probably cost more like 6.

6.5/10

huntergatsby -

Set, the Betrayer 2BB

Legendary Creature-God

When ~ comes into play, you discard your hand and put that many -1/-1 counters on ~.

All other creatures get -x/-x for each -1/-1 counter on ~

5/4

"Those who follow Osiris will soon lay in the Nile with him" Set

Flavor - 3/4. Mostly good, and I love the flavor text. My complaint is that it should really be an Avatar of Set, since you don't really summon a lot of gods in Magic. The fact that he wants to be 2/1 is a little odd, as well.
Funcionality - 2.5/3. Interesting, but not in a bad way. Wordings are off. I'll assume it's mythic rare.
Balance - 2/3. This is tough to evaluate. On one hand, it's a powerful effect. On the other hand, if he dies you just blew yourself out. Wizards doesn't print a ton of high-risk stuff like that anymore.

7.5/10

AxiomBlurr -

Kabexnuf's Canopic Jar (2)

Legendary Artifact (rare)

(1), exile target creature in a graveyard: put an entrails counter on Kabexnuf's Canopic Jar .

(2), T: Put a legendary 4/4 colorless Spirit Falcon creature token with flying onto the battlefield named Kabexnuf.
Activate this ability only if Kabexnuf's Canopic Jar has 4 or more entrails counters on it.

"Thy gizzards and the west belong to me!" - Kabexnuf, Son of Horus.

Flavor - 4/4. Definitely a slam dunk on flavor. It's sort of like Jar of Eyeballs, but way more awesome. The obscure reference is a plus as well.
Functionality - 2/3. I hate to nitpick, but Falcon is not a creature type. Also, the cost of an activated ability can't target. And this is probably a mythic rare.
Balance - 1/3. Potent graveyard hate and a nigh-unstoppable beater for not much mana in any color. Yikes. Something like this would absolutely require artifact hate in every main deck in Standard. It's salvageable if you tweak the numbers, but they'd need to be tweaked a lot.

7/10

boricuaheat -

pharaoh's chariots 4
legendary artifact Rare

can only be activated on your turn

3T: put 5/5 pharaoh into play with haste. sacrifice at the end off the turn

"Only the migthiest of pharaohs lead there army to victory"
Ragde,chariot maker

Flavor - 2.5/4. The token is probably a Human Warrior. And I'm not sure why my chariot can't block, or why it dies at the end of the turn, or why it's legendary (the pharaoh only has one chariot?). I do like the general idea, though.
Functionality - 1.5/3. The wording is a mess, but I get what you're going for. It's a little bland.
Balance - 2.5/3. Yeah, I can see this as a finisher in creatureless control or something. I'd knock it down to a 4/4, personally, but I tend to be conservative about that stuff.

6/10

axman -

Phyrexian Sandstone 0
Legendary Artifact (mythic rare)
Timestone 6 -- During your upkeep put a timestone counter on Phyrexian Sandstone. When there are six or more timestones on Phyrexian Sandstone it becomes a 6/6 artifact creature with flying, firststrike, and trample.
The sandstones of ancient ruins... the calling cards of the old gods

Flavor - 3/4. I guess the Phyrexians can show up if they want to (but the old gods are Eldrazi!). I was definitely hoping for some nice "giant statue gets up and walks around" cards, but why does this one fly? Needs a creature type, as well.
Functionality - 2.5/3. My concern about the mechanic is that it would dramatically slow down games, but on this one card it's cool. It's basically Suspend 6.
Balance - 1.5/3. Meh. It has to be legendary for balance, but then that means the most efficient removal for it is another copy of the same card. It's certainly not as oppressively powerful as JTMS, but it creates a weird deckbuilding tension. I would notch down the power a bit and make it nonlegendary.

7/10

DoomBr1nger -

Creeping Death 2BB

Enchantment - Aura Curse (M)

Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under the cursed player's turn, if it's the first of each turn, that player sacrifices it unless he or she returns a creature from an opponent's graveyard to the battlefield.

Die by my hand
I creep across the land
Killing first-born man!

Flavor - 3/4. I get everything but why my dead guys are coming back to life. I'd go with a different alternative there.
Functionality - 1.5/3. Well, as worded it doesn't do anything because it doesn't have Enchant Player. The rest of the wording is a bit off as well. Easy fixes, though.
Balance - 2.5/3. Sure. My gut is that it needs to cost a bit more, but it's a good starting place.

7/10

Canabiest -

Scion of Sobek
4GG
Creature- Viashino Monk
(Uncommon)

Permanent Offering (You may cast this card any time you could cast an instant by sacrificing a permanent and paying the difference in mana costs between this and the sacrificed permanent. Mana cost includes color.)
When a creature is offered to cast Scion of Sobek, gain 4 life.

4/4

Once they were feared as firece predators along the river, now they are seen as the crocodile gods image and revered as his children, growing fat on sacrifice.

Flavor - 4/4. I love this. Offering fits perfectly in the setting.
Functionality - 2/3. This is a heck of a beating for an uncommon; I think it has to be rare. Also, I think changing it to Creature Offering is more in line with what green does (playing a lot of creatures).
Balance - 2.5/3. Loxodon Hierarch with Flash is nothing to sneeze at. I suspect it would have to be toned down a bit, but it's close to the right place.

8.5/10

vulpi -

Egyptian architect WWW

rare creature -- Human Architect

When egyptian Architect enters the battelfield you gain an emblem: "Whenever a nontoken crature you control goes to the graveyard put a mummy token into play with power and toughness equals to the number of pyramid counters in permanents you contol"

T : Put a pyramid counter on target land you control

"What are we building ? Tombs ... ?"

0/1

Flavor - 2.5/4. I think the tombs were supposed to keep the mummies in, not let them out. And white is not the color I associate with a bunch of angry mummies anyway.
Mechanical - 1.5/3. Architect is not a creature type, and neither is mummy, and the token needs a color and card type. Wizards doesn't use emblems very often because they're sort of messy and can't be interacted with, so I think that part wants to be a continuous effect of the counter ability (e.g. Quicksilver Fountain).
Balance - 1.5/3. This is pretty slow and hard to cast. The effect can be powerful, but it probably takes too long to set up (compare Gutter Grime, which starts working immediately and doesn't die to creature removal, and it's still never played).

5.5/10

MassO -

Jesus, the Son of God (2WW)

Planeswalker - Jesus

When Jesus, the Son of God leaves the battlefield, return it to play
transformed.

-1: Gain control of target creature.
-2: Creatures you control have islandwalk.

Loyalty 3

-4: Destroy all permanents and return all creatures from the
graveyard to the battlefield, these creatures are Angels in addition to
their other creature types.

Loyalty 4

Flavor - 0/4. Hoo boy. Leaving aside the fact that this would never, ever, ever be printed, Jesus was never in Egypt. Judea was a separate province in the Roman Empire. And it's certainly not part of the "ancient Egypt" theme even if it were technically accurate. So it's pretty much disqualified as an entry in this contest.
Mechanical - 1.5/3. The islandwalk thing is cute, but it's too narrow to actually be on a card (and a white card at that). Stealing creatures isn't very white either.
Balance - .5/3. Destroy ALL permanents is way over the line for 2WW, and there's almost no way to avoid it. And then you have all the creatures and win. And did I mention there's practically nothing your opponent can do to prevent this?

2/10

balaviaris -

Mummify 1WB

Enchantment - Uncommon

When Mummify enters the battlefield, exile target creature.
When Mummify leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under your control. That creature is a black mummy in addition to its other colors and types.

Flavor - 4/4. You don't get much more Egyptian than a mummy, and this is pretty evocative.
Mechanical - 2.5/3. Mummy is still not a creature type. Everything else is perfect. I love a clean design.
Balance - 3/3. This is definitely the sweet spot. Attractive as removal, with the chance to get a nice bonus if you can blow it up (since your opponent certainly won't).

9.5/10

Mrrr -

Pharos of Alexandria

Legendary artifact (rare)

Pharos of Alexandria is indestructible.

Lands you control are indestructible.

"The whole seems to be formed of a single block of stone, remaining insensible to the ravages of time."

-Al Bakri, traveller.

Flavor - 3/4. Monuments are a big part of the ancient Egypt vibe, and people tend to ignore the Lighthouse in favor of the Pyramids. The problem is that it wasn't indestructible, and it certainly didn't make the surrounding land indestructible. Something else would have captured the lighthouse thing better.
Functionality - 2/3. It is clean and symmetrical which is nice, but it's not exactly impressive, particularly for a Legendary.
Balance - 1.5/3. This is really narrow. It's a beating with Armageddon effects, it's okay with man-lands, and in any other situation it does practically nothing. Wizards does print stuff like that from time to time, but usually with more Johnny-friendly interactions (Rooftop Storm).

6.5/10

iSperia -

Sunny Scarab - 1W
Creature - Insect (rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, return Sunny Scarab from your graveyard onto the battlefield
Just as the sun returns to the world of shadows and rises in the light of day, a small beetle follows the path of sun, and ressurects from its own manure
(1/1)

Flavor - 3.5/4. I might not have gone with "manure", but everything else is spot on. ;P
Functionality - 2.5/3. So the bugs finally got the better of Squee, I guess. Repeated reanimation is mostly black's territory, but I don't have a problem with a little bleeding here to line up with the sun flavor.
Balance - 3/3. Feels a little like Squadron Hawks, but the lack of flying makes it less threatening. Power level seems fine.

9/10

BlackPen -

Ancient Pyramid

Land Rare

T: add 1 to your mana pool.

Effects an opponent controls may not exile cards in your graveyard.

"Dangerous traps and intricate mummification techniques protect pharaohs for centuries after their death."

Flavor - 4/4. Now this is what a pyramid should be doing.
Functionality - 3/3. It hasn't been done, but it's something they could do. It's certainly clean enough.
Balance - 2/3. Graveyard hate is an important safety valve in a lot of formats that keeps degenerate combos (Dredge) from being unstoppable. I think putting this on a land makes it too easy for those decks to shrug off sideboard answers. If it was an artifact I would be okay with it.

9/10

Duodax -

Judgment of Anubis

2WUB

Instant

RARE

Exile target spell and creature.

Flavor - 3/4. I like the divine judgment thing, but Anubis was really all about dead people. I would have picked another god.
Functionality - 3/3. As clean as it gets. I love the symmetry.
Balance - 3/3. It's a potent effect, but 5 mana in 3 colors offsets that. No complaints.

9/10

sc4rs -

Set's Doom
XBB
Sorcery - Rare
Destroy each creature with converted mana cost X or less.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Set's Doom is in your graveyard and your opponent controls four or more creatures, you may return Set's Doom to your hand.

Flavor - 3/4. I don't really get the name; Set's Doom sounds like you're killing Set.
Functionality - 2.5/3. "At the beginning of your upkeep, if an opponent controls four or more creatures, you may return Set's Doom from your graveyard to your hand." A bit shorter and reads a lot easier.
Balance - 3/3. Yep. Probably worse than BSZ, but BSZ is really good. It feels more like a sideboard card against tokens and aggro than a maindeck option, but that's fine.

8.5/10

MrWeebles -

Anubis, Guardian of the Scales - 1BB
Legendary Creature - Avatar (Mythic)

At the beginning of your upkeep you may search your library for a card and put that card into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.

1B: Put target creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. Activate this ability only if there are five or more creature cards in your graveyard.

3/3

Mockingly referred to by the Greeks as "Barker", Anubis the dictator of souls was known to the Eqyptians as the patron god of embalming.

Flavor - 4/4. This is what Anubis is supposed to be doing. Avatar makes god-summoning a bit more palateable.
Funcionality - 2/3. Searching your library for any old card doesn't make a lot of sense. It should be creatures only. Loam is good enough as it is.
Balance - 1/3. If it had either ability alone it would be powerful. With both it's an explosive one card combo that only gets crazier in any format with Dredge.

7/10

Hendrix_21 -

Awaited Shaman - 4GG

When Awaited Shaman enters the bettlefield, destroy target Planeswalker.

Evoke 1GG

2/3

Flavor - .5/4. I don't believe the Egyptians had shamans, per se. Nothing about this is particularly Egyptian, for that matter.
Functionality - 1.5/3. Misspelled a word, and there's no creature type or rarity. The ability is pretty blah as well. It's something Wizards has shied away for a number of reasons, not least of all because it plays terribly in Limited.
Balance - 1.5/3. It hates on planeswalkers, but it's quite narrow in that regard. Compare the uber-flexibility of Beast Within or Bramblecrush and tell me which you'd rather have in your sideboard.

3.5/10

JacobMatthew -

Let My People Go
Instant - W
Put two creature cards with converted mana cost 1 or less from your hand onto the battlefield. Those creatures gain first strike until end of turn.
Flashback - W

Flavor - 3/4. Now that's a Biblical figure who was in ancient Egypt. Not sure how casting my guys at instant speed is letting them go, though.
Functionality - 2/3. It has to be "up to two" for hidden information reasons.
Balance - 2/3. This could be a pretty explosive first 2 turns for White Weenie (particularly since you can drop off-color stuff like Goblin Guide just as easily as Isamaru). Hard to say without the opportunity to test it, though.

7/10

And so, the winner is balaviaris! Big tie for second place, so by arbitrary selection the runner-up is Stucco. Thanks to all who participated.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I so for sure thought that Blackpen had it! congratz to Balaviaris - post the next ASAP!!!!!!! love to all and a mass thanks to Cloysterd for the effort in judging!!!
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the 1st place Smile . Unfortunately the coming week I won't have time to judge at all (project deadlines, work etc) so, may I give my spot to the second one, Stucco? Sorry for the inconvenience, keep up the cool contests!
Canabiest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good entries.
I think ritual from pseudodespot's card if balance right is a great idea. But for the top down design the mummifying is a worthy winner indeed.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1