Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern TAN

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Modern TAN Reply with quote

So this particular deck has been giving me a great deal of difficulty while building. I'm not sure yet if it is competitive enough or not. However it still seems to be viable. Maybe with some help from the community I can make proper modifications to see if this deck is indeed good enough. Here is the list so far

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [AQ] Urza's Power Plant (2)
9 [9E] Forest (1)
4 [AQ] Urza's Tower (3)
4 [AQ] Urza's Mine (3)
1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
2 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
1 [CHK] Boseiju, Who Shelters All
2 [WWK] Khalni Garden

// Creatures
4 [CHK] Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 [M11] Primeval Titan
1 [ROE] Pelakka Wurm
1 [SOM] Steel Hellkite
4 [TSB] Wall of Roots
1 [ROE] Pathrazer of Ulamog
1 [V11] Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 [DS] Sundering Titan
1 [SOM] Myr Battlesphere

// Spells
4 [TSP] Search for Tomorrow
3 [MR] Sylvan Scrying
4 [DS] Reap and Sow
4 [MR] Tooth and Nail

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ISD] Witchbane Orb
SB: 2 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 3 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 2 [SHM] Wheel of Sun and Moon
SB: 3 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
SB: 3 [ZEN] Summoning Trap

In case you are unfamiliar with the strategy. The point is to get a lot of mana either from enough ramp, or by assembling Tron (the three urza lands) then casting a big threat. What you really want to cast though is Tooth and Nail with two green lands and tron. That provides exactly enough to cast it with entwine. Here are some of the packages that you can grab

The win imediately package (myr battlesphere + kiki jiki): Copy battlesphere and attack tap 8 tokens and you get 8+8+4=20 damage. Use this when you are not afraid of any kind of disruption stopping you and your opponent is within death range. Also note that this package is also a strong defensive package as well against nonflying armies as it puts down a large number of blockers, and if your opponent does not have removal at the ready, battlesphere has a large butt that makes him difficult to go through.

The win later package (emrakul + myr battlesphere) : This is better for when you don't have to win RIGHT NOW and can wait a turn. Battlesphere is a great defense, but you may need someone else at times, like pellaka wurm.

The stax package (kiki + sundering titan/pathrazer): If they have a lot of ravnica lands or just normal basics, this package wrecks havok on opponents, with 2 etb triggers and 1 ltb trigger you usually completely wipe out their basic land types in one move. If on the other hand your opponent is not running many ravnica or basic lands, go for pathrazer and make him just sac permanents instead.

The engineered explosives package (kiki + helkite): This package takes care of anything random and tokens. It also removes pesky enchantments like spreading seas.

The timely reinforcements on steroids package (pelaka wurm + kiki): as the name would suggest, it's a tone of life and some big bodies, also if your opponent doesnt get rid of kiki imediately, you have a card advantage engine as well.

These are just a few of the more common packages that you can grab, however you can mix and match however you need to given the situation.

In addition to the packages, the other rout you can go is just the straight mono green eldrazi route. Ramping up to a primeval titan and searching out eye of ugin, and then tutoring up emrakul to kill your opponent.

Anyways, I think that is everything. Please leave me your impute and let me know what you think.
Top8eR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add mikaeus, the unhollowed and triskeleon for the auto win.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top8eR wrote:
I would add mikaeus, the unhollowed and triskeleon for the auto win.

Yeah, that makes a lot of the packages superfluous so I can just focus on eye of ugin targets. New list coming soon
struikje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just run urabrask or flamekin zealot to get an eldrazi and attack on the same turn? Seems better then the battlesphere or the triple black card.

Why play steel hellkite? I'd just get a wurmcoil instead.

I like the GR version that plays signets and through the breach, with just a bunch of eldrazi and summoners pact to get titan.

Explore is a 2 mana ramp that I like a lot.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have done a lot of testing and here is what I have found.

@top8er: as awesome as it is to be able to win instantly, that two card combo is too weak to removal and grave hate. Just using a path breaks it up and will usually cost me the game. I usually find myself just searching up emrakul and some other guy to hold down the fort for 1 turn and then smash in (usually it's ulamog to ensure that my opponent does not recover). I'm still looking for an instant win combo though that is not as fragile.

@struikje: not running urabrask because he is easy to remove and usually that turn is life or death. Flamekin however is something that I has been on my mind a lot, mostly because the haste doesn't go away.

Wurmcoil has actually been very underwhelming in this deck. So far every time I have searched him up he has died to a path or something and my opponent swung for lethal. However he might be a bit better with kiki jiki. Steel hellkite has been replaced by the far superior terastodon. Sometimes against control I can search terastodon and emrakul then just lock them out of white sources, making o-ring and day worthless.

I tried making a gr version however I found that it was not nearly as consistent. Sure through the breach was cool, but it was not worth the cost of making your ramp inconsistent. The mono green version is incredibly consistent and I like it very much.

here is the updated list as of now

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
8 [9E] Forest (1)
1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
2 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
1 [CHK] Boseiju, Who Shelters All
4 [AQ] Urza's Mine (3)
4 [9E] Urza's Power Plant
4 [8E] Urza's Tower
2 [WWK] Khalni Garden

// Creatures
4 [CHK] Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 [M11] Primeval Titan
1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
4 [TSB] Wall of Roots
1 [CHK] Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 [ROE] Pelakka Wurm
1 [WWK] Terastodon

// Spells
4 [TSP] Search for Tomorrow
4 [MR] Sylvan Scrying
4 [DS] Reap and Sow
4 [MR] Tooth and Nail
2 [FUT] Summoner's Pact

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ISD] Witchbane Orb
SB: 2 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 2 [SHM] Wheel of Sun and Moon
SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 2 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 3 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
SB: 1 [M11] Triskelion
SB: 1 [FD] Mephidross Vampire

I think I'm going to cut summoners pact though for two more creature md.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thing is truly a monster right now, p.s. I cut the 2 pacts and put in tornado elemental. Now it is back down to 60 cards instead of 61.

Right now the deck beats pretty much everything. It completely dominates the aggro loam decks out there, it has a very strong mu vs. UW tron since it can destroy lands. It beats bant decks hands down because it combo's off on turn 4 or 5 which is too fast for them. It beats boros because my guys get in the way of damage long enough for me to set up either tron or primeval titan. It beats meliria pod because it's faster and post board you have a lot of hate for their nuts draw. It beats twin with torpor orb and spellskite (and twin is pretty weak in this meta right now). It beats storm with wheal and witchbane orb (wheal make it so they can not use any of their flashback cards to get up to a high enough storm count, and they cannot charge pyromancers ascension). Tokens has been the only hard mu, but it shouldn't be difficult at all now that I have storm elemental. The only problem the deck seemed to have after a lot of testing was getting swarmed by flyers, and now that problem is neutralized. I think the sb still needs a little work though to make the difficult mu's (other combo decks mainly) easier.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1