Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standard Sideboarding Help (UB Control)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Kinetic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Standard Sideboarding Help (UB Control) Reply with quote

Hello community! Smile,

I was wondering if the community had a moment to help me out. I'm running a deck similar to the one that just won the latest Standard trial, but not quite as refined, and I was hoping someone might be able to share some of the reasons for using some cards, as well as the meta game ideas.

(Link to the deck for those who haven't seen it yet.)

I'm just getting back into the game after about a 3 year hiatus, and I have no idea what to do with a Sideboard, and what cards are good against what meta.

Specifically:

What does Karn accomplish in the deck? (I'm assuming removal and some anti-Planeswalker hate.)

How does Batterskull work in the deck and what is its intent? (I see it in a lot of lists, but not the why, or is it just a "good card" all around sort of thing?)

The sideboard as a whole, what decks are they intended for, and what would you side for what in the meta? Seriously, side-boarding I feel is my greatest weakness, and learning how/why this deck side boards would really help me understand the current meta.

Thanks so much any insight anyone can bring.
struikje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karn is there as win condition. If it resolves, if you are behind on board, you just take the highest threat. It just deals with everything.

Batterskull is in the deck for the same reason wurmcoil engine is in the deck. It has lifelink, and against the more aggresive decks, gaining a bunch of life is really what you need to get out of burn range. Some decks can't handle a 4/4 vigilance lifelink, so it is a good wincondition aswell.

For the sideboard, i'll enlighten some easier targets:

-mental mistep/sensory deprivation/wring flesh are brought in against decks with a lot of small creatures, like illusions. Mistep especiallly is good against a delver deck, as you can counter delver when you are on the draw. Sensory deprivation is I think used in other aggresive decks. Wring flesh hits a lot of creatures in standard atm, because of all the aggro decks out there.

-ratchet bomb is brought in against illusions/tokens decks, as it can stay on 0 counters and kill all tokens.

-Steel sabotage is in the sideboard because UB has trouble dealing with artifacts, as artifact removal are only found in RGW. You play it against decks that have troublesome artifacts (swords, shrine of burning rage,...).

-Phantasmal image is a good way to deal with cards like thrun/geist of saint traft/Olivia Voldaren. These are all good creatures, an especially Thrun an Geist see a lot of play. The first 2 have hexproof, meaning you cannot target the with your removal spells. What you can o, is cast phantasmal image for 2, copying the legendary creature, thus killing both.

-Bloodline keeper is a good card you bring in against decks that can't really handle him. He's bad against control decks, because control'l just kill him, and also bad against wolf run ramp, because they have a better endgame then bloodlinekeeper. The illusions deck however has a lot of 1/1 flyers, and bloodline keeper makes 2/2 flyers, which willflip into 4/4's after a while.

-Drownyard, negate and visions from beyond are probably brought in for control mirrors, where milling them out becomes viable in the long run. Visions from beyond can be played as an ancestral recall, and worst case scenario it just cycles.
Kinetic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that makes sense. What would be the best cards to take out for this list (i.e., what isn't as good versus those decks). God I feel so dumb asking these things, but I just don't know right now.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1