Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BWG Pox Control-meta tuned

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Tier 1 quality?
yes
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
no
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 11

aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: BWG Pox Control-meta tuned Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
7 [ISD] Swamp (3)
3 [ISD] Isolated Chapel
4 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
2 [M12] Plains (4)
2 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
4 [M12] Forest (4)

// Creatures
1 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
2 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
3 [NPH] Spellskite
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
3 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
3 [MBS] Glissa, the Traitor
3 [M12] Sun Titan

// Spells
4 [M12] Smallpox
4 [ISD] Unburial Rites
4 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
4 [ISD] Mulch
1 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
SB: 1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
SB: 1 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 3 [M12] Grave Titan
SB: 2 [SOM] Mimic Vat
SB: 2 [SOM] Sunblast Angel

I'm sure many of you are aware that this is my pet deck and I love playing it. Anyways this is my latest incarnation of the deck and I have tuned it to have a good mu vs. the fast aggro decks out there (still testing against temp steel though) and a good mu vs. the wolfs run decks.

What draws me to this deck is just how versatile it is. Most of the cards are good in multiple ways and are highly resilient and are incredibly synergistic.

First lets start with the card descriptions.

Note on the mana base: With smallpox in the deck I wanted to have 26 lands to ensure that I would recover from the damage of smallpox faster than my opponent would, also if you look at the cards that I am running, white mana is not a necessity until late game where I would need it in double colors. Green mana on the other hand is very important to have in the early game since most of your early drops are green, therefore I opted to play 4 razzorverge's for my GW dual lands, and M12 lands for the other duals, considering that Black is the most common color of the deck, I put in a lot of swamps, this also means that most of the times I will be able to play my M12 dual lands untapped. One last important note to anyone who wants to pilot this deck, usually you want your first play to be a tapped dual land, as it gives you the most options on your second turn.

early drops:

3 Spellskites: great blocker, cheep to cast, it's a low cost artifact which allows it to be recurred with Glissa and Sun Titan, it protects our large threats later in the game, and it completely turns off wolf run, fantastic little guy for this meta.

3 Viridian Emissary: against control they can provide some early pressure, against aggro they buy time and ramp me so that I can drop a game changing card a turn earlier, they can be recurred with sun titan, and they make smallpox hurt your opponent way more (since it also sets them a turn behind in mana development)

3 Glissa: with the way the mana is structured in this deck you will more often then not be able to cast her on your 3rd turn (in those few occasions where you cannot, you will be able to cast her on your 4th). Glissa may be the best creature in the deck (if it was not for her color probably the best in the format). She is absolutely brutal against almost everything! she has first strike and deathtouch to stop aggro decks in it's tracks (excluding tempered steel which plays a ton of flyers) and she is a MAJOR road block against ramp decks. On top of all this wizards felt like printing an ultra powerful triggered ability on her cause she wasn't good enough already...combine her with ratchet bomb and tokens scoops, combine her with replica and you will wreck havoc on tempered steel, combine her with lilliana and you have some rather impressive CA. Oh and btw, she has cmc of 3 so you can sun titan her back. She is so unbelievably awesome you can never say enough about her. I wouldn't be surprised if she starts seeing play in legacy in the future.

4 mulch: generates an impressive amount of CA for you since most of the cards that you bin will not go to waste, and it helps ensure that you get the mana that you want when you want it. Also make casting a turn 3 glissa much more reliable.

4 smallpox: in most situations against an aggro opponent, this 1 card will completely destroy all momentum they have. Delver decks will NEED to counter this card if they are on the play or the game will slow down too much for them and it will give you the space you need to get to 6 mana without dieing. This card is not "stellar" in quite a few matchups though, like ramp and control so it gets sb'd out very often. However it is still always useful since it can act as removal or a discard outlet if you have glissa, sun titan or unburial rites, so even in those mu's it does some work, so considering how awesome it is in the aggro mu's it earns it's md slot.

sylvok replica: hits inkmoth nexus, tempered steel, swords, runecaster pikes, and has 3 toughness

nihil spellbomb: is very powerful against graveyard based stratagies, and works like a baby jace in conjunction with glissa and sun titan

ratchet bomb: lethal against aggro and tokens (not so good though against anything else). as mentioned earlier, this in conjunction with sun titan or glissa makes tokens scoop.

liliana: I think she is at her best when she is in a deck like this. You dont really use her ultimate that often, however her discard effect both helps you and hurts your opponent, and her -2 is very very useful for killing creatures, especially those with hexproof. Her -2 also combos quite well with glissa, and lastly, her casting cost means I can titan into her. One of my favorite plays is to use her minus 2 while she is on 2 loyalty, then play sun titan and do it again, making my opponent sac 2 creatures and let me drop a titan.

Higher curve stuff:

3 sun titan: Not always the best titan of the bunch, but he does a TON of work in this deck since you have a lot of permanents that with cmc 3 or less. He does much of the same stuff glissa does but with a bigger body, and has more targets like lilli and glissa herself, in addition to ghost quarters (which can be murder on wolfs run players). He makes a great unburial rites target.

2 elesh norn: elesh norn is soooooooo good against this meta, he pretty much makes tokens and ramp scoop when he hits play (I know ramp may be a little unexpected, but think about it, inkmoth is turned off, usually you have either spellskite or glissa in play so they cant attack you with ground forces or use wolfs run, and they have very little removal for something with 7 toughness)

1 wurmcoil: helps you get out of lethal range while you are recovering from an onslaught, also he's an artifact that can be brought back with glissa and he's a creature that can be brought back with unburial rites. I only want 1 though in the md because there are much better cards that I could be casting, when I am not in lethal range.

4 unburial rites: these let the deck operate faster, and give it more resiliance against control decks. In addition to it's ability to let me play a turn 4 titan/elesh it also lets me grind out a lot of counter-magic in my opponents hand, eventually letting me stick a threat.

Most of the sideboard cards are additional coppies of what I have md to adjust to whatever deck that I am playing. As for those that are not...

2Mimic Vat: Good against control and gives me another way to abuse dead creatures if I'm worried about surgical extractions. Also good against tempured steel where you want as many ways as possible to recur a replica.

3 grave titan: best creature to use against control. It puts them on a fast clock, and leaves behind a lot of dudes even if they kill him. Against control, threat density is the name of the game, so you want to load up on a ton of big dudes, and grave titan is the best at the job.

2 sunblast angels: this is a relatively new addition and still a test for this slot. The theory is that it will help out the tempered steel mu and do some work against wolfs run ramp when put on a vat. The one weakness of this deck is its lack of flying creatures to defend with and I think this would be able to be game changing enough against tempured steel when played to buy me some time to put the game away with cards like elesh norn.

Anyways that's the deck that I have put A TON of effort into over the course of a couple month. Hope you like it and tell me what you think. If you have any ideas on some improvements let me know. I hope that you have enjoyed this deck analysis
jetstrike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like an excellent deck list in my opinion I have not tested it yet however. I also am interested on changes if any you anticipate at this time with the few cards spoiled so far. One card I see as being very good for you is the new Sorin. He lets you make tokens to sac to pox and later gives you ammo.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetstrike wrote:
This looks like an excellent deck list in my opinion I have not tested it yet however. I also am interested on changes if any you anticipate at this time with the few cards spoiled so far. One card I see as being very good for you is the new Sorin. He lets you make tokens to sac to pox and later gives you ammo.

I love sorin, when I first saw him I was like "so you took the good +1 from elspeth and made the token better, then you took the good minus abillity from ajani and made that better, and then your threw on a game changing ultimate..." The only problem is that he doesnt have a cmc of 3 or less and is not an artifact and he is a permanent that does not do much for the deck. The slot that he would take would probably be better served by garruk the relentless since garruk produces a bigger token and can be removal, and I can use transformed garruk's sac ability to gain some advantages when combined with sun titan and glissa, however in testing I have found garruk to be to slow and brittle.

as far as cards in the spoiler, I have not seen any yet that really fit into my deck, only 3 artifacts have been spoiled so far none which fit this deck, not many cards that interact with the grave in a way that this deck can use, and not very many bombs that are better then what I have now. I do believe however that with the expansion graveyard based stratagies will become more powerful and nihil spellbomb will take up more slots in the sb. Also as transform cards become better, and there is more support for token stratagies (sorin especially) ratchet bomb will get another slot in the main.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The synergies of the deck are undeniable (I myself play Glissa/Bomb) and some of the interactions trump entire archetypes. Mulch and Viridian Emissary are tight additions that play in your Smallpox favor in multiple ways, but I dislike how loose much of the rest of the deck is. The idea has merit, especially going into a set likely to spotlight BW. Keep working on it and mapping out potential draws for each opponent and eventually a tight list will come of it. Tier 1 meta-idea. 12 Green sources to cast turn 3 Glissa is sloppy and unreliable, though!
Halldir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played simmilar deck when Innistrad came, but it was UBG now WBG...
cards i played there and found interesting also for you are:
Tribute to hunger- great vs aggros, you kill creature and you get lifes, so hexproof solution also:)
Thrun- absolute killer, hard to kill etc etc:)
Entomber Exarch- discard or return of a creature... tested him and he is surprisingly good
green spellbomb- yet another synergy with glissa + mana fix
EMA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested the list a bit, it plays ok but it gets wrecked hard by any random graveyard hate spell since the deck's real strenght is recursion.
Mana base needs work, T3 Glissa is really never happening... sometimes not even on T4.
I think the deck is ok and could shine in this delver/illusion/moorland haunt aggro heavy meta, but if it somehow manages to become enstablished it's going to get hated out of the metagame pretty easily.
Taodd
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the deck a little and agree with what others have said.

I suggest for the mana base to start with swap razorverge thicket out for sunpetal grove, your white starts at 4 mana and you have a decent number of basics. Also cut 1-2 ghost quarter for colored sources, you really need better color consistency.

When the deck worked it was pretty insane and was nigh impossible to beat. One game my opponent had two active birthing pods for numerous turns made and made and copied titans aplenty and I still always felt in control and won easily. In another game my an opponent put wurmcoil on a prototype portal and just couldn't get through in time thanks to glissa and elesh and eventually I got the replica to win.

In other games I died without casting a spell due to mana issues.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take another look at the mana base, so far I have not had much of an issue with it in practice, there are some games however where I do have to use ghost quarters to fix my mana, however with the 26 lands and 7 mana fixers in the deck, I seem to be able to afford to do so most of the time. I have been hesitant to take out the ghost quarters for a while for the reasons that I stated in the main article, however consistency is becoming a bit of a problem so I'll redo the numbers on the lands, as for T3 glissa, is everyone really having trouble casting it on turn 3? It usually is not difficult for me however a lot of the times you have to plan your land drops from turn 1. Or do something like viridian emissary on turn 2 (if your opponent does not make you block with the emissary then getting glissa out a little bit later probably isn't going to hurt you much).

EMA: if it does become established then yeah I agree it's easy to hate out, however right now I dont think people can afford to spend sb slots on grave hate with how powerful the other top tier decks are.

Conkisstador: Right now I am trying to keep the MD flexible enough to have a decent mu against all the top tier decks and then use the sb to tighten up the deck for games 2 and 3.

some issues that I am having as of now though are that the aggro decks are 1 turn too fast for me. If I do not draw smallpox then they kill me before I hit my relevant spells. More importantly, in this meta most of the aggro decks are playing a large number of evasive creatures so the standard stratagy of just put guys in their way and play some removal is not working out so well so I'm going to have to experiment with some other solutions. I think ramping into sunblast angel might be a good one but we will see. Feel free to post your modifications to the deck for discussion.
JestersBoots

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four timely reinforcement in the side would solve most of your agro woes, with the remainer of them solved by two doom blades in the main for the evasion weakness. What the doom blade doesn't "pick-off" directly will thin the herd for your forced sacrifices. You'll be suprised how much more effective smallpox and lili become when you can choose and remove something first. This also stops the flappy consecrated sphinx, and provides an avenue for the cheap "illusions" that you've seen sacked to your lili and pox.

In order to make room for these cards, you should consider the workings of unburial rites. At 5 CMC you don't really care to have one in the draw. Also, barring the rare "Liliana - pitch Elesh, fifth turn unburial", you're going to be waiting for a strong target. The correct place for unburial rites here is topdeck game winner after a Sun Titan stall - not as a win more. Drop to 3 to make room for one doom blade.

The next place you look is spellskite. While he's fun to bring back with glissa/sun titan, he's really only a powerhouse against wolf run and incinerate. Against the first deck, you're siding him in anyway to get to a playset. On the second deck, you're siding him in alongside timelys. Drop a second one from MD to SB to make room for the second doom blade.

Now for the sideboard. Having three cards in your deck of a single name that cost CMC 7 is completely rediculous. Granted Elesh is a house - but let's be realistic. You'd much rather win the game than be sitting at five land with an elesh norn in hand. Dropped for the MD->SB Spellskite.

Wurmcoil Engine is strong enough as a 1 of in main, and bringing in a second versus RDW isn't as strong as timely reinforcements. Since I can't think of another deck where Wurmcoil Engine #2 would come into play, this gets kicked.

Grave Titan has much the same weakness as Elesh. It costs a truckload to put more than a pair in the Main Deck, unless the deck is focused around it. As a sideboard additive with none in the main, 2 is the right number.

You'll find Timely reinforcements ALSO answers the Tempered Steel builds quite well when mixed with ghost quarter. One shuts down the Moor engine, the other buys your time to get your own engine running. The Replicas added to SB are therefore focused on an already won battle.

My advice:
Main
-1 Spellskite
-1 Unburial Rites
+2 Doomblade

SB
-1 Grave Titan
-2 Sylvok Replica
-1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
-1 Wurmcoil Engine
+4 Timely Reinforcements
+1 Spellskite
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I played the deck for around 4 hours yesterday and had some interesting results.

I think the Glissa factor is more cute than powerful. I really felt that her only use for me was to hold back a few creatures who would otherwise start attacking me thanks to its First Strike and Deathtouch abilities. Recurring cool things via her ability is nice, but I did not feel it was abusive enough to warrant so many MD slots. Instead I would rather see more creatures that interact well with Smallpox, perhaps Solemn Simulacrum, or something with cmc <4 so that you could get more interaction with Sun Titan. Some more MB removal would be nice as well. I like Tribute to Hunger as an idea.

I really like the deck and will continue testing with the changes people are suggesting and report back here eventually!
struikje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck looks fun indeed, will try it^^.

@darkwizard42:

Blade splicer seems to work nice with both smallpox (you sac the 1/1) and sun titan. It might be to hard on the manabase though.
EMA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Glissa + ratchet bombs is winning GPs apparently Very Happy
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard, dead weight as removal? it's 1 drop, it's sorcery speed, it's removal, it's recurrable with titan
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1