Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instigator Gang/Wildblood Pack static effect

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You misunderstand it a bit I think.

You could read the ability like, "As long as WildbloodPack/Instigator Gang is on the battlefield, as long as a creature you control is attacking, it has +x/+0"

Similar to the card "Castle"
Castle {3W} |Enchantment| Untapped creatures you control get +0/+2.
except with a different condition.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is known as a static ability.
604.1. Static abilities do something all the time rather than being activated or triggered. They are written as statements, and they're simply true.

It is true that they cannot respond to the ability. Once a creature becomes an attacking creature, the ability applies without using the stack.

Edit: Also I should note that, contrary to popular belief, you can not "respond" to attackers being declared.

Last edited by xJudicatorx on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
lucksick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judicator is correct.

On a final note - you can play stuff pre-declare attackers sub-phase (within the combat phase) But not in response to declaring attackers.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ck3gds wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far. For the benefit of the intended reader (you know who you are Very Happy), can someone address #2? When does the bonus stop applying?

#2 is correct. A creature is an attacking creature only during the combat phase. It is still considered an attacking creature during the End of combat step, but not during the post-combat main phase.(508.1j)

Also, apparently I made a small mistake in my first reply. If an ability puts a creature onto the battlefield attacking, it is never considered to be an attacking creature. It must be declared as an attacker.(506.3b)
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:

Also, apparently I made a small mistake in my first reply. If an ability puts a creature onto the battlefield attacking, it is never considered to be an attacking creature. It must be declared as an attacker.(506.3b)

This is not correct. An ability that puts a creature on the battlefield attacking does cause it to be an attacking creature. There are a few exceptions to this, one of which 506.3b covers, but that exception isn't relevant to this situation.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clariax wrote:
xJudicatorx wrote:

This is not correct. An ability that puts a creature on the battlefield attacking does cause it to be an attacking creature. There are a few exceptions to this, one of which 506.3b covers, but that exception isn't relevant to this situation.

I see, I didn't read that thoroughly enough. Is there a section where it is specifically spelled out which creatures are and are not attacking, or is it simply assumed?
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is 'attacking' if it is, well, attacking something. That can happen because it was declared as an attacker or because something put it into play attacking (and thus not 'declaring it'), but no matter what method is used, it is 'attacking'.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1