Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Ascension

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Modern Ascension Reply with quote

I did like the Standard version of U/R Pyromancer Ascension, so I kinda whipped one up for Modern. I've done many testing runs, but I am still trying to get one build that I enjoy the most. Now, being that this deck is not intended for tier 1 wins, it's more over just being a fun deck, really. So if I may get some pointers and advice on what to run and/or replace, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
7 [UG] Mountain
7 [UG] Island
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
4 [GP] Steam Vents

// Spells
4 [10E] Telling Time
2 [M11] Call to Mind
4 [ZEN] Pyromancer Ascension
4 [M10] Time Warp
4 [TSB] Browbeat
4 [CS] Rune Snag
4 [FD] Magma Jet
4 [GP] Electrolyze
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
4 [CHK] Glacial Ray

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [DIS] Spell Snare
SB: 4 [10E] Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 4 [MBS] Slagstorm
SB: 3 [10E] Cryoclasm
Burton911

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting every other problem aside, why would you ever play Glacial Ray if you dont have any other Arcane Card in the deck?
Its even more hilarious when the Punishing Grove Combo is available.
Kewpee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since ive been playing pyro in standard i of course did my research into pyro in modern, and it seems that these cards SHOULD always be included

x4 manamorphose
x4 remand
x4 rite of flame

turn 1 rite of flame into pyromancers is so good and really helps pick up the speed, then with 2 pyros active manamorphos plus remand becomes an infinite combo drawing your entire deck and winning the game usually with multiple copies of lightning bolt or grapeshot ftw.

just so you understand the combo:

cast manamorphos (when you "cast" this is just the attempt of playing the spell ie. tapping the mana and putting the spell on the stack) since pyro activates at the cast your actually casting 3 copies of manamorphos.

While manamorphos is on the stack respond with remand again casting three copies of remand, the first COPY of remand is going to counter the original manamorphos returning it to your hand then the second COPY of remand is going to counter the orignal remand returning it to your hand.

Let the two copies of manamorphos resolve choosing RRUU and drawing 4 cards. With the original manamorphos and remand in your hand with the mana from the 2 manamorphos copies still in your pool to do it all over again!
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have two active asensions you probably should already be winning the game anyway
kendiggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raybelfast wrote:
if you have two active asensions you probably should already be winning the game anyway

Correction: You shouldbe doing pretty good anyways. You can get two ascensions active but then whiff on a ponder or preordain (it's happened to me several times) and then have no pressure for your opponent because you spent everything on getting ascension active. Manamorphose serves two purposes here, helping you get set up early on and then acting as a "win condition" later. It works really well with Noxious Revival.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1