Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Draft4you - 3 round drafts and swiss

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues

Which do you prefer?
Single Elimination
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Swiss
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
I don't care
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Nikoleye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Draft4you - 3 round drafts and swiss Reply with quote

As you know in draft4you most of the drafts are 3 rounds now, run by the players.

If you would like to become/learn how to host just type !listmanager in the channel, any of those people can show you how to host and give you host access.

If you vote in the poll, feel free to leave a comment on your preference.

Last edited by Nikoleye on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
fdart17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, this is perfect.
Most of the time it is a bit dull to draft then play only 1 match.
This makes it easier, more official (people take it more seriously) and more worth the drafting time!
Kabelis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is friggin' awesome. The way you draft is completely different if you will only play 1 round, you can easily pass an off-color bomb, because there's no way it will wheel to your opponent.
With 3 rounds, you have to take that stuff into account
Nikoleye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, we already have 3 round drafts....

only vote on weather you want SWISS over SINGLE Elimination!!
dikcoop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about swiss sealeds?
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Magic-league should have its own draft bot that is capable of being semi-piloted by a judge and run regular swiss draft minis... its too bad that this probably wont happen because of people like Clariax who troll around the place. This is only my honest and sincere, constructive opinion on this matter. But who cares what the players have to say... Thats how it feels at this point. This will most likely get removed or edited even though its half opinion half truth and all legit.

O.o

This thread is not a place for you to attack judges and staff, and your post is far from constructive critically. If you have an issue with a staff member or judge, the Contact Us page gives you the details of who to contact.
tchiseen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss, obv, I'm a scrub, gotta get my $$$ worth yallz
Alcyone_4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niko nice post.

Anyway here's my two cents. I think keeping single elimination rounds would be the best option because Swiss would just take way too long. Plus in a 3 round draft normally when the host loses or when there's enough demand they'll fire up a new one. So whether you lose fast or not there will usually be another tournament for you to join.

With that being said. If 3 round drafts' popularity increases greatly and by some miracle magic-league can find prize support for them then including Swiss would be the next logical progression. Kind of like how MODO has swiss drafts so that each player can win boosters and have 8-4-2-2 or 4-3-2-2 (or something like that) prize payouts for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place.

Or even just scrap the prizes and insert a #draft4you points system with DraftBot which would allow Swiss tournaments to flourish. However, as stated by Niko in the past, while easy, implementing this would take a lot of time and he would essentially need a support team of coders to do it. Anyone up for the challenge?
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discussed this with Nikoleye yesterday, but I will share my stance on where we stand with the bot:

By and far the most pertinent issue that has been brought to me in terms of drafting by players is that players only get to play one match per draft. The reason staff are supporting the bot now that all the miscommunication is out of the way is because the bot is an excellent way for players to randomly pair up over the course of multiple matches.

That being said, there are a couple of points I want to make completely clear on this:

- These are not tournaments, nor should they be considered as such. I accept the bot as a method for players to get multiple matches out of one draft. I do not accept the bot as a method for circumventing the tournament system we already have in place.
- Single Elimination tournaments in no way solve the issues players have raised. Players want to be able to play multiple matches from one draft. If it is single elimination, half the players won't get to play multiple matches.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage of single-elim is that it takes bad decks out of the event. It allows people unhappy with their draft to start a new one. It keeps ragers from tilting and playing poorly in round 2/3.

That being said, I voted Swiss by a huge margin. We'll have to deal with a latency period where people dont know to drop (resulting in BYEs, ew) and just learn to run the routine. But running multiple rounds let you fully understand your deck. It's egomaniacal to think you know exactly what your deck is before round 1. Playing more rounds will make the draft quality in draft4you (atm very ppoor) much stronger compared to drafting multiple decks. A lot of people get thir only limited experience for big events through draft4you and making the community stronger should be every playerr's goal a long as it's not the last draft they ever do.
fdart17

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savino1234 wrote:
However, as stated by Niko in the past, while easy, implementing this would take a lot of time and he would essentially need a support team of coders to do it. Anyone up for the challenge?

What language?
Alcyone_4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]What language?

Not sure, you'd have to talk with Niko. However, that was all just theoretical, I'm not sure a new points system for drafts would fly with Magic-League. I just think it'd be cool to have it solely so that winning a 3 round draft could hold more weight. For example, if you come in 1st you might get 8 points, 2nd maybe 4, 3rd 2 and so on.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1