Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Role of "Other" Formats in Magic-League

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments

Do you advocate more "Other" events by the league?
Yes, whatever the format is
65%
 65%  [ 17 ]
No, not at all
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Only for a few certain formats
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Only for one certain format
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 26

VacancyMan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: The Role of "Other" Formats in Magic-League Reply with quote

I am a spoiled Magic: the Gathering player. I ignore Type 1, mindlessly play the same deck over and over in 1.5, loathe 1.x, and have given up on Type 2. I can't stand the contemporary days of Magic. I yearn for something new, something inspiring, and, with Guildpact some anguishful weeks away, the cure could be anything but ordinary. Thus, I have a proposal.

This may come as a shock to some of you.

I'll give you a chance to turn back.

Still with me?

You fool.

You utter fool.

Oh well, I guess there's no stopping you now.

Here it is - the appalling truth:

There are formats out there besides Standard, Extended, Legacy, and Vintage.

Surprised

These are virgin formats, those with card pools, deck strategies, and gameplay dynamics to be explored. We are able to manufacture our own metagame. The viability of rogue that some desperately yearn for comes alive, while those who correctly analyze the format will be rewarded with success. I remember the Rainbow Stairwell days on Magic-League fondly. I am sure that I am not the only one. I hope that "Other" formats can be revived, acknowledged, and appreciated as another great way of enjoying this game. If you know of a quality "Other" format, post it here. I urge those in power for the league to consider more "Other" events and for the league members to support and enjoy them.
Bejeezus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try and play any type of Format that is considered to be "Other" whether it be an off-beat block format or something like Rainbow Stairwell, it was all enjoyable for me.

I do remember when there was a week of wacky formats here in Magic-League, and that was one of the most fun times I had here. I'd just love to see that happen again.
Craze

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatest Other Format is T2 Chaos...I'm undefeated in it...

I love it soo much....
plowman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Bring Your Own Block.
kilomitro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with the "other" formats are, well, they suck. some are too random, like rainbow stairwell, while others just dont have the support, like BYOB. i personally like BYOB, and if more players had a deck, id host minis. but alas there lies another problem. since the "other" formats arnt used much by either teh DCI or M-L, most ppl dont even have one. im sure if M-L hosted some trials, theyd become more popular.
VacancyMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilomitro wrote:
im sure if M-L hosted some trials, theyd become more popular.

Amen. This is exactly what made Rainbow Stairwell popular enough.

Thank you everyone for your responses.
Tidus-
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extended Highlander minis are made by me all the time but sadly after 30mins of entries being open i dont even find a leagye match to play in that format Very Happy
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Other" tourneys need some kinda advanced notice...
not saying it has to be like BYOB tourney at 7PM on Thurs., but maybe like "this week I will be trying to have creature and BYOB tourneys" just so people will have the decks lying around...
WildCard
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Chaos topic is gone buti have one under tourneys. take any format that is not already posted. make a topic about that somewhere here. i think tourneys is appropiate. and then post in the "other" topic with the link. try to compile a list of formats that some judges can just say "cool" and run one of those. also have the rules on our boards so that people can read the rules and have decks ready for a mini. i like to run "other" minis but the problem is not alot of people support them. laters!!
PV
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there should be Mental Magic tournaments, and that's the only "other" I'll ever accept as good.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2