Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extended (T1.X) Trial Tournament Report & Interviews

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments

Which was your favorite list in the T3?
Red Deck Wins
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
UW Affinity
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
UBw Faeries
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

ivshapiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Extended (T1.X) Trial Tournament Report & Interviews Reply with quote

Another day, another trial, another Red deck winning it.
Thanks for reading this report.

Nah, I'm not that lame.
But RDW, took another Tournament on ML, this time the format was Extended!

Congratulations to Florasten, who piloted his interesting RDW list to achieve victory. His build included many unique picks such as Koth, Iron Myr, and Demigod of Revenge (long time no see). Here is the list :

Red Deck Wins

1st - Florasten

Main Deck :

4 Teetering Peaks
4 Arid Mesa
2 Scalding Tarn
1 Smoldering Spires
13 Mountain

4 Demigod of Revenge
4 Iron Myr
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Goblin Guide

4 Searing Blaze
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst Lightning
4 Koth of the Hammer
4 Staggershock

Sideboard :

4 Volcanic Fallout
4 Vexing Shusher
4 Ratchet Bomb
3 Everlasting Torment

I also managed to get an interview with him!

Q : So why did you chose to pilot RDW in Extended?

A: I played it for a while in T2 and for a few weeks it ran very well in T2. I decided to change my Extended version to copy my T2 version.

Q: What are your thoughts on Koth in your build?

A: At first I hate doubts with Koth but it turned out to be a very good deck. It gives me a 4/4 early in the game (I play myr to cast it Turn 3) as it is more of a Midrange Red (as eEnder called it). Koth still arrives at a good time. With Kargan or Figure it's second ability is great. The bad part is when your opponent kills your mountain, but that is rare.

Q : What do you think are your good and bad matchups?

A: White Weenie was clearly a problem, with first-strike, lifelink, burrenton, fast attack. RDW has a few good blockers. But postboard and the fact that I play less creatures and more burn spells help give me the edge in the matchup but it's still difficult. I like creature based decks, all of my numerous burn deals with them well. Green decks as well because they have no removal and nothing against fly/nothing that flies. The only exception is Faeries. It can be a hard matchup because of all its control aspects.

Q: What was your thought process of constructing the Sideboard (like why are certain cards in there and against what matchups)?

All control decks are a bad matchup. The worst is UW. I looked for something that could answer the Faeries/WW/Merfolk and other numerous creature decks. Volcanic Fallout was the best because it deals damage to players too and it is an instant. I also wanted something to kill Burrenton and other token decks (such as Spectral Procession), Ratchet Bomb is really good against them because it can be used to do many other things. Also, I needed something against those Cryptics and counters and Vexing Susher is still the best to annoy any control deck (or Faeries and all of its counters). Finally, RDW hates life gain. Everlasting [Torment] is the best and blocks all color protection.

----

Scars of Mirrodin seems to have had a big impact in this tourney, as each deck in the T3 contained quite a few cards from Scars. A new deck even emerged thanks to some new goodies from the expansion. Here is manachuel's UW Affinity :

UW Affinity

2nd - manachuel

Main Deck

4 Seachrome Coast
4 Mystic Gate
4 Plains
6 Island

3 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Master of Etherium
4 Etherium Sculptor
3 Grand Architect
3 Steel Overseer
4 Memnite
2 Ornithopter
4 Lodestone Golem
3 Trinket Mage
4 Etched Champion

4 Springleaf Drum
2 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Voltaic Key
1 Dispeller's Capsule

Sideboard :

2 Dispeller's Capsule
4 Thorn of Amethyst
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Path to Exile
3 Celestial Purge

Sadly I couldn't get an interview with him as he was not online, but I can offer some insight to the deck (since I lost to it in the T6). Just in case you were wondering, I ran Mythic Conscription (list at the end of the article)

This deck really is standard affinity. Creatures get big fast and before you know it you have 4/4 memnites swinging at you. Grand Architect is just amazing, it's ability to pump and generate you a lot of mana is awesome. Lodestone was generally annoying. It kept me from casting my Sovereigns of Lost Alara ever in that game and he forced me to chump block with my mana dudes.

TFalcon25 said, " It's incredibly fast, and with Springleaf Drum and Grand Architect a few Memnites start throwing down Turn 3 Lodestone Golems putting you a turn behind."

Overall, this was one of the most original decks I saw in the Trial and I feel it will have a big impact on the metagame on ML.

----

Next, we have the boogieman of Extended. The dreaded Faeries. But this isn't your normal Faeries deck. It splashes White and runs cards such as Celestial Colonnade, Tidehollow Sculler, and Path to Exile. Here is the list (piloted by TFalcon25)

UBw Faeries

3rd - TFalcon25

Main Deck:

4 Mutavault
2 Creeping Tar Pit
3 Celestial Colonnade
4 Reflecting Pool
4 Darkslick Shores
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Marsh Flats
4 Island
1 Swamp
1 Plains

3 Vendilion Clique
4 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Mistbind Clique
4 Tidehollow Sculler

4 Bitterblossom
4 Thoughtseize
4 Path to Exile
4 Mana Leak
4 Cryptic Command

Sideboard :

2 Sower of Temptation
3 Consume the Meek
4 Doom Blade
2 Duress
2 Sphinx of Jwar Isle
2 Negate

I managed to get an interview with Falcon!

Q: So what made you chose to pilot Faeries in Extended?

A: I felt like it gave me the best chance to win, with the control elements, and I think turn 1 Thoughtseize, turn 2 Bitterblossom is about as good as it gets.

Q: What made you decide to splash White in your build?

A: Having the utility of Path + Sculler makes the deck more versatile, keeping decks off their best cards without giving up too much to splash W. Plus you get the bonus of Colonnade without too much of a mana stretch.

Q: What do you think you best and worst matchups are?

A: RDW's best draw is hard to beat if you're on the draw, and Affinity's start can be really fast now with Memnite.

Q: Would you change anything about your Main Deck?

A: I would probably add more Tar Pits over the new dual from Scars, as I never really had any problems with too many tap lands even when I drew multiples.

Q: What was your thought process of constructing the SB (like why are certain cards in there and against what matchups)?

A: The SB was thrown together quickly, but the main reasons are Doom Blade vs Aggro where there is a must-answer threat on Turn 2 / 3, Duress, Negate and Sphinx vs Control, pretty standard stuff. I would probably find a replacement for Consume the Meek as it was too slow in the matchups I needed it (Affinity for one).

----
So, as I promised I said I'd include my Mythic Conscription list I decided to run for the Trial! Let's take a look :

// Lands
2 [ROE] Plains (4)
1 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
1 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
1 [WWK] Stirring Wildwood
2 [TE] Reflecting Pool
3 [FBP] Celestial Colonnade
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
3 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
2 [ALA] Island (2)
5 [SOM] Forest (2)
1 [WWK] Sejiri Steppe

// Creatures
4 [M11] Fauna Shaman
4 [8E] Birds of Paradise
4 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
3 [ARB] Sovereigns of Lost Alara

// Spells
4 [M11] Mana Leak
2 [ROE] Eldrazi Conscription
2 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 [ROE] Gideon Jura
1 [ARC] Path to Exile

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ARC] Path to Exile
SB: 2 [M10] Negate
SB: 3 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 3 [M10] Great Sable Stag
SB: 2 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 [CFX] Celestial Purge
SB: 2 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg

Basically I got the list from Razor. I took out 2 Explores and added Gideon & Path. The plan is simple. Run out a Conscription, swing, gg. Lotus Cobra is insane (when is it not) But srsly, Razor had times when he ran out a T3 Sovereigns.

I'm pretty comfortable with this deck. The 1 of Path & Gideon are probably not the best choice but I can't really think of something better right now.

The sideboard was were this deck shined. T2 Gaddock Teeg won me the game against U/R/G Scapeshift.

Sadly, I lost to UW Affinity (awesome deck if you haven't caught on yet). I'll definitely be running this in Extended for the rest of the year unless the next two sets in Scars block drastically affect Extended.

----

Anyways I would like to thank you all for reading this Tournament Report. It took me a while to write it so I really do appreciate it. Thanks for everyone that let me interview them and for TFalcon25 for hosting the Trial. Tell me if you liked my report and if there is anything I can do to improve. I want your opinions! Feel free to message me on the ML server (my nick is ivshapiro). Till then, adios!

P.S. I'll be doing a report for the Pauper Trial as well hopefully!
RazoR87

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, i made the same changes you did, we both did pretty descent with the list, and thnx for the teeg idea on the side Smile
RazoR87

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t2 teeg also won me game against that pili/architect deck where he couldn't get his DoJ, Cryptic, Banefire, and Mind Spring off
Nixus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a pretty stock Standard Mythic deck when it was still in standard. is it good enough to hold up in the new extended? Aside from a few sideboard, options, I'm not sure how well it would do, especially against cards like volcanic fallout.
Kamahl182

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool report.. xD
Gj!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1