Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site Suggestion

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Alandariel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Site Suggestion Reply with quote

Hello, I've been a member of this site for almost 5 years if my memory serves me right. I had to take an extended break after Lorwyn and just in the past few weeks have come back to the site. I was not aware of the bug that the Zendikar lands cause in M-L's security code generator or however it is done on-site, and was given a game loss in the first round of today's master due to this bug.

I'm not making this post to complain, though I have many gripes about how this game loss was awarded to me including sarcasm and disrespect from judges who I won't name, being ignored in #j4u multiple times, and other things that I would rather keep out of this topic. I'm not a vengeful person, what's done is done no matter how it was done. The point of this topic is to make a serious suggestion.

After this occurred, I searched up and down for this "well-known" bug which is apparently "all over the forums and site", but couldn't find it anywhere. Ludz in #j4u finally pointed me to a two-month-old article about the specific issue, which apparently I was expected to have read in the past week or so. I would just like to suggest that bugs like these which are valid and may cause repercussions to an uninformed player be posted visibly on the site and forums. I don't think it's too much to ask, and may eliminate a lot of drama that judges have to deal with in #j4u.

I also believe that the section of the penalty guidelines that refers to conflicting security codes should be made more specific as to when players are to be awarded a game loss. In my situation, I stopped before the game started and requested that my opponent wait until I check BOTH codes. When I realized that mine was inconsistent with my on-site representation I immediately agreed to go to #j4u to having the issue resolved. No cards had been drawn, no dice had been rolled... the was no reason whatsoever that I couldn't just switch out the lands in five seconds *tops* and restart the game. But I got a game loss for being uninformed. Again, I'm not complaining, the judges did their jobs according to the rules and that's understandable. I just believe that the guidelines should be a little clearer, if only so that players like me are sure to check their codes before entering the game with their opponent.

Thank you all for your time, and thanks to all of the judges who have successfully kept this site going strong for so long!
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I agree that this type of information should be easily available through some sort of guide. Maybe in Floor Rules document.

About getting a game loss even if you're the one pointing it out:

It used to be that it was only when game had begun a player received a game loss. Problem with that is that your opponent, even if he's noticing your code is incorrect before the game, will wait until he is losing a game (doesn't even have to be the first one) and then call it out.

This way, connecting is essentially presenting your deck, and security codes does have to match. It also doesn't let cheaters get away with just a "Oh, didnt notice, will change deck!".

I think that players overall need to be more careful about security codes, there's alot of players who never even check them.
Alandariel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks a bunch for the clarification there, Ludz. I was confused as to why it was like that, but now I see it's the same crap... M-L is forced to do something that hurts a majority of the public because of the actions of a couple of jerks. I understand that's not M-L's fault, it just stinks.
Freakaboom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love you alandariel.
niknight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy way to avoid this type of error is to do Tools --> get security code in MWS.
cogdill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thx niknight diddnt know you could do that, security codes were one of the biggest issues i had when first starting at m-l most of the time my deck had too many or not enough cards. i learned the hard way to check my deck at least 2x before saving or entering into a tourney but im going check out that tool thx again niknight =)
Alandariel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niknight wrote:
An easy way to avoid this type of error is to do Tools --> get security code in MWS.

Very true and good plan, I will do so from now on. However this doesn't solve everyone's cases; only those who are proactive enough to do (or even think of) this can benefit. That's why I believe these rules and bug reports should be made very public and noticeable on the site so that it doesn't happen to other people.
Dooby12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if we can just change the rule about what to do when time runs out(maybe doing what they ACTUALLY do at ACTUAL magic tournaments instead of favoring aggro decks),then maybe everything would be better.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, the checking of your security code is listed in the How to Start Guide:

Quote:
Once you have completed signing up, your deck will be shown on screen along with details about you in the tournament. It is important that the security code for your deck in your play application matches at least one of the security codes provided to you at registration by the site. If it doesn’t match, then it is important that you contact a judge in #judges4you on IRC and have the issue addressed. It is your responsibility to make sure your security code matches prior to the beginning of the tournament.

This is why it's important to make sure your security code matches before the tournament begins. If it doesn't, then we can fix the issue without penalty before the tournament begins Smile
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1