Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ROE Launch Party, and a Funny Pack Wars Story

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
Kienan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: ROE Launch Party, and a Funny Pack Wars Story Reply with quote

I went to the launch party for ROE today, and had a lot of fun. Fortune favored me this time, unlike at the prerelease, and I went 2-0-1 in my pod (split for first), and netted four packs. I played Rw weenie type deck. I don't have the full decklist here, although I may update later. The highlights were two Brimstone Mages (I take back every nasty thing I said about you! Razz), Soulsurge Elemental, and Eldrazi Conscription. Only actually played the Conscription once, but it was fun. Those Brimstone Mages were kicking ass, though!

Anyway, I decided to play pack wars with the prize packs, since it's more interesting. I'd never done it before, but I'd read about it, and wanted to try it out. If you don't know, pack wars is where each player opens a booster pack face down (removing the token/tip, of course), and mixes in three of each basic land. So you end up with a thirty card deck...and have no clue what's in it. Quite fun, although very luck dependent, of course. Extremely casual format, obviously. Wink

Still, it's interesting, and a fun way to open a pack. Anyway, one pack was crazy good. It was a decent U/W level up deck, straight out of the pack, it was amazing. Ikiral Outrider, Knight of Cliffhaven, Halimar Wavewatch, and others. It was really good, and it was interesting to open such a convenient pack. A Venerated Teacher would have really topped it off.

Sorry, I realize this isn't actually such an interesting story after all. I'm quite tired, and I simply found it interesting, and thought I'd share. I've never played pack wars before, so I have no clue how common that is, but it blew me away to open a decent limited deck in a single pack. Quite fun.

As was the launch party itself. I'm glad I did well, and I'm really liking the format. Lots of freedom to draft in different ways and still have it be viable. Red is powerful, blue is powerful, white is powerful, green is powerful...I haven't played black yet, but it has some great stuff too. I like the slower format so far, since you don't have to build an aggro deck to win, which you pretty much had to do for ZZW. I plan to go to as many drafts as I can make it to/afford.

How's everyone else liking the cards/format?
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really read the whole of that, but from what I can see, you've had a great time.

I'm glad you had such a good time, especially with the number of people who have claimed that they do not like the set or its mechanics.

Keep up the good work!
LordLink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack Wars is so much more fun if you forego the basic land.

You start with 2 cards, you can only play 1 spell per turn and everything costs 0 mana. You can activate abilities twice per turn, x=2, no-one mills out.
Kienan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordLink wrote:

You start with 2 cards, you can only play 1 spell per turn and everything costs 0 mana. You can activate abilities twice per turn, x=2, no-one mills out.

Interesting, I'll try it out, thanks!
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordLink wrote:

\

seems kinda lame when some 1 could go turn 1 emerakal then take another turn etc
>.<
Kienan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaTiVa wrote:
\

seems kinda lame when some 1 could go turn 1 emerakal then take another turn etc
>.<

Yeah, I realized before I tried it that it might be nice for other sets, I don't know, but for ROE it would be ridiculous, and not at all playable.

Turn 1: Wildheart Invoker.
Turn 2: Double pump, swing for 14.

or

Turn 1: Ulamog's Crusher. Win. 0_o'

The Invokers and the Eldrazi make it completely unworkable in this instance, sadly.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1