Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UWB Artifact

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlillo wrote:
I see, i had sculptor and master before i changed them cause i really didnt draw much into them never got to use them but, i was looking for something the gave me some control so i ended up with shield mage and canonist, although you might be right, a recurent problem in my deck has been that i have nothing to play until turn 4 or 5.

In divination and capsules respect, i was trying to find something to speed the deck up, honestly i dont know if jaces it, cause i dont like giving the oponents card advantage at the same time, i will try it non the less.

I had fabricate also, i was just trying to get more monsters to defend myself, i guess in the process of covering weakness i cover some too much i ended up with holes elsewhere.

Ill try your suggestions, but i think you gave me some perspective on the changes i made and my old deck i guess each change made it worst.

This is how you use Jace:

If the opponent have creatures on the battlefield and/or are playing red, you use your first priority with Jace - right after he resolves - to add +2 counters so that he goes to 5 Loyalty. After that, go -1 until he dies or you draw another one.

If the opponent does not have creatures on the battlefield and does not play red, use the -1 ability right away and only use the +2 ability if you don't have another jace in hand.

If your starting hand has two Jace, use the -1 ability right away.

About your deck, Esper Artifacts isn't very good. It is a quite streamlined deck to begin with, though, so at FNM level it should be able to win some games if you play correctly (so it is not a bad beginner deck). Generally, I see that you have few instants in there and that is a bad thing. Another thing I notice is that Open the Vault is easily your best play!

So here's my advice:

You need 24 lands if you are going to play Master Transmuter, Open the Vaults and friends. I like that you have a symmetrical manabase (it reduces bad colours in opening hand), so keep that and add +1 of each basic land.

Sphinx Summoner comes into play AFTER you play Transmuter and is not very good without Transmuter so that is why you should take it out. Darksteel Colossus does not work with Open the Vaults and should be cut. Sen Triplets isn't very good and doesn't fit the theme. Shieldmage and Canonist are weak cards. There are better things to cast/transmute than Adjudicator.

Esper Charm is better than Divination and a must in this deck. Into the Roil isn't very good, and Essence Scatter is a sideboard card.

so, -4 Shieldmage, -4 Canonist, -1 Colossus, -1 Sen Triplets, -1 Adjudicator, -4 Divination, -1 Courier's Capsule, -4 Into the Roil, -2 Essence Scatter, -2 Scourglass (24 cards)

+1 island, +1 swamp, +1 plains
+4 Tidehollow Sculler, +1 Sharuum, +2 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
+4 Path to Exile, +4 Esper Charm, 3 Agony Warp, +3 Jace (24 cards)

Sideboard:
4 Flashfreeze
3 Brave the Elements
2 Identity Crisis
3 Duress
3 Day of Judgement

One problem you will face now is that Master Transmuter will be almost certainly killed because you have less creatures in play. Tidehollow Sculler helps, because it eats one removal usually (initially because he removes one, then because they kill it with one to get it back). On the other hand, the spells you have now allows you to play the more controllish game you wanted.

Do NOT be afraid to trade your creatures with theirs in combat! The draw capability (Charm, Jace, Capsule) and card advantage you got with Open the Vaults, Sharuum and Agony Warp is only surpassed by Jund in Standard.

P.s Scourglass is a game-winning move when followed by Sharuum or Open the Vaults. If after testing this there are any two cards you feel you can take out for it, you should probably do so!
Bantos86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
P.s Scourglass is a game-winning move when followed by Sharuum or Open the Vaults. If after testing this there are any two cards you feel you can take out for it, you should probably do so!

Well, you advised that Sphinx Summoner should be cut, but didn't actually cut it from the deck in your version, so why not cut them for 2 Scourglass and whatever two other cards?

Quote:
Sphinx Summoner comes into play AFTER you play Transmuter and is not very good without Transmuter so that is why you should take it out.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ive fought jund and i know theyll sqaush me

Not exactly. Using Vedrfolner's changes and a few of my own I've been doing well against Jund so far. Still testing though.

Quote:
i do love transmuter but as you said is just a cute trick, and im tired of her slownes already,rarely i get her in my hand and even if i do i have to get another monster that can actually do something on the field, and it never works cause people always have monster removal.

True. I've already cut her from my version and stuck her in the SB until I find something better for those slots.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bantos86 wrote:
Quote:

Well, you advised that Sphinx Summoner should be cut, but didn't actually cut it from the deck in your version, so why not cut them for 2 Scourglass and whatever two other cards?

Quote:
Sphinx Summoner comes into play AFTER you play Transmuter and is not very good without Transmuter so that is why you should take it out.

oops - forgot Sphinx Summoner! That would leave space for 2 Scourglass and 2 other cards yes. Towering Gargoyle could be handy. Of course, they could also be 4 Sculptors.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Towering Gargoyle could be handy. Of course, they could also be 4 Sculptors.

Gargoyle is a definite possibility as a solid attacker. EDIT: I should look at prior posts to see if cards I don't know are mentioned. Sculptors would work too.

My list so far:

Creatures
3 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
2 Sharuum the Hegemon
4 Tidehollow Sculler

Spells
4 Esper Charm
4 Path to Exile
3 Jace Beleren
3 Scourglass
3 Agony Warp
3 Open the Vaults
3 Courier's Capsule
4 Day of Judgment

Lands
4 Arcane Sanctum
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Island
4 Plains
4 Swamp

Sideboard
3 Duress
4 Flashfreeze
3 Brave the Elements
2 Identity Crisis
3 Celestial Purge
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a less controllish version:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [ALA] Arcane Sanctum
4 [M10] Drowned Catacomb
4 [M10] Glacial Fortress
4 [M10] Plains (4)
5 [M10] Island (1)
4 [M10] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
4 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
4 [CFX] Master Transmuter
3 [ALA] Tower Gargoyle
2 [ALA] Sharuum the Hegemon
2 [ARB] Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 [CFX] Inkwell Leviathan

// Spells
3 [M10] Jace Beleren
3 [ALA] Courier's Capsule
2 [M10] Open the Vaults
4 [ALA] Esper Charm
3 [ALA] Agony Warp
4 [CFX] Path to Exile

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
SB: 3 [M10] Duress
SB: 3 [ZEN] Brave the Elements
SB: 2 [ARB] Identity Crisis

Edit: Day of Judgement could easily be replaced with Deft Duelists, Vedalken Outlander or Wall of Denial against aggro (which is predominantly red)
Bantos86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:
Here is a less controllish version:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [ALA] Arcane Sanctum
4 [M10] Drowned Catacomb
4 [M10] Glacial Fortress
4 [M10] Plains (4)
5 [M10] Island (1)
4 [M10] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
4 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
4 [CFX] Master Transmuter
3 [ALA] Tower Gargoyle
2 [ALA] Sharuum the Hegemon
2 [ARB] Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 [CFX] Inkwell Leviathan

// Spells
3 [M10] Jace Beleren
3 [ALA] Courier's Capsule
2 [M10] Open the Vaults
4 [ALA] Esper Charm
3 [ALA] Agony Warp
4 [CFX] Path to Exile

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
SB: 3 [M10] Duress
SB: 3 [ZEN] Brave the Elements
SB: 2 [ARB] Identity Crisis

Edit: Day of Judgement could easily be replaced with Deft Duelists, Vedalken Outlander or Wall of Denial against aggro (which is predominantly red)

Looks like a solid list to me.

I had forgotten about Wall of Denial and the like. I'll test them later.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSNACKSx wrote:
Honestly if you like blue you could always just run mono blue, sphinx of jwar isle, living tsunami, rite of replication and 1-2 of gargoyle castle could be your win cons. and then counter/bounce/draw for the rest of your spells.

Mono-Blue is too weak anymore. A any deck running green could rape it with Great Sable Stag. Blue's been too far nerfed to be a standalone color.
cerka6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the borderpost artifacts instead of drowned catacomb and glacial fortress. they still mana fix and give you extra artifacts to play with using transmuter.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmj1980 wrote:
what about the borderpost artifacts instead of drowned catacomb and glacial fortress. they still mana fix and give you extra artifacts to play with using transmuter.

Borderposts are not lands and should not be used in place of lands. Period.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2