Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U/W Control for Dec. 5th States

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: U/W Control for Dec. 5th States Reply with quote

My first disclaimer: I have no baneslayer angels. I know this severely limits how my deck can change after side boarding.

After testing I feel like I have a good match up against jund (70/30), about 55/45 against jacerator, 60/40 against boros, 45/55 against eldrazi green, and 50/50 against vamps.

What changes should I make to this deck before states? What match-ups should I watch out for most and how should I board against decks for which I have a bad match-up? Any criticism or comments would help. Thanks.

Decklist:
// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
8 [MI] Island (2)
7 [U] Plains (3)
4 [M10] Glacial Fortress
4 [ZEN] Sejiri Refuge
2 [M10] Gargoyle Castle
1 [ALA] Arcane Sanctum

// Creatures
3 [ZEN] Sphinx of Jwar Isle
3 [ARB] Wall of Denial

// Spells
4 [LRW] Jace Beleren
3 [M10] Negate
4 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
4 [CFX] Path to Exile
3 [ZEN] Cancel
2 [M10] Mind Spring
1 [CFX] Martial Coup
2 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
1 [M10] Pithing Needle
4 [ZEN] Spreading Seas

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [M10] Celestial Purge
SB: 2 [M10] Essence Scatter
SB: 2 [ZEN] Luminarch Ascension
SB: 3 [ZEN] Devout Lightcaster
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test against Andre Coimbra's Naya deck. I hear it just won Worlds, and you'll probably want a good plan to beat that deck.
Kurtgrunge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put in maindeck 4 skwute mobbbbb and 4 SB and you will have no problems with no baneslayer Very Happy
Kamperfoelie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonproject wrote:
Test against Andre Coimbra's Naya deck. I hear it just won Worlds, and you'll probably want a good plan to beat that deck.

that deck is trash!
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I feel like I can beat that Naya deck pretty easily.... It's not really that good unless it's playing against jund. xD
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After testing I feel like I have a good match up against jund (70/30), about 55/45 against jacerator, 60/40 against boros, 45/55 against eldrazi green, and 50/50 against vamps.

How much have you tested? I can't see this deck having a over 2 to 1 advantage over Jund, and I can't see it beating Boros like ever.
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested online with magic league people and a few friends for about 2 weeks. I've played about 140 matches with the deck. It depends on the version of jund. The one with seige-gang and mind rots obviously gives me more of a problem. Spreading seas usually helps me stall for a while against jund and a sphinx is pretty gg-esque if it comes out early enough.

Boros is actually pretty easy to beat. One of my friends plays boros so I've tested a LOT against that in real life. A path, purge, wall of denial, doj, sphinx is pretty dang good against boros. Even missing a few of those, it still usually gets the job done. Spreading seas isn't super useful against boros if they use their fetches right, but it can still screw them over sometimes.
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, a deck that won worlds and is designed by BDM and Mike Flores is trash Rolling Eyes

Even if you believe it is a good matchup, do yourself a favor and take testing seriously. Test against everything you can; don't make the mistake of assuming something is a good matchup or no one will show up with it.
Thanik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've tested 140 games, you shouldn't 'feel' like you have x-y vs the top matchups, you should be keeping a record as soon as it proves it's worth testing seriously. Like the man said, 70-30 jund is hard to swallow.
thenorris316

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamperfoelie wrote:
jonproject wrote:

that deck is trash!

So is vampires, but people still run it.
+3 sphinx of lost truths.
MaksymGryn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flashfreeze is probably the best counterspell in the format, almost every deck runs green and red cards and it just rapes naya, jund, bushwacker etc..
kikooo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you expect to see the Dredge deck you might want Relic of Progenitus in sb for it. Right now I think your deck is a bye for it. Initially I thought that Spreading Seas hoses the Dredge deck, but it doesn't at all.
kumagmd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telemin Performance. If you draw and cast it against another control deck, you have a chance of using (if not owning, haha) a Baneslayer!
SJM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to states I would take a mono-red deck from the last master. Probably the one with quenchable flames main deck.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2