Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PlowerFower writing

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
Gerrardfo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: PlowerFower writing Reply with quote

plowerFower wrote:
Herbert "Red" Avery was born in Philadelphia on March 14, 1936. He lived a fairly normal life until he left home at age 13. His parents were split up and he hitchiked to New Hampshire to be closer to his father. Red graduated at 17. At 17 he was to young to legally join the service but lied about his age and had his father sign the papers. Red officially enlisted in the marine core in 1953. Red sent all the money he earned from the marine core back to his mother in pennsylvania. He earned spending money ironing clothes and playing cards. He played poker and penuckle well enough to buy his girl back home a beautiful necklace...which he later lost...in a poker game. "The only game I remember losing" Red answered when i questioned him about his poker skills. After he got out of the service in 1956, he moved to Cleveland where he worked with his brothers. He was making 600-700$ a week when he got married. He and his new wife moved to New Hampshire. Times were hard as Red had ataken a severe pay cut..to 39$ a week. He worked for a company called "Maysay and Nickles" for twelve years before becoming the self employed carpenter he is today.

In the 60's communism seemed to be a huge threat to the United States. Nuclear warfare also seemed an inevitable fate. The Space Race was important because the first country in space could be the first country to hide weapons there.
Red believes the space program is "the biggest wate of money there ever was. He belives the money could be better spent on a nation health care plan. "If Canada can do it, why can't we."

The Cold War was a scary time for many americans. Both Russia and the United States had nuclear weapons and the tension was high. Many americans were taught emergency bombing drills which involved getting under you desk.
When I asked Red if he was ever scared during the Cold War he said he never payed much attention to it. He had his own problems to deal with such as marriage and children. He also felt the United States was to powerful to be attacked. "The Cold War never bothered me, I firmly believe the United States has the weapons to inihilate any country in the world."

The Korean War was a police act initiated by the United States to prevent the spread of communism. It was containment. Many americans feel the Korean War was not a war that needed to be fought.
Red was enlisted during the Korean War but never served in Korea. He believes the Korean War was very unnessessary. Red feels the United States is to powerful to fall to communism. Red believes the United States is too nosy a country.

The Vietnam War like the Korean War was to stop the spread of communism. It was a bloody war where ground fighting was almost entirely guerilla warfare. The Vietnam War was protested strongly against. Most americans believed we didn't need to be in Vietnam War. The fact that the war was televised added even more reason to protest.
When I asked Red if there was any event that stuck out in his mind in the last 50 years, he told me it was the Vietnam War. "All that war was, was dope." "The worst war the U.S. was ever involved in, it was disgusting."

Watergate was a turning point in history because before Watergate, there was much less distrust in the government. Watergate showed us that even the people who seem to have America's best interests in mind can ebd up being corrupt. During the time it was happening alot of american's didn't belive Nixon was involved.
I asked ed if he ever distrusted the government before watergate. "Never trusted the government before watergate. Didn't trust the government after watergate, but i feel watergate is overrated. Nixon was a very good presidant." When asked about Ford's pardon of nixon he replied "A very good move."
kikimikejiki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm yes every government is corrupt even the candian one ..ye si admit it but its the choices the presidents make is what affects us *cough* george bush
plowerfower
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...where'd you get this haha?
coolcreep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first thought is spellcheck, my second is 'so what?'
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1