Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is legacy so unpopular on here?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks
JohnRohan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Why is legacy so unpopular on here? Reply with quote

There seems to be a huge lack of interest for the legacy format on Magic league. Right now, on the legacy forum, there are only 32 postingsand 273 replies. Even the forum just on Alara Block constructed has more than that. Don't even mention T2, which has almost 4000 topics with over 43000 replies!

Kind of similar for the chatroom, 90% of people want to play T2. Does anyone know why?

I burned out of T2 about 10 years ago - when I made a kickass Saproling token deck. Then very quickly, the key cards were rotated out of standard. I was kind of poor at the time, and thought, "wtf??" I need to buy all new cards again?? This is just WotC's way of forcing me to pay, pay, pay... So I said, screw this, and went to Extended (I don't think there was a legacy format at that time). I was never interested in Type 1, since the power 9 seemed just too powerful for a fair match.

And with MWS, legacy is only better - you don't have to worry about what the cards cost at all (although I own all the cards to the decks I play).

Why do so few people realize that this is the best format? Is it WotC keeping it down? Do we need to advertise more?
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on ML to practise decks I intend to use IRL. I see little point in Practising Legacy because IRL (In my area anyways) there's very few Legacy tournaments and Legacy isn't supported as much by Wizards.

I also don't own a lot of Legacy cards so it would cost a lot to get into the format if I managed to make a decent deck.

I do play extended and that's because after years of playing T2, I just naturally own a lot of the extended cards. I'm sure eventually IRL there will be a pseudo MYOS format, or a format between Extended and Legacy that I could start playing but that hasn't happened yet.

So it's not that I don't like Legacy, I just don't see any point in playing it. I'm guessing that this is the reason so few people play it on ML, but I can only speak for myself. From what I hear it is a good format though.

Sometimes I take my extended deck and join a Legacy mini just for fun but really, I'll never be able to beat an experienced Legacy player doing that.
JohnRohan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
I play on ML to practise decks I intend to use IRL. I see little point in Practising Legacy because IRL (In my area anyways) there's very few Legacy tournaments and Legacy isn't supported as much by Wizards.

And that's just the point. T2 is the format where people have to constantly keep buying cards, like a rat running in a wheel. So Wizards only nominally supports Legacy, Vintage, and Extended. But if people demanded more tournaments in the other formats, then Wizards would have to follow suit. I know the interest is there; the Chicago GP last March was Legacy format and about twice as many people showed up as expected.
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mostly because I'm not online enough to host the tournaments and other judges do it precious little. Sorry.
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRohan wrote:
Jacois wrote:

And that's just the point. T2 is the format where people have to constantly keep buying cards, like a rat running in a wheel. So Wizards only nominally supports Legacy, Vintage, and Extended. But if people demanded more tournaments in the other formats, then Wizards would have to follow suit. I know the interest is there; the Chicago GP last March was Legacy format and about twice as many people showed up as expected.

If T2 dies, magic dies, that includes Legacy. I would suggest you bite the bullet and play both rather than try to convince T2 players to play Legacy.
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
If T2 dies, magic dies, that includes Legacy. I would suggest you bite the bullet and play both rather than try to convince T2 players to play Legacy.

Wizards seems way too business-savvy to not make the switch if T2 suddenly plunges in popularity. Just, their brainwashing has worked pretty well, as is apparent by the number of people playing T2 right now.
Shooter
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuz the format is terrible (if ppl didn't agree with me legacy minis wouldn't take 15 mins to fill AT LEAST)
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooter wrote:
Cuz the format is terrible (if ppl didn't agree with me legacy minis wouldn't take 15 mins to fill AT LEAST)

Well, this is mostly the opinion of uneducated masses or people who choose to dislike the format for all the wrong reasons. It's much the same as why so many like Standard; they don't know any better. Precious few people have actually articulated any kinds of dislike towards the deckpool or such, and they are definitely a minority (just see the Legacy GP attendances vs. other formats; they've fared pretty damn well across the board).
totolcc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the format, like the techs, but i can't even begin imagine ppl playing combos, ichorid and etc in mws... and that being i don't try...

But i'm not also a t2 fanatic that rushes to every single mini of the format, i'm more a RFT. MYOS, BYOB, Tribal, Sealed kind of guy...

With that said, ppl don't play legacy 'cause there's no advertising like u said, and even if there was and if ppl began liking it and start playing irl they'd eventually spend some major cash in a deck they would play once a year in a fnm...

Playing t2 in mws for a lot of ppl here, is the only chance to play like the pros and their non-budget friendly decks....
Shooter
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldariel wrote:
Shooter wrote:

Well, this is mostly the opinion of uneducated masses or people who choose to dislike the format for all the wrong reasons. It's much the same as why so many like Standard; they don't know any better. Precious few people have actually articulated any kinds of dislike towards the deckpool or such, and they are definitely a minority (just see the Legacy GP attendances vs. other formats; they've fared pretty damn well across the board).

I like MYOS,precon wars,pauper and tribal. It's not cuz it's DIFFERENT, it's cuz the format is simply bad. Ofc you may like it, but it's not cuz u like it and other don't that the others are wrong.
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooter wrote:
I like MYOS,precon wars,pauper and tribal. It's not cuz it's DIFFERENT, it's cuz the format is simply bad. Ofc you may like it, but it's not cuz u like it and other don't that the others are wrong.

Of course peoples' opinions are wrong! What kind of a world are you living in, one with freedom of thought? That's so 1900s. You must think like everyone else, or report to extermination chambers.

Seriously though, how can you hate a format where friggin' Mangara of Corondor sees competitive play? But yeah, I did say "precious few"; you may have valid reasons for disliking the formats and I'll respect that. Just, majority of people saying "Legacy sucks" pretty much just complain that "games end turn 1" (not true), "XYZ is overpowered" (not true), "it's dominated by a really narrow bunch of decks" (not true) or that "cards are hard to get" (might be true if you don't have internet access, but Ebay pretty much makes it a non-issue). Makes one rather skeptical towards any naysayers.
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legacy is fun cause playing t2 ext etc wtv the ptq season is boring after a while and sometimes you need a break and have fun playing with old cards. the store i go to has bigger legacy/t1 tournaments than any other format so i geuss it just depends on your local area, i know in europe they have huge legacy tournaments so maybe it has to do with card distribution in certain areas also
CalebD
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legacy is not even close to being as expensive as T2.
JohnRohan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalebD wrote:
Legacy is not even close to being as expensive as T2.

Amen. In Legacy, once you buy your cards, you can use them forever (except in the very rare case a particular card is banned from Magic).

In T2, you buy your cards. Then a few months later you buy them again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. Repeat ad nauseum (except you're not allow to use the card 'Ad Nauseum', since it's rotated out Wink ).

People who think Legacy is more expensive than T2 are either brand new to the game or have a problem with simple math.
Desensitizer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not as many Legacy forums on the internet that have serious discussion on current decks, while T2 is seen all the time in current decks and many people play it at FNM's. mtgthesource.com is one of, if not the best Legacy forums. Also, when people are not limited by budget and don't know much about either format, I'd assume Vintage is more appealing because of the thought of using cards you can never afford.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2