Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BG Rock.... Still playable??? i think so!!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks
Blinkoath182

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: BG Rock.... Still playable??? i think so!! Reply with quote

hey everyone,

its been a while since ive seen a Rock deck around, so i made one and have been testing it out the past couple of days. Heres the list:

Lands:

Bayou x4
Bloodstained Mire x4
Twilight Mire x4
Swamp x5
Forest x2

Creatures:

Wall of Blossoms x4
Hypnotic Specter x4
Tarmogoyf x4
Birds of Paradise x3
Dark Confidant x3
Spiritmonger x2

Spells:

Maelstrom Pulse x4
Dark Ritual x4
Hymn to Tourach x
Duress x3
Pernicious Deeds x3
Sensei's Divining Top x2

***SB***
Pernicious Deeds x1
Vexing Shusher x4
Duress x1
Thoughtseize x4
Cranial Extraction x3
Mutilate x2

idk, everythings pretty self explanitory. anyone have anything to say? plz share and help out =)
Spyx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing GBW rock for quite some time now, piloted it to a 6-3 record on GP chicago (one win short of day 2). The white gives you acces to vindicate, which is still a lot better then pulse. Also canonist from the side is great for the ANT matchup, as discard just doesn't get there against the EOT mystical tutor draw.

I run a bit land heavy without wastelands, because all the decks needs is to reach the mid-long game and then your cards are just stronger then those off the opponent, and you have removal for every threat he plays.

Counterbalance isn't a problem, because you either make him discard it, you proactively own it with pridemage, or you destroy it with vindicate/deed. Deed is great against cb/top decks, dreadstill and goblins when you're on the play.
The decks main weakness is moon effects and back to basics, but there's a few basic lands in there that you can fetch in advance if you know you're up against a deck running them.
Rock is kind of an allround deck. You can beat any deck, but you can also lose against pretty much anything. Only dreadstill and countertop decks are really good matchups. Zoo and goblins are slighly worse but still winnable.

// Lands
2 [UNH] Swamp
1 [SH] Volrath's Stronghold
4 [B] Bayou
1 [UNH] Forest
1 [B] Savannah
3 [B] Scrubland
3 [ON] Polluted Delta
1 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
4 [ON] Windswept Heath
1 [UNH] Plains
2 [FNM] Treetop Village

// Creatures
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
2 [FD] Eternal Witness
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
2 [FUT] Tombstalker
3 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage

// Spells
4 [AP] Vindicate
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (1)
4 [FNM] Swords to Plowshares
3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
3 [AP] Pernicious Deed

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [AP] Pernicious Deed
SB: 4 [TE] Choke
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 4 [SHM] Faerie Macabre
SB: 3 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
Blinkoath182

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Engrishskill: I wasnt saying that it was dead =X just decided to say something because it hasnt been in my meta for a long while now

@Spyx: I know Vindicate is powerful, i was just trying to utilize the BG aspect =X haha the way Rock used to be back in the day. I like the deck though, ill consider changing it over to BGW. I changed the decklist after Engrishskill commented, here is the current list

BG Rock

**Lands**

Bayou x4
Bloodstained Mire x4
Forest x2
Treetop Village x4
Polluted Delta x3
Swamp x4
Windswept Heath x4

**Creatures**
Hypnotic Specter x4
Dark Confidant x4
Tarmogoyf x4
Tombstalker x2

**Spells**
Maelstrom Pulse x4
Dark Ritual x4
Duress x4
Thoughtseize x4
Pernicious Deeds x3
Sensei's Divining Top x2

*SB**
Pernicious Deeds x1
Cranial Extraction x3
Vexing Shusher x4
Krosan Grip x4
Mutilate x2
Everlasting Torment x1
Spyx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he's trying to say is you need to have a gameplan, try and be aggressive in the early game or go more for drawn out games.
Dark ritual gives card disadvantage in exchange for temp, while deed and top give you card advantage and quality, but they slow you down. Therefore deed and top should not be played in the same deck as dark ritual.

My deck is more of a slower version focussing on the mid-long game. A deck like that is great for homebrew lists. If you want to play aggresively with rituals and specters just netdeck eva green really, it's pretty much the best aggressive GB list out there.
Blinkoath182

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kno what you guys are trying to get at. Idk, im tryin to do a homebrew of the two. I kno it can work out =X just gatta work at it haha. Everyone plays the same shit nowadays, always netdecking. Just trying to keep things in my own taste =O
Blinkoath182

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, all you do man is bash,bash,bash, and throw deck lists at me.

ive been playing this game for 11 years adn 1.5 has been my format every since is started

yes, the i dont completely understand the meta atm cuz i just started playing about about a month or 2 ago.

when i ask for help id like specifics with reasons

no decklists and no demoralizing messeges telling me how i kno nothing XD

btw, i wasnt arguing to preserve a 'terrible' deck. if you notice i changed the deck considerably after your first comment and never said 2 words againts it <<
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1