Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esper - Breaking Master Transmuter

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
prodiG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Esper - Breaking Master Transmuter Reply with quote

An Esper Midrange deck is an idea I've been toying around with in my head for awhile now. The general idea I had was to use cards like Master of Etherium, Etherium Sculptor, Master Transmuter, and Tezzeret the Seeker to overpower the opponent, using the Transmuter to drop things into play like Sphinx of the Steel Wind (A-Chrome-a), Sen Triplets, Platinum Angel, Grim Poppet, Filligree Angel can generate mass life gain, Sharuum to create recursion, Sphinx Summoner to toolbox, and finally Scultping Steel to give the deck an 8-of kind of feel when needed.
Borderposts can effectively work as artifact dual lands, except that they come into play tapped, but are good fodder for tezzeret to untap.

Anyway, with that creature toolbox setup tuned to your metagame needs, I would simply pack the rest of the deck up with a shield of counterspells to use conservatively when your opponent plays a threat (like you do with counterspells <Very Happy) and some white removal. (I'm looking at you, Path to Exile)
I especially like this one:

Quote:
Soul Manipulation
1ub
Instant Common
Choose one or both - Counter target creature spell; and/or return target creature card in your graveyard to your hand.
#29/145

The problem I can see with this deck is it's options when you DON'T draw into a Transmuter, or they manage to deal with it, or the deck is flat out too slow. I can't think of any relevant one-drops other than Thoughtseize or Ponder.
Anyway, here's a rough list:

//Land - 17 (+6 Borderposts)
3 Sunken Ruins
3 Underground River
4 Reflecting Pool (This might actually be a bad idea in this deck...)
2 Blue/White Filter Land
2 Blue/White Painland
2 Island
1 Swamp

//Spells
3 U/B Borderpost
3 U/W Borderpost

4 Etherium Sculptor
4 Master of Etherium
4 Master Transmuter
3 Tezzeret the Seeker
3 Sculpting Steel

4 Soul Manipulation
4 Cryptic Command (or some other counterspell)
2 Path to Exile

2 Sphinx Summoner
2 Filligree Angel
2 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 Grim Poppet
1 Sen Triplets
1 Sharuum the Hegemon

Sideboard would include things like Infest for Faeries and Kithkin, Thoughtseize for Control, etc.

VERY Rough list, no testing.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
prodiG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arch_Raziel wrote:
You dont need to 'break' master transmuter. it's already broken. Unfortunately, because of its obscenely high theoretical power level, any deck that CAN kill it/remove it/counter it, WILL do so, which makes decks based around it bad.

Hence the counterspells. I think I might agree with OJPrime though. a much more control-heavy variant may prove to be more sucessful than an aggro version...
alvaro202

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Esper - Breaking Master Transmuter Reply with quote

prodiG wrote:

//Land - 17 (+6 Borderposts)
3 Sunken Ruins
3 Underground River
4 Reflecting Pool (This might actually be a bad idea in this deck...)
2 Blue/White Filter Land
2 Blue/White Painland
2 Island
1 Swamp

//Spells
3 U/B Borderpost
3 U/W Borderpost

4 Etherium Sculptor
4 Master of Etherium
4 Master Transmuter
3 Tezzeret the Seeker
3 Sculpting Steel

4 Soul Manipulation
4 Cryptic Command (or some other counterspell)
2 Path to Exile

2 Sphinx Summoner
2 Filligree Angel
2 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 Grim Poppet
1 Sen Triplets
1 Sharuum the Hegemon

This deck will perpetually loose against aggro before master transmuter will recover from summoning sickness, AKA before you actually do anything. You will have to determine the mid - range combo that you want your deck to work around, like master transmuter into a-chrome-a followed by sculpting steels for fun, and the rest of the deck needs to stabilize your field using counters, removal and WoGs.

Don't make you deck with etherium sculpturs in it, you will keep hands that you think will work until he gets killed and then your stuck at 3 mana with nothing but 4 - 7 cost cards in hand. He is also way to susceptible to removal, so is master transmuter. They all screem volcanic fallout my deck, please I built it just so I could never have card advantage against decks that play red.

You need 4 mindstones to get into your 4 curve earlier, and you need your 4 curve to be cards like Wrath and Cryptic. You mana base must also be able to power the 2WW and 1UUU that both of these cards will need. Also reveillark may be a good idea to bring back transmuter, as shew ill be killed constantly.

You have the 4 curve option listed above, or you can lower your curve and go even more esper lark with tidehollow sculler, meddling mage, remove soul, esper charm and of course, reveilark. You however seem interested in this combo concept, just don't be disappointed when it gets shut down without to much strain from your opponent.
Triggers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you can only bounce BASIC lands with border post!
prodiG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triggers wrote:
Also, you can only bounce BASIC lands with border post!
FACK!
k screw this deck
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1