Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving ML

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Saving ML Reply with quote

From what I understand, Magic-league will be going through some fundamental changes due to a cease and desist (C&D) order from WotC.

I do not want this to happen.

What needs to be done to ensure this does not happen?

If anyone reading this knows about copyright issues, C&D orders, or has any insight into what is going on here, please post your thoughts and opinions.

Together, we can save ML.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you said you were going to make a thread where you asked to take on the liability so you could fight it in court.
GoneBananas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wi11 h4x0r /\/\4gIc 4nd fix der n00b15hne55
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is MTG-Temple getting shut down too? Cuz if not thats pretty unfair Razz
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let m-l die, if you need to test just play single matches i dont understand its not that big of a deal. theyre just stopping tournaments m-l isnt rly going to go down, just less noobs.
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best legal defence is the "why us/me".

Why Magic-League and not ChannelFireball or TheManaDrain?
Both sites are or have been run by folks from Pro Tour! Heck Star City Games even charges for articals one Magic: The Gathering. So why Magic-League and not them. All you have to do is prove a tie between Pro Tour or DCI and the Non-Wizards of the Coast websites. You know that I am right on the head with this one.

Also Wizards at one time hinted at going after shops that sale only singles. (Read as post 6th ED pre 7th AKA the worst time for Magic ever!)

I also think that if you are outside of the USA then what are they really going to do?

Someone post a poll. I also only came back to Magic: The Gathering due to a way to test my decks more quickly then proxies.. Yes I have spent money on drafting. I never have bought packs after Ice Age Block. I always buy singles or trade. Other then the $100 that I have spent on drafting. Wizards will never make money directly from players like myself or 95% players who play Pro Tour or only in other big tournies.
FreeBird

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ik wrote:
Is MTG-Temple getting shut down too? Cuz if not thats pretty unfair Razz

No but you get banned, gg

Also why doesn't WotC go for the kill instead of just a limb? Get to the heart of this. MWS... that gets shut down M-L becomes basically useless
Bushviper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWS has been dead for years. They are no longer working on it, now there is only a site to dl the already made files, which is impossible to stop sense if they closed that site, there are 15 billion other sites you could dl it from
Necronomicon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well legally as long as you arent making a profit they cant really sue you for copyright infringement and even if they could who are they going to go after all the people who play on the site its the same thing as the file sharing then what are they going to say we are stealing from them? the fun you have when u play magic sounds about right if you guys need help i know some real good defense lawyers just msg me in the room guys

WE HAVE TO SAVE THE LEAGUE !
unwadetrout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this as a comment to nicos message but I will repost verbatim what I said because I think its an important way to look at things.

DISCLAIMER: If you don't get my sense of humor/logic/unfaltering wit/style of dress/misinterpret my thoughtcrime please do not read as you might want to ban me. But I am only an idea? How can you ban an idea? Thoughtseize thoughtcrime? Good luck..

Anyways. On with the rant.

"Okay. I like how no adult can handle the copyright problems made by use of the internet. I think there are some similarities between this and the difference between bittorrenting stuff and burning music etc. Its just like borrowing it from a friend.

Here's an anecdote that might spark interest. It is basically what Wizards is trying to do. Which is funny because they have no control over the internet. They are just trying to make money which is okay but they are trying to put pressure in areas they can't really.

A good friend of mine, Mushmellow, and I used to play magic by writing the names of the cards on slips of paper and and shuffling them into decks. We started to do this at my elementary school because we did not have money for cards b/c our allowance was only 25 cents a week. Basically, we played eachother and that was okay. Then we started a club at our school and we advertised it as "free magic" We got other kids to learn the cards and write them on slips of paper and shuffle them together. We set up a rating system similar to the DCI and we had challenge matches at lunchtime with judges who were the kids who knew how to play better. Then we had some 4th grade mini beggers who wanted tourneys with bigger K values so they could beat scrubs who did not netdeck (like my friend Mushmellow who liked to play decks such as Turbofog, Clone and Mirror Entity Combo and Pyrric Revival, Wbxithid.dec and other crap creations which get completely pwned by 5cc and fay) Okay enough of that. So basically once we started running tourneys and Godmellow (one of the better players known for his extreme topdecking skills starting winning with a Marlen of the Mornsong and Mindlock Orb combo due to his extreme luck; also cuz he was god (with no anti-govt sentiments btw flippi for banning him)) starting pwning noobs and his rating skyrocketed. We were all having a good time until....

Wizards sent us an email. BUH ba bumM!!!!!!

They said our "free magic" was illegal and that they were going to close our club. We were just kids and like wtf and we went Lord of the Flies on there ass and pwned them good and we killed the fat one with glasses who claimed he was not going to make any money if we kept up our paper shennagigans.

So basically, the kids in my elementary school prevailed and the mellows have once again succeded.

Okay. Moral of the legend is (actually an excerpt from The Great Bible of Mellow ISBN: 432789347) is wizards can't do shit. Just how it is impossible to ban MellowThought(C) it is impossible to stop the use of Magic-League.

I would like to announce. I am Mushmellow. I am for victory. Long live magic-league.com. The capitalistic pig (no Lord of the Flies pun intended Smile ) will not prevail. Let the COLD WAR of MAGIC Begin.

We are the peasants wanadering the planes seeking a strong leader. VOTE MUSHMELLOW for 5th grade class president.

DISCLAIMER: No anti-government or anti-anyone sentiments in this post. Please do not remove for the good of magic-league. We must win this fight.

All for one and one for all.

Mellows assemble and charge. We are entering the red zone.

Damage on the stack.

Wizards epic fail. Magic-leage.com lives.

QED

</rant>"

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
UT
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necronomicon wrote:
well legally as long as you arent making a profit they cant really sue you for copyright infringement

Actually this is 100% false. Even if it was true they could argue that ad revenue = profit.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasboro probrably is losing money in the economy and forcing them to find more ways (new core set EVERY year, mythic rares, legal action against free Magic organizations) to make money or take budget cuts.

I vote budget cuts.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1