Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game state ruling.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
R3wind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Game state ruling. Reply with quote

I have a game state question that I need to ask. I have 2 Paladin en-Vec and one Figure of Destiny in play and the other side has Everlasting Torment in play.

Quote:
It is now turn 13 (Sawyer)
It is now the Beginning Phase, Untap Step
R3wind rearranges cards in R3wind's Hand
Sawyer untaps his/her permanents
It is now the Beginning Phase, Upkeep Step
It is now the Beginning Phase, Draw Step
Sawyer draws a card
It is now the Precombat Main Phase
Sawyer taps Swamp
Sawyer taps Mountain
Sawyer taps Fire-Lit Thicket
Sawyer plays Firespout from Hand

So I have played for a long time and as I understand any and all RED damage is reduced to 0.

This is from the rulebook.

Quote:
502.7.Ruling.2 - Untargeted spells and abilities which do damage will assign damage to the creature, but that damage will be prevented by the Protection ability so the damage is never actually dealt. For example, Pestilence cannot damage a White Knight. The ability is untargeted, but the damage is prevented.

I can not remember the ruling from Legends though Ravnica. Multicolored spells that do damage to a creature that has protection from just one of the colors of the spell is reduced to 0.

So do the Paladins "Wither" away or do I get to beat his head in with Paladin en-Vec x2 and my Figure of Destiny 5/5 for the win?

This is a pic of the game state! (Edit Hardtrack: Removed because it added little but messed up the boards.) I was going to win with burn anyway but I would like to know for the future. In my hand was Unmake x2, Incinerate, Flame Javelin and he was at 5 life.
FireIce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right, Everlasting Torment wont affect anything, 'cause Firespout is Red and Green, but STILL Red, and your Paladins have protection.
JKilla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ur wrong, pro red says prevent any damage from a red source, since damage cant be prevented due to torment, they all die. I know this as a fact because the interaction with burrenton forge tender is similar and i played a red deck in multiple tournaments including states where this interaction happened. This is one reason why red decks sb torment in against forge tender.
Haro
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladins die. Everlasting Torment prevents damage prevention.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doens't Everlasting Torment say on the card "DAMAGE CAN'T BE PREVENTED" and as you pointed out-

502.7.Ruling.2 - Untargeted spells and abilities which do damage will assign damage to the creature, but that damage will be PREVENTED by the Protection ability so the damage is never actually dealt. For example, Pestilence cannot damage a White Knight. The ability is untargeted, but the damage is PREVENTED.
warwizard87

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humarrogance wrote:
you're right, Everlasting Torment wont affect anything, 'cause Firespout is Red and Green, but STILL Red, and your Paladins have protection.

Fail.....

torment does not target anything and does no damage thus the pro red will not pervent any damage from red sources, now he still can not incenerate the en-vecs becouse they still cannot be targeted by red spells, but re dboard sweepers do just fine with torment out.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to update your Comprehensive Rules, that version looks ancient. What the current rulebook does say about protection is this:

502.7e Any damage that would be dealt by sources that have the stated quality to a permanent or player that has protection is prevented.

Now it does pretty much amount to the same thing. Protection tries to prevent the damage Firespout would deal to the Paladin en-Vec. But since Everlasting Torment is in play, damage can't be prevented and the protection will therefor fail in it attempt and your Paladins will take three damage, destroying them.

Also, people, try to be a little civil when pointing out mistakes, he who is without fault throw the first rock and all that.

I've also editted out the image, since it adds nothing but totally messes up the boards.
warwizard87

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one was being rude.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1