Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Math Problem!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
coolcreep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: A Math Problem! Reply with quote

Ok here is the math problem:

An infinite sequence a0, a1, a2, a3... satisfies

a(m-n) + a(m+n) = a(2m) + a(2n)

for all integers with m>=n>=0

Prove that all integers in the sequence are equal.
Onyx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.dumb.com
Amaterasu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...if n can = 0...then, damn it...it's 0...which makes the problem rather easy :/
aldaryn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original problem isn't clear... (m-n), (m+n), (2m), and (2n) are subscripts, right? I think that is where Amaterasu got confused, thinking it was normal multiplication.

Anyway, are you trying to prove that the actual integers IN the sequence are equal, i.e. a0=a1=a2=....? Your wording is not very clear.
blamin8or

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aldaryn wrote:
are you trying to prove that the actual integers IN the sequence are equal, i.e. a0=a1=a2=....? Your wording is not very clear.

coolcreep wrote:
Prove that all integers in the sequence are equal.

lol

i think the key is that all integers m>=n. Setting m=n if the series is divergent it breaks and if it is convergent it breaks so it must be neither.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a proof that was basically the same one that Evenkael used, first showing that a_0=a_2m, then showing that a_0=a_(2m-1). The problem with the proof by contradiction is that you do not justify changing a_(m+n), a_2m and a_2n all to k. By doing so you are assuming that all terms excluding a_i are equal, which is too narrow an assumption.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1