Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soul's Fire Deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Oneah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Soul's Fire Deck Reply with quote

Hey, i named this deck Soul's Fire because in my opinion its one of the best commons in Shards of Alara set, so i decided to work on a deck that could make good use of it..

First thing i did was searching for some nice fast power growth creatures and what better card for that job that a Nantuko Husk, although playing this card itself just wont do. Since i need something to feed Nantuko i decided to add some nice tokens generators like Bitterblossom and Dragon Fodder but the best combination with Nantuko Husk is really playing it with a Sprouting Thrinax making my Nantuko a 10/10 with just a single card!
Shards of Alara brings other nice cards that helps making fast high power creatures such as Predator Dragon and Thunder-Thrash Elder.
Ok, so this is all good for Soul's Fire but not only this card will be great with this deck, another nice spell which uses creatures power is Rite of Consumption and it also helps me how with life gain.
Basicly this is what the deck is all about, i've had turn 5 victorys with is deck and it doesent happen that rarely, i dont say its that high competetive deck buts i like how it ended up. I steel have some trouble with removal and counters so possibly more options will come for this deck and thats where i wanted some help with, so if you guys liked the deck and know something that might work nice with it please tell me Razz.

Here is the full list:

// Lands
4 Savage Lands
4 Swamp (4)
5 Mountain (2)
4 Graven Cairns
2 Fire-Lit Thicket
4 Reflecting Pool
1 Vivid Crag

// Creatures
2 Predator Dragon
4 Nantuko Husk
4 Sprouting Thrinax
4 Thunder-Thrash Elder
4 Flamekin Brawler

// Spells
2 Elemental Mastery
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Bitterblossom
4 Soul's Fire
4 Rite of Consumption
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your having trouble with removal and counters the card you want is thoughtseize.
trueeevil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut brawler, it does nothing. Elemental mastery also seems bad, as you want to be attacking with your creatures probably. Have you considered goblin assault? How about sarkhan vol?
Delicious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [ALA] Savage Lands
4 [SHM] Graven Cairns
2 [SHM] Fire-Lit Thicket
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
1 [LRW] Vivid Crag
5 [10E] Mountain (4)
4 [ALA] Swamp (4)

// Creatures
2 [ALA] Predator Dragon
4 [10E] Nantuko Husk
4 [ALA] Sprouting Thrinax
4 [ALA] Thunder-Thrash Elder
2 [ALA] Sarkhan Vol
2 [10E] Siege-Gang Commander

// Spells
4 [ALA] Dragon Fodder
4 [ALA] Soul's Fire
4 [SHM] Rite of Consumption
2 [ALA] Magma Spray
4 [MOR] Bitterblossom

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ALA] Caldera Hellion
SB: 4 [10E] Pyroclasm
SB: 2 [SHM] Vexing Shusher
SB: 3 [ALA] Naturalize
SB: 2 [ALA] Magma Spray

i took your build and added some things and took out some things.

i am looking into a replacement for elder, because with no evasion and no haste. he needs to be dealt with and probably will, be chump blocked to hell and never getting through.

i added the magma spray because finks and other persist creatures can get annoying. Naturalize was an easy choice, getting rid of bitterblossoms, o-rings and the such.

Shusher was because i think it was an easy choice to help the control match-up, well the counter part atleast.

i think you needed to help your Aggro match up so much, i devoted 8 slots taking it down.

take my advice or don't. i think it's still a real fun deck. keep trying Very Happy
CoreySnetsel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, it's good to see others who have somewhat of the same ideas as myself. I had originally seen something similar to this on Brainburst, and it was called Devour Madness. I worked with a bit, and came up with a STD build that was doing pretty good. I've been wanting to expand on this and do an Extended build since it would gain a little bit more speed with the Mox's, and some of the mana speed from Rites and Seething Song, Desperate Ritual, etc. Here's the STD build I did up for it:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [SHM] Fire-Lit Thicket
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [10E] Karplusan Forest
8 [UNH] Mountain
2 [UNH] Forest

// Creatures
4 [SHM] Devoted Druid
4 [RAV] Birds of Paradise
4 [ALA] Topan Ascetic
3 [ALA] Thunder-Thrash Elder
4 [EVG] Siege-Gang Commander
3 [SHM] Vexing Shusher
3 [EVE] Stigma Lasher

// Spells
4 [ALA] Goblin Assault
4 [ALA] Dragon Fodder
3 [ALA] Soul's Fire
2 [EVE] Rise of the Hobgoblins

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [SHM] Guttural Response
SB: 3 [10E] Pyroclasm
SB: 3 [ALA] Caldera Hellion
SB: 3 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [SHM] Demigod of Revenge

I was looking at a Green/Red build, and wanted to play the Goblin Assault, but didn't like the idea of having to attack each turn, enter Topan Ascetic, which pumps for tapping a creature. It kinda sucks a bit, but I had been doing really well with testing versus all the hot t2 decks out there (Kithkin/White Weenie, Zoo, and Faeries).
trueeevil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is topan ascetic doing well, it gets chumped by a spectral procession token, or a cloudgoat ranger token.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... all that trouble just to make a big Elder so that you can use your favourite card with it. At least add some way of winning when you don't have one. Like Grixis Charm (I know...no black).
Oneah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
First of all thanks for all the replys and i'm glad theres alot of people working on similar decks. I was already searching for a replacement for Flamekin Brawler, and i liked the suggestion of switching it for some thoughtseize! I also like the idea of adding Sarkhan Vol, it makes the deck alot more fast and it does help out Thunder-Thrash Elder for hiting alot of damage directly + all the tokens from Bitterblossom.
Now.. i dont think i'll be adding Siege-Gang Commander because it doesent really have the great impact on the deck, or maybe i just cant see any card to remove to put it there, but i do understand your point.
I liked alot the sideboards you guys have been showing! Caldera Hellion is a good option for SB indeed, Vexing Shusher is also a nice option for counters and Naturalize as always pretty useful vs does removal enhancements. I dont think i'll be adding Magma Spray though, i dont really like to play a card just to a purpose of killing a specific card.

Here is the latest list:

// Lands
4 Savage Lands
4 Swamp
5 Mountain
4 Graven Cairns
2 Fire-Lit Thicket
4 Reflecting Pool
1 Vivid Crag

// Creatures
2 Predator Dragon
4 Nantuko Husk
4 Sprouting Thrinax
4 Thunder-Thrash Elder

// Spells
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Bitterblossom
4 Soul's Fire
4 Rite of Consumption
2 Sarkhan Vol
4 Thoughtseize

//Sideboard
SB: 3 Caldera Hellion
SB: 4 Pyroclasm
SB: 3 Vexing Shusher
SB: 4 Naturalize

Please keep leaving the comments and thanks for help all Very Happy
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1